Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Teen dies after choking himself out for social media "blackout challenge"
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 17, 2021 06:04PM

[www.gazettenet.com]

AMHERST — An Amherst Regional Middle School student died this week after suffering critical injuries during an online challenge in which people choke themselves until they lose consciousness, according to a member of his family.

A public GoFundMe appeal established by a relative of Nate Squires states that the 13-year-old eighth grader, the son of Rachel Vieu and David Squires, died at a hospital Monday.

“Both Rachel and Dave want the world to know of the circumstances that surround Nate’s death to ensure that this does not happen to another family,” writes Samantha Thomas of Belchertown, the sister-in-law to Squires’ parents. “On June 12th, Nate was found unresponsive at home after attempting to do what is known on social media platforms as the ‘black out challenge.’”

The narrative at the fundraising site asks families to speak to children in their lives to talk about the dangers of the challenge.

“Tell them to reach out to an adult if they hear about someone they know attempting it. We hope Nate’s story can help you start this conversation in your home.”

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Teen dies after choking himself out for social media "blackout challenge"
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 17, 2021 06:09PM
you can lead a horse to water, but you can't fix stupid.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 17, 2021 06:29PM
That's so awful.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 17, 2021 06:32PM
Another case where death fixes stupid.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 17, 2021 06:33PM
Racer X

How do you define stupid? Age 13 may bring with it confusion but that hardly equates with being stupid.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: June 17, 2021 06:40PM
This thread exhibits the remarkable warmth and compassion that will surely see the human race through the challenging years ahead.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 17, 2021 08:18PM
RgrF
Racer X

How do you define stupid? Age 13 may bring with it confusion but that hardly equates with being stupid.

Confusion is not the word I would use for intentionally self harming for approval from strangers on the internet.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 17, 2021 08:22PM
13? Probably qualifies for a Darwin Award.

As my youngest is now 15, I do feel bad for the family.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 17, 2021 08:27PM
RgrF
Racer X

Thinking self strangulation at 13 is a good idea fits WELL within the definition of stupid.

You can fix ignorance. You can't fix stupid.

I ran Scout units for years, and was around thousands in the 13-21 age range. I can pretty easily differentiate stupid and ignorance at that age.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 17, 2021 08:49PM
Racer X
RgrF
Racer X

Thinking self strangulation at 13 is a good idea fits WELL within the definition of stupid.

I ran Scout units for years, and was around thousands in the 13-21 age range. I can pretty easily differentiate stupid and ignorance at that age.

So you'd realize there is a significant variance of maturity? Some young 12 year olds are more mature than older 15 year olds? I also spent a decade coaching kids in this age group, maybe you just had a better grasp of what makes an adolescent tick than I.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 17, 2021 08:52PM
I think it may be less of a matter of stupid than of judgement - they are different. Teens often don’t stop and think of consequences before they act. Either way, I don’t think this boy’s death should be treated lightly. His parents must be suffering terribly.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 17, 2021 09:41PM
The hypocrisy of many here always make me feel warm and fuzzy.

My money says most have done something in their younger years they would judge as stupid on reflection, or more likely, when done by somebody else.

Many have actually made statements to that effect.

Either they are still stupid, a very strong possibility, or some how they 'fixed stupid' before killing or severely injuring themselves.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: June 17, 2021 11:04PM
RAMd®d
My money says most have done something in their younger years they would judge as stupid on reflection, or more likely, when done by somebody else.
Macresource.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2021 11:08PM by cyclemax.
Date: June 17, 2021 11:13PM
Sure. How many of us thought... I should knock myself out, that would be so cool.....

Date: June 17, 2021 11:17PM
RgrF
Racer X
RgrF
Racer X

So you'd realize there is a significant variance of maturity? Some young 12 year olds are more mature than older 15 year olds? I also spent a decade coaching kids in this age group, maybe you just had a better grasp of what makes an adolescent tick than I.

And we had the older ones keeping an eye on the younger ones. Some needed careful "coaching".

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 17, 2021 11:28PM
cyclemax
RAMd®d
Macresource.com

Hung by our own petards — LOL!

It is what it is.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 18, 2021 08:06AM
You're saying that he could have been CONFUSED (?) about the worst possible outcome but did it anyway. I still call that stupid!

RgrF
Racer X

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 18, 2021 10:31AM
modelamac
You're saying that he could have been CONFUSED (?) about the worst possible outcome but did it anyway. I still call that stupid!

RgrF
Racer X

There is a bit going around that makes the claim that a person will become unconscious before they actually manage to strangle themselves. But that ignores that this only applies to certain methods, and even then fails to mention damage can be caused that will still kill you. A 13 year old is unlikely to have the knowledge and experience to properly evaluate what they are doing in light of the exceptions.

So stupid at one level, but can also be from ignorance of the full danger they are putting themselves into.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 18, 2021 01:38PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
This thread exhibits the remarkable warmth and compassion that will surely see the human race through the challenging years ahead.

Thank you for stating what I feel.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 18, 2021 02:04PM
Feel sorry for the kid and his parents.

Maybe we need to ban or tightly regulate social media for certain age demographics.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 18, 2021 03:54PM
Nobody here feels negatively towards that young man. It's just folk being flip for yakkin' sakes. We've all done dumb stuff in our lives and cheated death or great harm.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 18, 2021 04:01PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

Many are less adept at understanding the possibilities of worlds outside their boxes.

Some hunch their shoulders. and think, "WTF". Some feel pity. Some are in boxes so rigid and opaque, derision is their only response. Others go so far as to imply that outside their box are only those fit for dying. It takes all kinds.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 20, 2021 09:31AM
I have seen many examples of people "blacking out" without dying, of course all were on TV or in movies, so that's not a good example to go on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020