advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
“Newly discovered Vigilante malware outs software pirates and blocks them“
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 17, 2021 07:52PM
“ A researcher has uncovered one of the more unusual finds in the annals of malware: booby-trapped files that rat out downloaders and try to prevent unauthorized downloading in the future. The files are available on sites frequented by software pirates.

Vigilante, as SophosLabs Principal Researcher Andrew Brandt is calling the malware, gets installed when victims download and execute what they think is pirated software or games. Behind the scenes, the malware reports the file name that was executed to an attacker-controlled server, along with the IP address of the victims’ computers. As a finishing touch, Vigilante tries to modify the victims’ computers so they can no longer access thepiratebay.com and as many as 1,000 other pirate sites. “

[arstechnica.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “Newly discovered Vigilante malware outs software pirates and blocks them“
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 18, 2021 07:38AM
Interesting and I can understand why software companies (as well as media companies) would like such a program. However, I am bothered immensely by the likelihood of such programs being used for other purposes. What is to keep any website from blocking access to its competitors?

MS Edge blocks Firefox and Chrome; Google blocks DuckDuckGo. With the money at stake, even major companies could be tempted.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 18, 2021 04:28PM
Ombligo

MS Edge blocks Firefox and Chrome; Google blocks DuckDuckGo. With the money at stake, even major companies could be tempted.

What??? I have not seen this.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 18, 2021 04:40PM
"MS Edge blocks Firefox and Chrome; Google blocks DuckDuckGo. With the money at stake, even major companies could be tempted."

And if they get caught, the pathetically low penalties they might end up paying are written off as the cost of doing business.

If the profit is more than the penalty, it isn't a deterrent.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 19, 2021 08:17AM
space-time
Ombligo

What??? I have not seen this.

No, it is not currently happening. My point was that this technology could be used to make it happen and the potential profit would make it very tempting for a company to do so.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020