The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Reinstalling Catalina on a MacBook Pro that is having problems
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 17, 2021 11:13PM
FU on this , LOGD error on MacBook Pro

[forums.macresource.com]

Daughter is having problems with activity monitor being taken over by the LOGD. Its over 100% on the Activity monitor. She tried to reinstall Catalina from the Recovery Partition but it does not finish the install, she says. She sent me a picture and it says the operation couldn't be completed
(PKDownloadError error2)

If I download Catalina and follow the instructions for making a bootable Catalina on the USB, will she be able to install Catalina from the USB to the MacBook Pro? And would that be safe, and save her data, etc..

I am going to follow these instructions:

[support.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2021 11:30PM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Reinstalling Catalina on a MacBook Pro that is having problems
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 17, 2021 11:38PM
I wouldn't until I'd exhausted all standard troubleshooting steps starting with a safe-boot and reboot, reset SMC, zap PRAM and trash Google Chrome as well as trashing the Chrome Launch Agents in the ~/Library folder (the hidden Library folder in the user's Home folder).

...Chrome notoriously pegs the CPU and generates all kinds of errors which can mess up the logging service. It's really awful.

Edit: From your description in the previous thread, you did not successfully zap PRAM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2021 11:39PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 18, 2021 09:00AM
Sarcany, not doing the ZAP PRAM correctly, I thought not, I thought that was the one that you hold the keys down until you hear the CHIME, and then keep holding until you hear the chime again, I think we only did it once.

I have the Catalina Install USB Stick ready to go, and it works on my computer (Boots, and I can go as far as "do I want to install"

But since the Utility was there, I ran first aid on my two partitions and they came up FINE.

If we get to the point of doing all of above, and she boots into the USB Stick Catalina install, do you think it would be a good idea to run FIRST AID on both her partitions, before doing the reinstall of Catalina from the USB Stick?

Also , she told me, at me request , when I asked her if she had installed Chrome, that she deleted it, but not sure how, so I will have her uninstall that file you mentioned above, and direct her to this thread.

Thanks, So much

Tom
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 18, 2021 03:01PM
Microman
…when I asked her if she had installed Chrome, that she deleted it, but not sure how, so I will have her uninstall that file you mentioned above, and direct her to this thread.

Uninstalling Chrome is a great idea but you have to be thorough. Check this out:

[chromeisbad.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020