Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
new use for old vinyl 45s: iPod cases!
Posted by: incognegro
Date: March 13, 2007 03:03PM
[www.45ipodcases.com]

I'd like to try it myself with a heated piece of metal the same size as an iPod.
I have a giant box of old 45s on which to practice.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: new use for old vinyl 45s: iPod cases!
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: March 13, 2007 03:53PM
Very cool case--$60 shipped sounds a bit excessive.

Date: March 13, 2007 04:14PM
jimbrady
Very cool case--$60 shipped sounds a bit excessive.

yes, which is why i thought i would try it myself. ;)
(i'm all about DIY, whenever possible)

Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 13, 2007 06:01PM
And just think, in 40 years you'll be able to get iPod cases for whatever new electronic gizmo there is...
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 13, 2007 06:10PM
It's a good price when you consider they have to make some cutouts, and attach a clear acrylic window as well.

I shape acrylic/plexiglas from time to time, and it's not too tricky. But vinyl softens at just 150 degrees, so I dunno what it's like to shape. And it's also a bit brittle, so it might be hard to make the cutouts. I'd probably sandwich the 45 between two layers of masonite, drill a starter hole and then use a coping saw and clean up the edges somehow.

After making a dummy iPod out of wood, I'd pop the 45 in a preheated oven on a sheet of parchment paper. Bending it around the form would be easy.

What I'm not sure about is how to integrate the clear acrylic window. Maybe you could use some acetone to melt the plexi to glue it on? And if the plexi window fits inside the cutout space -- and anything else would be wrong, I think -- it means you'd have to get a fit that is close to exact. For that, you'd probably need to make some templates and use a carbide router or dremel bit. That works well on acrylic, but vinyl might get too hot.

I made a little iPod cabinet for my porch, and the iPod sits in a little acrylic slide out tray I formed. I wish I'd thought to make it out of an LP! I have a Sgt Pepper picture disc somewhere in the garage that would have been perfect.
Date: March 13, 2007 09:27PM
>It's a good price when you consider they have to make some cutouts, and attach a clear acrylic window as well.

I've no doubt the labor/skill involved justifies a hefty price... although calling it $45 and then charging $15 for 2-3 week shipping is bogus. Further, there's no doubt it would be possible to mass-produce these for 1/3 of that $60 (and most likely, someone will... who can afford to be sued).

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 14, 2007 01:11AM
jimbrady
>I've no doubt the labor/skill involved justifies a hefty price... although calling it $45 and then charging $15 for 2-3 week shipping is bogus. Further, there's no doubt it would be possible to mass-produce these for 1/3 of that $60 (and most likely, someone will... who can afford to be sued).

First, I suspect they went out of their way to make the basic price $45, since they're using 45s. Second, the $15 shipping is for worldwide. Third, the prices are in Canadian dollars, and $60 Canadian is about $50 in USD. Fourth, there's a world of difference between something handcrafted out of recycled pop culture, and something massproduced overseas. Fifth, assuming it could be done in mass production, you're talking about uncommon materials requiring unusual tooling, in four different sizes, and I doubt there'd be enough demand to make the cost per unit as cheap as you suggest. Finally, if you could mass produce these things for $20, you still need to make a profit, as would the retailer, so you'd probably see a retail price of $40.
Date: March 14, 2007 08:55AM
Wow.

Still not buyin'

Date: March 14, 2007 10:58AM
more expensive iPod cases:

[www.yotank.com]

[www.neimanmarcus.com]

[www.eluxury.com]
[www.eluxury.com]

[gizmodo.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 376
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020