advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any moving companies better than the next?
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 18, 2021 03:08PM
Cross country...is there a “best”?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any moving companies better than the next?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 18, 2021 04:26PM
Are you coming to NJ? Ha
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 18, 2021 04:50PM
space-time
Are you coming to NJ? Ha

The Garden state? Maybe. An invite?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 18, 2021 06:32PM
Define "best."

My opinion is any company with "students" in the name should be avoided. Being cheap and having mostly similarly motivated friends, none of the companies I have used or heard about in the last 20 years had entirely satisfied results. I imagine the shortage of truck drivers has impacted the moving industry just like all the other industries. The "pods" company can take a long time to get the load from door to door, and a quick check shows they don't have any openings until July 25th.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rz
Date: June 18, 2021 08:02PM
I've only moved long distance once, and that was almost 30 years ago and work paid for it. Local moves have all been done with companies recommended by friends.

I don't think there's an overall "best" company for long distance moves. I wouldn't go with a small company unless recommended by someone you know. And make sure whoever you go with is properly insured.

I used to hear horror stories where moving companies would quote a low amount, then basically hold your belongings hostage until you paid a huge amount at the other end. Make sure any added fees are spelled out in advance. Our last local move ended up needing an extra trip, but we knew in advance what it would cost if we needed it, which we did.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 19, 2021 08:55AM
Not really. Movers are the last regulated trucking companies (because they deal directly with the public.) Go with the cheapest or the one that can fit your schedule. Enjoy California!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 19, 2021 09:28AM
Speedy
Not really. Movers are the last regulated trucking companies (because they deal directly with the public.) Go with the cheapest or the one that can fit your schedule. Enjoy California!

Just Interstate movers have that level of regulation, local movers range from no regulation to that similar to interstate depending on the state.

Not having moved in decades, not familiar with companies currently operating and their reputations. But back then Mayflower and its coop members had a good reputation. That could have changed.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 19, 2021 10:11AM
we moved in 2005 about 150 miles across 3 states, we got 3 quotes, picked the middle quote, work paid for it. No complains, in fact quite please with those guys. 3 guys loaded, only 2 drove across and unloaded at the destination.

[www.graebel.com]

I don't know how they perform these days. I guess a lot depends on the crew you get.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 19, 2021 05:04PM
....if you keep good company [ surround yourself with good people ].....then they will move you....to tears or to happiness/contentment.....they will move you in deed.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Tiki2000
Date: June 20, 2021 02:52PM
Movers or Packers?

I've used Uhaul's PODS in the last five years. I loaded from a storage unit. Had it hauled several states away & hired some strong backs to unload it into my garage. Had no issues.
If I didn't have a place to unload to immediately, I would have probably went with the actual PODS service, but can't speak to them as a service.
YMMV
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020