advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Online ordering pet peeve
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 18, 2021 09:32PM
I just dumped a website from my email address because they required a cellphone/mobile number to complete an order.

Not going to happen.

I'm used to providing my home/landline number for transactions, but I won't provide my cellphone number.

I get enough spam on the landline, but it's easy to ignore.

Not so much with my 'Phone.

I've seen several sites that have a field for a mobile number, some saying Optional, some nothing, but ignoring it doesn't prevent the completion of an order.

I wonder if requiring a cellphone number will become a thing, with Apple's next macOS, iOS and Safari seriously reducing tracking.

My 'Phone gets very few spam calls, and I hope to keep it that way, but confidence is not high.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Online ordering pet peeve
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 18, 2021 09:51PM
So just give them your landline number....or use a google voice number.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 18, 2021 10:26PM
mattkime
So just give them your landline number....or use a google voice number.

I had a website / app, can't remember for 100% certain which one it was, which REFUSED to take my GV number instead of a cell number -- somehow it knew that it wasn't a cell number. My recollection is that the app in question was Venmo, and when I finally gave in and used my cell number, I started to get a flood of spam texts, some of which related to Venmo, but all of which were using my cell number AND my real name in the text. This is why I think Venmo is not to be trusted. If I could do it over, I would never have signed up for them, but at the time, it was the only way I had to pay a particular person.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 18, 2021 10:28PM
What’s the landline number for the White House?

Or you could give them your cellphone number and, the first time they spam you, block the number they’re calling from.
Date: June 18, 2021 11:14PM
So just give them your landline number.

Did you miss or just ignore the 'they required a cellphone/mobile number' part.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2021 11:16PM by RAMd®d.
Date: June 18, 2021 11:21PM
Or you could give them your cellphone number and, the first time they spam you, block the number they’re calling from.

Just about any modern site know whether or not one is providing an actual cellphone number.

I could have made one up, and that might have worked for multiple orders, but then someone else might be getting spam calls and/or alerts.

As far as blocking numbers is concerned, many companies have more than one unlisted outgoing number.

Not to mention my number might be sold or traded to who knows whom, and that's that many more numbers I'd have to block.

No, my 'Phone number is out there more than enough already, and there's no need for me to aid and abet a potential abuser.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 18, 2021 11:33PM
I only give my landline number for all online orders. Did I mention that landline has been inactive since 2010? Not one time previously in history have I had a company try to call me with a question about delivery.

And when you call those places that ask if they can have my number "in case we get disconnected", I always let them know I will take my chances. Before using that tactic, not once did I have a company call me back when I lost the agent on the phone.

The only company I give my phone number to is airlines when making a reservation...because they actually use it correctly.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: June 19, 2021 06:30AM
I’ve had this stop me from ordering, too - I really don’t have a cell. GV doesn’t work for them!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 19, 2021 01:07PM
PeterB
My recollection is that the app in question was Venmo, and when I finally gave in and used my cell number, I started to get a flood of spam texts, some of which related to Venmo, but all of which were using my cell number AND my real name in the text. This is why I think Venmo is not to be trusted. If I could do it over, I would never have signed up for them, but at the time, it was the only way I had to pay a particular person.

It was probably using it to verify you say you who you are, in which case I can understand why GV would fall short.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 19, 2021 05:30PM
mattkime
PeterB
My recollection is that the app in question was Venmo, and when I finally gave in and used my cell number, I started to get a flood of spam texts, some of which related to Venmo, but all of which were using my cell number AND my real name in the text. This is why I think Venmo is not to be trusted. If I could do it over, I would never have signed up for them, but at the time, it was the only way I had to pay a particular person.

It was probably using it to verify you say you who you are, in which case I can understand why GV would fall short.

My recollection is that they didn't specify why they wanted your cell number, but repeated attempts to use my GV number didn't work. That's unacceptable; they shouldn't require you to give out your cell number... but then again, nobody is forcing you to use their service. I should have known better and never signed up for it. (Oh, and did I mention that they've never acknowledged that they had a data breech and that's how the spammers/scammers got my name and cell number?) NOTE: they required a cell number to sign up for the service, NOT necessarily for verification.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2021 05:31PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 19, 2021 11:23PM
I know that I frequently use a phone number to locate people I know on Venmo. I've used it that way to send money to a couple of friends in need. I've also used it to casually bill people for simple web jobs I have done that don't require a more complicated invoice. I've billed people via Square but then they found me via a phone number and paid through Venmo so I could avoid transaction fees. So I appreciate that they require an actual cell phone as that makes payments easy. For some people its more likely that I know their phone number than their email address.

I have not experienced Venmo related spam. All of my cell phone related spam seems to originate from political campaigns or just random spammers.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020