advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I may have a root canal in my future
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 19, 2021 04:54PM
I get the pain checked out Tuesday. If the tooth is pulled, I think the gap will be visible. I have heard lots of root canals don't last all that long. I welcome your opinions, advice, and experiences.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I may have a root canal in my future
Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 19, 2021 05:05PM
Root canals are permanent. I did have some that were backfilled with something my Dentist did not like and he redid them.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 19, 2021 05:29PM
If you can at all avoid pulling an adult tooth, avoid it.
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 19, 2021 05:44PM
Heres the deal. Depending on your Genes, and if you drank sugar drinks all of you life, you will go to the dentist and have tons of cavities. Fill a few at at time. Then as you get older, the cavities will require Root Canals, and possible caps. Then while you are in Hawaii or your wife buys you some Panera Bread, and the bread is a little hard, you break off a cap. Then the dentist says you broke off more than can be fixe, and the tooth has to be pulled. And if its near the front, and its near another spot where the tooth doesn't have good projections, they may say will do "another" IMPLANT. At around $3500 each, or if there are extra charges like doing that fancy around your head X-ray, and where they fill you mouth with that goo, to make an impression of what your mouth looks like so that the artist can do their work.

I think when they advertise on TV, that you can have all new teeth in one day, they must pull all you teeth, and then implant 4 places upper and lower like implants.

Wonder how long that lasts.
Posted by: d4
Date: June 19, 2021 06:00PM
A dentist will usually try and save the tooth unless it's completely decayed or damaged. To put it in basic terms: They slice the top off like a muffin top. Dig out the dead pulp and nerves. Backfill it. And then top it off with a crown. A cap in the shape of your original tooth.

Depending on the crown material, the crown part may be what you are thinking "does not last". Not the root canal "not lasting". If it's a back tooth, not very visible, and you can afford it, go with gold.

If there is a lot of underlying damage, decay and bone loss, then implants and bridges are another option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2021 06:02PM by d4.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 19, 2021 06:05PM
Had a root canal recently for a "spot" that appeared next to the root of one of my teeth. The dentist said it was an infection, tho no explanation was offered for how it got there when I had no cavities. Got a second opinion after I saw the estimate for the whole thing, and the second dentist confirmed that a root canal was warranted.

Ultimately, was not that big a deal, other than the time and expense.

Insurance paid 1/3rd of a very big bill so still was out-of-pocket on a whole lot.

My dental office has a endodontist come in once a week for root canals and the endodontist was solidly booked for a couple of months, so had to wait for the appointment.

On the day of, I had a mold made of the tooth for a crown.

The surgery was done with a couple of shots of lidocaine. Not much different from a filling, except that she went down deep and carved out pulp and then cauterized the "canals."

Then my dentist took over, carved the remaining piece of tooth down and inserted a post into the hole. She ground it to fit and then cemented it in. I lived with the post sticking up where my tooth used to be for a couple of weeks until the crown arrived (Zirconia) and then came in for a short visit for the crown.

The crown looks fine and does the job.

Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 19, 2021 06:07PM
I was injured and in a lot of pain a couple of years ago. I must have bit, gritted my teeth quite a bit. Most of my uppers were loose. I slept wit a cheap guard to keep me from grinding at night and al of my REAL teeth firmed up. My implant did not. My dentist was amazed and I said that was my first and last implant.

Great looking bridge now.

The implant required cadaver implant and heal time. Implant and heal time. Finally the cap was installed.

My implant was there to be an anchor in my older years for a possible bridge. It became the reason I needed one.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 19, 2021 07:02PM
Good timing. I'm off to the dentist as soon as I can see him on Monday, as I managed to break off a crown with a potato chips (kettle cooked) yesterday. Had to get this onr replaced anyway but guess I'm doing ot sooner than later. And I'm scheduled for a 3rd root canal in as many years.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 19, 2021 07:28PM
....root....of all evil......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 19, 2021 07:59PM
I had a root canal in 2001 in right rearmost upper (#1) due to the dentist drilling too close to the nerve. Other than the seam between the cap and the root, I have pretty much forgotten it was done.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 20, 2021 06:11AM
I've had 2 root canals. One was fine and it's crowned. The other had to be redone because there was a hidden root offshoot (my dentist told me that was a distinct possibility with back teeth). Then it was going to need to be redone because it was still infected a year later. I stopped at that point and had my dentist pull it and put in a bridge. Obviously that would have been a several-thousand-dollar smarter choice at the beginning when my dentist gave me the warning about it possibly not getting all the root the first time he told me.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: June 20, 2021 07:02AM
I have a front tooth that died when I was in college - about 30 years ago, it got a pocket of infection and I had a root canal done on it - the dentist was shocked when I told him that I didn't need novacaine. The tooth was DEAD - no anesthesia needed. About 20 years ago it started to be painful again and x-ray indicated a tiny pocket at the base, so again root canal - again surprised dentist when I said no anesthesia. No crown and it is holding so far.
Posted by: mspace
Date: June 20, 2021 09:21AM
Had a number of root canals. They all last.

Have one implant because a root canal tooth had completely cracked after many years. The crown came out with the post. My dentist said he remembered it had a slight crack when he did the work on it about 15 years earlier. It was now not able to handle any fixes.

I kept it in and let the supervised resident at the dental school pull it at the time of inserting the implant post to minimize bone loss (which starts as soon as there's a 'hole".) Columbia Dental School did a great job and my dentist was very impressed with the work. I was equally impressed with the much lower cost.

Reputable dental schools are a great way to keep costs down and get a complete job done, since learning means not skipping steps, etc.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 20, 2021 04:18PM
Had my first root canal done on a premolar a few years back.

Local endodontist did the actual root canal...recommend over a dentist.

My dentist warned me in his experience where it's located the crown will eventually fail & will need to be replaced with an implant...may that be many, many years from now...smiling smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 21, 2021 08:09AM
....3 root canals....one implant when one of the root canals had cracked tooth......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 372
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020