advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Back from our Western US roadtrip
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 19, 2021 11:18PM
Got back last night and got all settled today. We were gone almost 2 weeks total driving cross country from WI to WY pulling a travel trailer.

Among other stops we went to the Badlands, Black Hills, Grand Teton, Custer, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Big Sky, and a bunch of state parks along the way as well as attending a wedding in Alpine, WY.

We had a complete blast! Would highly recommend the route to anyone, definitely worth it. Ended up driving 3162 miles total and averaged 9.2 MPG, mosty pulling the trailer but some detached on location driving mixed in as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Back from our Western US roadtrip
Date: June 19, 2021 11:22PM
Some Highlights all taken with an iPhone 12.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2021 11:22PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 19, 2021 11:29PM
Very nice! Looks like fun!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 19, 2021 11:32PM
......once had a really great trip.....but involved LSD......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 20, 2021 12:29AM
I think I see Richard Dreyfuss.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 20, 2021 12:44AM
Those photos are dazzling!
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 20, 2021 02:14AM
how much did you spend on gas?
Date: June 20, 2021 03:30AM
space-time
how much did you spend on gas?

$1045.72 for 343 gallons of gas. Most expensive was in Jackson, WY @ $3.44. Cheapest was $2.74 in Sioux Falls, SD.

Had to stop for gas every 3 or so hours which while annoying at first worked out well for stretch breaks. In some places gas was far apart and I did a few small fills to ensure I would make it with plenty of margin to the next stop.

I almost ran out of gas in Sheridan, WY. Put 25.5 gallons in on a 26 gallon tank, that was about 3-4 miles away from running completely dry. Cutting it way closer than I ever wanted. I tried to fill at somewhere between a half and a quatre remaining. The gauge isn't quite linear and I thought I could easily make 35ish miles on a quarter tank to save $5 on the fill. Didn't realize that it was all uphill to the next station and that the last quarter tank wasn't really a quarter of the tank.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2021 03:31AM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 20, 2021 04:03AM
why didn't you take a 5 gallon gas canister along?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 20, 2021 05:37AM
took a more southern route with my folks 55 years ago.
In a giant motor home on a pick up kind of rig.
This looks spectacular as well.
Beautiful country we have.
But think I'd do it now in a teardrop.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 20, 2021 06:09AM
Congrats. Your family will always remember this trip.

Also, you managed to spend only 33¢/mile for gas. We made a similar trip although longer driving a less efficient vehicle and paid $1/mile back when gas was $4/gallon.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DP
Date: June 20, 2021 06:38AM
Glad you had a good time! We did two weeks in '18. Originally, we also had a wedding to attend-in San Diego in which we were going to fly-but decided to just drive for two weeks. Did Route 66 including Tulsa and Albuquerque, then Grand Canyon (staying in Flagstaff in a 25 foot AirB&B booked trailer!), then S.D. for the wedding, then Tucson to visit my cousin, then home.

Was a great trip and we'll head back out again some day. Still a lot to see of our country...

Do you have more images?

Sometimes I feel like this-

Me being the Hammerhead...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: June 20, 2021 06:54AM
Awesome, fun trip. In 2018 we landed in Phoenix, and by bus tour went from there, up to the Grand Canyon, and ended in Las Vegas, 10 days all together. We opted to have a pro drive us. Tons of things to see and do.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 20, 2021 08:32AM
Sounds wonderful.
We drove from Denver up to Cody, stayed in Yellowstone for a few days, down through Grand Teton, Jackson Hole, and back to Denver, several years ago. It was a great trip. There is no place on earth like Yellowstone.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 20, 2021 08:48AM
C(-)ris,

The USA is such a beautiful country!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you and your family could take that trip. More folks should in order to appreciate what we have.

We took 2 of those trips; the first one of 6 weeks back in 2010 starting in the Wisconsin Dells on out to Yellowstone (+ everything in between) down to the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Carlsbad, back up to Pikes Peak then across Nebraska to our kids in mid-Illinois --> MI.

The second, longer trip in 2019 covered a lot of the same plus Glacier Nat'l Pk, through Utah again , California's Sequoia NP, Yosemite, Coastal highway from Frisco to Santa Barbara, down along the border to El Paso, San Antonio, Dallas (our 2 boys) then home to MI (about 10k miles).

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2021 08:56AM by modelamac.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 20, 2021 10:42AM
That trip does sound like fun! Thanks for posting the pics. thumbs up

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: June 20, 2021 12:44PM
space-time
why didn't you take a 5 gallon gas canister along?

We don’t have a generator and didn’t think we would need one. Other than my poor decision to try and save a few bucks passing by a station our route had no places where gas was going to be a concern. Even Yellowstone has stations in it.

I’m thinking about buying a generator for the next trip to run the AC in the camper and then we can boondock on BLM land next time and save a few bucks on camp sites every day or two.

I’ll post the rest of my pictures when I get them uploaded into iCloud.

C(-)ris
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 20, 2021 10:16PM
3.44 is cheaper than anywhere in CA by at least 50 cents.

There’s always more gas in the filler pipe. At least 2 gallons.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 393
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020