advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Moving from Drobo to Synology
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 20, 2021 03:32PM
My Drobo 5D is not working correctly and after uploading all the information to Drobo they are telling me it is failed. I am planning to move to Synology although I haven’t decided on which model. I have some questions I’m hoping someone can help me with.

1) Will I be able to expand the size of my raid array by simply swapping in a larger capacity drive as I do with my Drobo?

2) I will need to restore my iTunes library from back up. What is the best way to handle this? Do I simply restore the files to the new drive and change the library location in preferences? Or is there a better way?

3) Some of the Synology’s have a 2 GHz Intel Celoron 4 core processor while others have the AMD Rison 4 core 2.2 GHz processor. He is one better than the other? I am anticipating running a Plex server on the Synology so transcoding speed would be important.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2021 03:33PM by davemchine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Moving from Drobo to Synology
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 20, 2021 03:48PM
davemchine
My Drobo 5D is not working correctly and after uploading all the information to Drobo they are telling me it is failed. I am planning to move to Synology although I haven’t decided on which model. I have some questions I’m hoping someone can help me with.

1) Will I be able to expand the size of my raid array by simply swapping in a larger capacity drive as I do with my Drobo?

Yes. There is a procedure to replace hard drives with larger ones to increase capacity. If you buy a Synology that is 4 or more bays, you can create separate storage pools (ie: 2 separate raids). Or you can install a hard drive as a hot spare.

davemchine
2) I will need to restore my iTunes library from back up. What is the best way to handle this? Do I simply restore the files to the new drive and change the library location in preferences? Or is there a better way?

Can't answer this as I'm not using mine for iTunes. I should probably look into this.

davemchine
3) Some of the Synology’s have a 2 GHz Intel Celoron 4 core processor while others have the AMD Rison 4 core 2.2 GHz processor. He is one better than the other? I am anticipating running a Plex server on the Synology so transcoding speed would be important.

I have the INTEL Atom C2538, but I'm not running a video server on it yet. I have it loaded up with videos that feed my TV's and haven't had an issue. However, they are all transcoded as h264 or h265 IIRC.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 20, 2021 04:35PM
“ change the library location in preferences? “

Yes, or just hold down the option key, launch iTunes, choose “Open Library” and navigate to the new location.

iTunes will use the last library launched as the default.

You can do this with Photos/iPhoto as well.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 20, 2021 04:54PM
Than you for the help. My Drobo uses an SSD to handle burst file access. I see the Synology’s have TWO slots for SSD but I’m unclear why they have two. I’m also unclear if my existing SSD will work in the Synology.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 20, 2021 05:53PM
I believe that they are set up to use 2.5 or 3.5 inch drives. No reason that a 2.5 SSD couldn't be used.

If you go to the Synology site, you can download manuals. There are also a ton of Synology related videos on YouTube.
Posted by: John B.
Date: June 20, 2021 05:58PM
davemchine

When I was shopping for a NAS, word was that if you wanted to run add-ons like video servers, buying a Intel-based Synology was the way to go. I run Plex on mine (DS1019+) with no issues.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 20, 2021 06:14PM
[www.macworld.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 21, 2021 09:14AM
davemchine
Than you for the help. My Drobo uses an SSD to handle burst file access. I see the Synology’s have TWO slots for SSD but I’m unclear why they have two. I’m also unclear if my existing SSD will work in the Synology.

It depends.

Some NAS models have can use SSDs for caching frequently accessed files, not as actual storage. Others may be the opposite.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: June 21, 2021 02:10PM
I read this as 'from Drobo to Scientology'

and over the two, my vote is to stay with Drobo.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 394
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020