AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Spectum is now history
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 22, 2021 05:19AM
for us,

AMOUNT DUE $249.01
Payment Due By June 24th

Into the streaming wilderness we go. As a result of Pandemic Splurge we're already on Hulu/Netf-cks/AMZPrime/Disney+ and others I've yet to find.

Time for a forensic accounting. I can hear the howls emanating already some from family piggy-backers more than 50 miles away and some in the household. Suspect it's gonna' be a rocky month or two.

Hints and helps accepted.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Spectum is now history
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 22, 2021 08:06AM
My spectrum internet bill is about $70/month. If I add in Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ it’s maybe $100/month. Not sure what else you’d be getting to justify another $150!?!?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Randalls
Date: June 22, 2021 08:14AM
We just cut the cord after decades of cable with Comcast. I bought a $25 dollar antenna from Monoprice for local prime and side channels. We had Amz Prime, Netflix, Paramount (CBS), Hulu w/ads. Comcast offers a ‘Flex’ streaming box for free that includes Peacock Plus (NBC) which I was unaware of so we also have Peacock free via Roku. We use a ROKU and OTA primarily.

We picked up HBO Max and PHILO through Roku.
PHILO has 63 channels and was $20 per month (with 1 month Cloud DVR) which includes BBC America and some other ‘go to’ channels for us. The recent price increase to $25 a month comes with unlimited Cloud DVR.
WAY too many channels including the free to stream Pluto and Tubi. We also have access to PBS Passport through a monthly donation of around $6.

HBO Max has some TCM movies as well as Anime in addition to it’s own line up.

If you like sports and TCM we looked at FUBO and even more pricey is YouTube TV.

We love Kanopy (also Roku) which we get free from the local library at 4 shows a month for EACH library card holder. My daughter lives near Chicago in a larger town gets 16 shows a month for each library card.
They have a great selection of movies and documentaries.

My daughter just gifted us Critereon for a Birthday/Fathers Day present. They have an amazing collection of classics also.

The hard part will be deciding what to drop as there are no contracts and if not using that service at the time can always be put on hold and added again later. Some of our deals were Black Friday discounts so not too much $$$. But yeah, relearning where your favorite shows are located and remembering which channels are offering which content is a learning curve. Plus maybe investing in an OTA DVR one of these days makes it harder but we still managed to save over $100 per month with more channels than you can shake a stick at.

The Roku Ultra (2020 model) is currently on sale at BV for $69 and includes BT and Atmos.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 22, 2021 09:49AM
Our Spectrum hovers at $250.. that is cable, Internet, and telephone.

We do need the internet and phone which make up about $110 of that. Cable could go in my opinion but the wife says otherwise - vehemently. We also have HBO ($14/month) that I would love to drop - no go. The kids pay for Hulu, Netflix, and Disney - with Disney being the only one I generally watch.

Regardless, I value my remaining body parts too much to go against Mrs. ombligo. She grew up using a machete, so I know better.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Randalls
Date: June 22, 2021 10:03AM
We had the triple play for Cable, Phone and Internet for around $210 (including HBO) via Comcast. We already had transferred our land line number to Ooma Telo years ago for $6 a month. So dropping cable with phone was an easy choice. Comcast. Originally quoted @ $100 for internet only but through negotiation now have 400 Mbs for @ $60 plus tax plus the ‘flex’ box for internet customers only. I have used flex 1 time.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 22, 2021 10:25AM
PlutoTV is a great substitute for basic cable.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 22, 2021 10:31AM
$94 for internet and cell phone here. Overpaying for internet, but $14 for cellular helps compensate for it.
We’ve been using a giant outdoor antenna in the attic for OTA TV for 8 years, ever since I suggested it to my reluctant wife. We’re both surprised that we don’t miss cable. Plus, the picture quality is excellent.
We do have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but we still save lots of money over having cable.

If my wife were trained with a machete, though, I’d never have suggested a trial of a cable-free existence.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 22, 2021 10:37AM
Dayum. We are at $108 for ATT FiOS, which is basic TV + 300/300 net, no land line.

My neighbor keeps telling me he's got 1.2 GB comcast + MLB(?), for a 5 year old laptop and his kids xbox, and I cringe everytime I think about his bill.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 22, 2021 10:39AM
Just did my yearly rate dance with Comcast/Xfinity. Though it took a couple of days to get ahold of an actual human my ‘up to 400mbps internet went down $10 to $50 per month. Got discount for Paperless billing, autopay (to a credit card), having an Xfinity Mobile phone account, and agreeing to a two year contract. Not concerned about the time requirement s as i think it will be a while before 5g makes that market competitive.

i pay for subs to Hulu, Netflix, and Paramount Plus. Don’t count Amazon prime as i’d pay for that anyway.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 22, 2021 08:02PM
If you're in a good spot you can get TMobile internet for $50 a month. I have a friend who has it and says it's fine. Our local utility provides internet for $47 so we haven't looked at TMobile.

If you're near a city, an antenna is a nice way to get local channels, of course. Add Philo for $25 and you've got a pretty good setup. By the way, if you have Tmobile cell service, they're subsidizing $10 of Philo (and also $10 of YoutubeTV) on some plans. We have the old-guy $70 for 2 lines unlimited plan and get both of those subsidies. If you're not near a city, you might consider using Locast if it's available in your area. You can get the networks and a number of other channels for a $5 (optional) contribution per month.

We have too many services. We subscribe to YoutubeTV as our basic service. I got Hulu for $2 a month on Black Friday and bought several years of Disney when they first started it. I got Philo for $10 a month (net) several months ago because I miss the History Channel. We get Netflix for free through TMobile and we have Amazon Prime, really for the shipping, but I do watch some Amazon Prime shows. I really can't watch all we have but I haven't dropped any of the services. With all of that, we are paying less than we payed with cable.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 22, 2021 08:46PM
....spec.....ulum.....?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 22, 2021 09:51PM
Michael
If you're in a good spot you can get TMobile internet for $50 a month. I have a friend who has it and says it's fine. Our local utility provides internet for $47 so we haven't looked at TMobile.

If you're near a city, an antenna is a nice way to get local channels, of course. Add Philo for $25 and you've got a pretty good setup. By the way, if you have Tmobile cell service, they're subsidizing $10 of Philo (and also $10 of YoutubeTV) on some plans. We have the old-guy $70 for 2 lines unlimited plan and get both of those subsidies. If you're not near a city, you might consider using Locast if it's available in your area. You can get the networks and a number of other channels for a $5 (optional) contribution per month.

We have too many services. We subscribe to YoutubeTV as our basic service. I got Hulu for $2 a month on Black Friday and bought several years of Disney when they first started it. I got Philo for $10 a month (net) several months ago because I miss the History Channel. We get Netflix for free through TMobile and we have Amazon Prime, really for the shipping, but I do watch some Amazon Prime shows. I really can't watch all we have but I haven't dropped any of the services. With all of that, we are paying less than we payed with cable.

Classic case of "Going Broke Saving Money." startrek 2 Me trying to utilize some our lesser used emojis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020