advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stinky Fertilizer
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 22, 2021 02:20PM
I opened up a clear plastic bag containing Miracle Grow that was sitting in the sun, and whew!

It had a powerful odor of ammonia.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stinky Fertilizer
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 22, 2021 02:56PM
No surprise there. Anyhydrous Ammonia is the primary chemical fertilizer for massive doses of Nitrogen.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: June 22, 2021 02:57PM
Ammonium nitrate is a chemical compound with the chemical formula NH 4 NO 3. It is a white crystalline solid consisting of ions of ammonium and nitrate. It is highly soluble in water and hygroscopic as a solid, although it does not form hydrates. It is predominantly used in agriculture as a high-nitrogen fertilizer.

I guess that explains it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 22, 2021 03:01PM
....does it smell like....stinky....tofu.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 22, 2021 03:32PM
Thermal decomposition of ammonium nitrate. It starts with the endothermic (energy absorption, ie heat from the sun's rays) decomposition to form nitric acid and ammonia. At higher temperatures, a different, exothermic reaction occurs, resulting in rapidly expanding gas production (ie BOOM). Your fertilizer has other plant nutrients mixed in, so the BOOM part probably can't happen.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: June 22, 2021 07:24PM
cbelt3
No surprise there. Anyhydrous Ammonia is the primary chemical fertilizer for massive doses of Nitrogen.

Anhydrous ammonia is put in a tank. It looks just like a LP gas tank . A coworker forgot to bleed off. the fittings once . Ended up with a blister the. size of a baseball on his arm .
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 22, 2021 08:35PM
Fred_Also
Ammonium nitrate is a chemical compound with the chemical formula NH 4 NO 3. It is a white crystalline solid consisting of ions of ammonium and nitrate. It is highly soluble in water and hygroscopic as a solid, although it does not form hydrates. It is predominantly used in agriculture as a high-nitrogen fertilizer.

I guess that explains it.

And ANFO bombs.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020