advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Choosing an optometrist/receiving satisfactory eye-wear?
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: June 22, 2021 07:16PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 07:57PM by DewGuy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Choosing an optometrist/receiving satisfactory eye-wear?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 22, 2021 07:42PM
Is the optometrist not doing a good job measuring your vision, or not getting a good set of glasses that fit you right?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 22, 2021 07:46PM
I go to an optometrist every year or so. I've never really worried about who I go to and I've always gotten a script that works (save 1 time 20 years ago). I do check the script and be sure that it's much like the last one but perhaps a bit stronger.

I buy my glasses from Zenni Optical. I use bifocals and they run somewhere around around $65. I've been using the same frame for 15 years and it's a simple process to update my prescription with them. If you need just regular glasses, they start at $7 plus $5 to ship an order. It's a pretty small investment to try them out.

My wife just recently went to bifocals but before would buy a dozen pair from Zenni, half distance glasses and half reading glasses. They would run about $125 for all of them. She'd scatter them around the house and cars so she could always find glasses. Now she just wears her bifocals all the time.
Date: June 22, 2021 08:10PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 07:57PM by DewGuy.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 22, 2021 08:34PM
If you live in SoCal check with Roski Eye Institute. Top notch.
Date: June 22, 2021 08:46PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 07:58PM by DewGuy.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 22, 2021 08:52PM
DewGuy
RgrF

Thanks, but I'm in Michigan.

It'll be a long drive but they do validate parking.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 22, 2021 10:11PM
1. Try yelp?

2. Go with an ophthalmologist with an in-house optician?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 22, 2021 10:35PM
Ask someone wearing glasses.

Are there any particular challenges with your vision?

Did you make additional trips when you were unhappy with the result?

Posted by: jdc
Date: June 22, 2021 10:51PM
We have used Costco for years, never ever an issue.

Recently, my oldest dropped into a target, cause she saw frames in the window she liked. Eye exam, fitting, insurance handling and speed were all *excellent*.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: June 22, 2021 10:56PM
Your optometrist should be able to check your glasses to make sure they match your prescription.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 22, 2021 11:06PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 07:58PM by DewGuy.
Date: June 22, 2021 11:10PM
RgrF
DewGuy
RgrF

Thanks, but I'm in Michigan.

It'll be a long drive but they do validate parking.

smiley-laughing001

Posted by: Diana
Date: June 23, 2021 01:09AM
DewGuy,

I’ve a confession to make: I’ve worn glasses since I was three years old; this year I turned 60. I don’t remember when I started wearing bifocals, sometime in late elementary school I think. I have a “lazy eye” and the remains of astigmatism that has largely cleared up. I have cataracts building in both eyes, but as my vision is still correctable to 20/20, my doctor won’t do the surgery (yet). My dad was far sighted, mom is nearsighted and things are blurry no matter the distance. I still wear bifocals (and yes, I know my glasses are “cracked”).

I get my vision checked every year, just another yearly doctor visit. I choose to go to an ophthalmologist for my eye care. I could go to an optometrist, as they are similar. I feel that the ophthalmologist has a better understanding since I seem to be one of those individuals who have multiple vision problems; put the wrong glasses on me (or make them just a little off) and it will trigger balance and nausea issues that don’t go away with just taking the glasses off a few minutes. I’ve had a few pairs made that caused problems that didn’t clear up with “just getting used to them”, and when the problem couldn’t or wouldn’t be fixed I have had to go back to the old glasses. It’s rare, but it does happen.

Oklahoma City is quite a distance for you to have to drive; additionally they don’t validate parking either smiley-signs006 so I can’t advise who to go to. I have had my glasses made at a location near my house, but lately I’ve not received good service from there so next time I’ll go elsewhere. As they say YMMV. The Costco just up the street opened last week… big grin smiley

Take heart: you WILL find someone you like and you can relate to. Ask around to those you see wearing glasses. Tell them what you are looking for and ask if they have had problems with the glasses they got from wherever they got them from. Solicit advice. Folks who are happy with their providers will be happy to tell you about it. Those who have had poor service will also be happy to tell you about it, as well. rolleyes smiley

Diana
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 23, 2021 08:49AM
To find an optometrist, try searching previous posts on social media (Nextdoor is great for that). I guarantee that has been asked before - start reading and you'll likely see the same few names come up repeatedly.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2021 08:50AM by Ombligo.
Date: June 23, 2021 09:20PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 07:58PM by DewGuy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020