advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not a red meat eater but
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 23, 2021 05:30PM
Went to grocery today for a pound of hamburger for a dish to cook. My gosh the prices! A pound of hamburger an arm and a leg. Even the mark down meat was super high. Glad red meat only an occasional meal (s)for me?

Inflation is here in spades!!!!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not a red meat eater but
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 23, 2021 05:36PM
I think we're going to see inflated grocery prices across the board for some time to come...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 23, 2021 05:41PM
How much do an arm and a leg go for in your area?

Buying meat directly from farmers seems to have largely insulated me from these fluctuations and its a higher quality product.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 23, 2021 05:53PM
I'll wait for it to go on sale for just a leg -- I can't afford to give up my last arm.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2021 05:54PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 23, 2021 06:11PM
I haven't noticed. We get our beef, pork and poultry from local farmers.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 23, 2021 06:13PM
Yes, much higher. Beef, and to a lesser extent, pork. And chicken.
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 23, 2021 06:21PM
There's an estimate of a 5.3% COLA for SS recipients for 2022. Inflation is here for a while, anyway. The Fed is talking about raising interest rates earlier than they had previously anticipated. I bet we'll see an increase in 2022. But, what do I know...

[www.cnbc.com]

[www.cnbc.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 23, 2021 06:33PM
Glad I only eat seafood animal protein, and not a lot of that.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 23, 2021 06:52PM
....you just.....red.....my mind.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 23, 2021 07:09PM
Doesn't seem that high here. I was in WY last week and went to Albertson's and was surprised at how inexpensive the meet was. I always thought WI had relatively cheap prices already and was expecting to pay more but it was a bit cheaper in reality.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Forrest
Date: June 23, 2021 09:45PM
No change in price for the last year - still around $5.00 a pound. Was sometimes scarce though.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 23, 2021 10:04PM
Beyond burgers down to two for $3.99 at my local grocery store, $4.99 for the "brick."

Short of a prime steakhouse steak, Beyond kicks meat's butt and rubs its face in the dirt.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 23, 2021 10:54PM
....so its....Beyond.....meat.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 24, 2021 04:56AM
smiley-music039

Ombligo
I'll wait for it to go on sale for just a leg -- I can't afford to give up my last arm.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 24, 2021 06:02AM
And as usual the farmer isn't getting anymore now than they were 5 years ago or 2 years ago for that matter. Even during at the height of food hoarding due to Covid the price paid at the auction houses remained steady and many in the SE trended lower. Our son, that graduated with a pre-med and biology degree with honors, farms full-time now. He has transitioned into selling 6 month old calves direct from his farm and comes out a bit better that way. The majority of buyers of his calves are herd building but who knows after they leave here. Many are buying his Hereford calves trying to transition away from Black Angus because many are tired of dealing with the temperament of the Black Angus breed.

His YouTube channel:
[www.youtube.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 24, 2021 07:33AM
I've been paying $2.99lb for 80/20; ALDI just raised their price to $3.19.
Local store has a special this month on 81/19 for $2.99lb & if they're
out, they'll give you 90/10 for the same price if you ask. Same store has
beautiful, thick, boneless ribeye steaks for $5.99lb.
I've also seen 73/27 as low as $2.39lb but it's too fatty for me.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 24, 2021 11:19AM
Sarcany,

Wonder how a Beyond Burger compares to an Impossible Burger. Tried Impossible Burgers out of curiosity multiple times and I'll still only give them an A for effort. They can't match the real thing. Can hide the difference with condiments and add-ons like pickles and onions to make them good enough but that's about it.

Robert
Date: June 24, 2021 01:57PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

Wonder how a Beyond Burger compares to an Impossible Burger. Tried Impossible Burgers out of curiosity multiple times and I'll still only give them an A for effort.

Impossible tastes like good -- but not great -- ground beef. Doesn't match a high quality beef burger, but can substitute if you're not picky.

Beyond does not taste like meat. It tastes infinitely better than meat, deep and savory.

Date: June 24, 2021 03:15PM
Sarcany,

And therein lies the problem. If Beyond Burger is being pushed as an alternative to beef then it needs to taste like beef. Not necessarily better than beef or a deep and savory something. It needs to taste like beef. Sounds to me based on what you're saying Beyond Burger doesn't do that. For someone like me, that's an insurmountable problem.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2021 03:15PM by Robert M.
Date: June 24, 2021 03:33PM
Grateful11
Even during at the height of food hoarding due to Covid the price paid at the auction houses remained steady and many in the SE trended lower.

Farmers were digging trenches, killing and burying finished animals because slaughterhouses weren’t able to run at capacity.

Date: June 24, 2021 05:49PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

And therein lies the problem. If Beyond Burger is being pushed as an alternative to beef then it needs to taste like beef. Not necessarily better than beef or a deep and savory something. It needs to taste like beef. Sounds to me based on what you're saying Beyond Burger doesn't do that. For someone like me, that's an insurmountable problem.

You don't get it.

Beyond is better than beef, but you can sub it for ground beef in almost every recipe. And it makes those recipes better than they'd be with beef.

Because it's vastly superior in flavor.

Plain burger. No prob.
Burger with cheese. Yep.
Burger with cheese and fixin's? Hell yes!
Meatloaf? Best you've ever tasted.
Mix with macaroni? Killer!
Meatballs? You betcha!
Meat sauce? OMG you've never had meat sauce this good!

I made sloppy Joes with it the other day with fresh crushed garlic and diced onion and a little canned diced tomato... Same recipe I've used for decades with ground beef, but Beyond brought it to a new level.

Biggest problem is that they're so good that they're addictive. You're not going to lose weight on Beyond burgers. You're gonna head back for seconds and lick the plate.

Date: June 25, 2021 04:25AM
Sarcany,

I do get it. I just don’t agree with your perspective and I don't think you truly understand the point I'm trying to get across to you. I’m not necessarily looking for something that is “better” than beef or "superior" to it. I want an alternative to beef that looks, smells, feels and taste like beef.

It's like why people choose White Castle hamburgers over its competitors at times. Sure, you can get a superior or better burger from any number of other fast food joints. Doesn't matter though. There is something about White Castle hamburgers that is just right and nothing else compares to them. You want that look, taste, smell and feel of a White Castle burger, then you have no choice. You have ot get a White Castle burger.

For some, like myself, it's the same way with beef and alternatives to it like Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger. Want beef? Get the real thing because, right now, the alternatives still don't look,, taste, feel and smell just like it. At least not to my senses.

Robert

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2021 08:30AM by Robert M.
Date: June 25, 2021 10:16AM
I just wish the veggie beef had fewer calories than the real stuff.

Date: June 25, 2021 02:09PM
Robert M
I want an alternative to beef that looks, smells, feels and taste like beef.

This is definitely some sort of communications-gap.

I don't understand why you'd demand an inferior experience. What's wrong with "better than meat" ...? Would you turn down kuroge wagyu because it's better than domestic beef?

Robert M
It's like why people choose White Castle hamburgers over its competitors at times. ... You want that look, taste, smell and feel of a White Castle burger, then you have no choice. You have ot get a White Castle burger.

Sometimes I get a craving for White Castle, and sometimes I succumb and grab some. I always get sick afterwards and sometimes throw up.

It's not something that I want every day.

People choose White Castle because it's total cr@p and sometimes you just need a fix of total cr@p in your life.

Wanting that all the time is weird.

Date: June 25, 2021 04:29PM
Sarcany,

It isn't a communications gap. It is an unwillingness to understand gap. You seem unwilling to try and see this from my perspective.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 07:30AM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020