advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help with OWC Order. Drive and External Case and which of two Types of drives
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 25, 2021 01:25PM
As you know I have a Early 2015 MacBook Pro, 2.9 mhm, with a currently not working 500 gig hd.

Its a 12,1 model

There are two types of OWC replacement ssd drives available for it, well more, but two that are labeled OWC brand.

I have ordered the adapter and drive as recommended, but having second thoughts.

So give me an explanation of the two drives that show up. what is the difference?

Aura N2 Ssd 480 gB
OWC Auro Pro X2 SSD Blade Only 480GB
480 OWC Aura N2 SSD Complete UPgrade Solution
480 OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD UPgrade Solution
1 TB Aura N2 Complete SSD Upgrade Solution

Somebody give me an idea, what would be the best bang for the buck. IF she doesn't need more than 480 and been living with 500. Make that the same, but if going to 1 TB is not that much more, Maybe I would go for it.

And what's the difference between buying OWC on Amazon and buying Direct?, if any?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2021 01:27PM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help with OWC Order. Drive and External Case and which of two Types of drives
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 25, 2021 01:47PM
Links?
Re: Help with OWC Order. Drive and External Case and which of two Types of drives
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 25, 2021 02:02PM
Cant see any reason for second thoughts... tons of peeps have used the adapter... including me. ;)

You could always online chat with OWC.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 25, 2021 03:59PM
Aura N2:
Read speeds up to 2200MB/s
Write speeds up to 952MB/s

Aura Pro X2:
Read speeds up to 3282MB/s
Write speeds up to 2432MB/s

Auro Pro X2 is faster than the N2, that's your difference. She probably doesn't need the speed.

As to the various "upgrade solutions" we'd probably need links. I assume they include tools and maybe the external case for the Apple SSD?

Best bang for the buck? Adapter plus any off the shelf M.2 SSD.

Microman
And what's the difference between buying OWC on Amazon and buying Direct?, if any?

OWC direct is cheaper. Amazon (potentially) gets you "free" prime shipping (faster, but built into the higher price).
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 25, 2021 04:02PM
jdc
Cant see any reason for second thoughts... tons of peeps have used the adapter... including me. ;)

Me too. Currently running an 8TB M.2 SSD in my 2015 MBP 15".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020