advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Groundhog under my deck!
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 26, 2021 10:35AM
We saw an animal in the backyard, by the time I got to the window to take a good look it came closer to the house and I got a good look for about 3 seconds before it went under the deck.

At first I thought it was a beaver (had a flat tail), but there is no lake nearby, and I think it is more likely it was a ground hog.

first time I see this in our backyard, I hope it does not make a nest here.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Groundhog under my deck!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 26, 2021 10:37AM
....so for you....today......it is Groundhog's....day.....????

......guys always like looking at beavers and hope to see them as often as possible.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 10:38AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: June 26, 2021 11:07AM
Groundhogs are hard to get rid off. If you don’t want him under your deck, you should chase him away, fill up his hole and put a skirt around your deck to keep him out. Ground hogs have a hard time digging thru gravel/rocks, so you could also fill a 4 inch deep by 1 foot wide area around your deck with gravel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 11:08AM by Forrest.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 26, 2021 11:32AM
We love groundhogs, they set up camp in our yard last year and had babies. They're very cute, as long as you don't have vegetables growing at ground level. Funny mannerisms, too.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 26, 2021 12:04PM
[www.offthegridnews.com]

Anyone living near areas prone to flooding receives benefits from burrowing animals as rainwater infiltrates these ground level holes. This helps carry the water into the soil where it can seep in and be stored instead of simply running over and off the land, often carrying with it vital nutrients needed for crop production. In similar fashion, the numerous burrows created by these animals help to store carbon and aerate the soil with much-needed oxygen. We spend a great deal of time and effort to create compost, but these animals carry with them into their burrows essential fungal spores, plant matter, feces and other organic matter deep into the earth. This natural and subterranean composting adds value to plant roots and doesn’t need human intervention to accumulate. Allowing such animals to thrive in limited numbers is almost like enlisting free labor for the effectual conditioning of the land for farming use.

Soil conditioning is not the only added value brought to the landowner by these burrowing animals. Another added and free benefit: insect control. Without the voracious appetite of moles, armadillos, skunks and other ground dwellers, insect and some other rodent populations would explode. It is no stretch of the imagination to envision whole crop failures due to uncontrolled insect and rodent populations. Chemical insecticides and organic control methods combined could not mimic the level of regulation exacted by burrowing animals.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 26, 2021 12:06PM
But, they are destructive when they dig, and man, can they dig! We had them with babies in my old barn that has a dirt floor half of the length. Those critters dug a den that actually caused the dirt floor to collapse under my weight (also was carrying a 100 lb. bag of corn) with me sinking down to my thighs.

That, and they'll grab anything close by to drag down to their den. I've had buckets of apple wood chips, empty feed bags, etc. go missing when they moved in.

The DNR struck down our idea of live trapping them and releasing on state land. They told us if they're a nuisance, just kill them outright.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: June 26, 2021 12:53PM
.....Bill Murray.....no likey......

Posted by: btfc
Date: June 26, 2021 01:36PM
I just put out a live trap for marmots a few days ago. There’s been a den for a couple of years, but there seems to be a population boom going on.
Date: June 26, 2021 01:49PM
.....so there will be eats........tonight.....???

Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 26, 2021 01:49PM
Rick,

How's do they taste? Shouldn't be too bad because they are vegetarians.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: June 26, 2021 01:51PM
....and the word 'hog' is in their name......

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 26, 2021 03:13PM
Spread mothballs under the deck. They will move. That’s how we used to do it.

Or shoot them. But your neighbors may have problems with gunfire. I used a .22 and a shotgun.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 26, 2021 04:07PM
modelamac
Rick,

How's do they taste? Shouldn't be too bad because they are vegetarians.

Never tried to cook one. I think because they remind me of something out of the rat family.

Maybe will try a meal of them if we ever have a zombie apocalypse!! smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 26, 2021 05:22PM
litter box contents and coffee grounds.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 27, 2021 10:14AM
Get rid of it somehow. They can quickly ruin a foundation. Shot 6 last year. It's illegal to trap them in our state and move them somewhere else. Have about 3 more this year.

Grateful11
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 27, 2021 10:43AM
so it's illegal to trap and move, but legal to kill?

I cannot shoot them here, I do not own a firearm, and even if I had one, firearm discharge is highly regulated in this town. Except for the shooting range a few miles down the road I don't think there is any place where you can shoot.

I am not sure what I will do next, I will probably put some cameras to detect motion. maybe this animal left.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 27, 2021 12:05PM
space-time
so it's illegal to trap and move, but legal to kill?

Illegal to poison them, too.

Posted by: Janit
Date: June 27, 2021 12:16PM
Call a wildlife removal service.
Date: June 27, 2021 03:38PM
.....Bill Murray will get rid of them.........

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 27, 2021 07:31PM
Please be kind to the groundhog!
Posted by: dk62
Date: June 28, 2021 08:51AM
Groundhogs can have rabies. So that would be reason enough to try to get rid of them. Trapping works well, but releasing is an issue, as it is generally forbidden to do so other than on wildlife preserves or your own land. State parks are a no-no (I swear I have never done that...). So short of buying a 10X10 foot property adjacent to some woods for that particular purpose, trapping and then drowning them may be an only legal option. Not very palatable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020