advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
condition....red?!....long lines for air conditioners in Seattle.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 27, 2021 05:36PM
.....with places running out.....

Air-Conditioning Was Once Taboo in Seattle. Not Anymore.

An intense heat wave is set to torment the Pacific Northwest. Many who have always done without air-conditioners are scrambling to get them now.

.....For two decades, Becky Lichenstein embraced a custom of the Seattle area: doing without air-conditioning. With a thrifty populace living in such a temperate climate, box fans rigged to blow over ice and nighttime breezes off Puget Sound were enough to keep the peak of summer at bay.

But summers in the Pacific Northwest aren’t what they once were. With more regular bouts of soaring temperatures, Ms. Lichenstein a few years ago surrendered and bought a portable air-conditioning unit. This year, considering a changing climate and how it’s hitting home, she decided to turn to a more powerful solution — a permanent system installed just this week.

“I’m very grateful that I’m getting it done,” said Ms. Lichenstein, as workers finalized the installation at her split-level home in Tacoma, south of Seattle. “But there’s this level of sadness — almost like an era is gone and we are entering a new era.”

The timing couldn’t be better for Ms. Lichenstein, as the Northwest is set to experience a record-breaking heat wave this weekend that has placed more than 13 million people under excessive heat alerts. Portland, Ore., another city where many people live without air-conditioning, could reach 109 degrees, which would be a record. Inland areas such as Spokane could also set new highs.
Seattle, where official weather stations in the past century have recorded only three days that have exceeded 100 degrees, could potentially record three more by early next week.

The National Weather Service is predicting a full week with daytime highs in Seattle reaching at least the high 80s. The city will flirt with the 100-degree mark on Saturday and Sunday, almost surely setting record highs for the month of June, and then potentially setting a new all-time high of 104 degrees on Monday.

As the adage in Seattle goes, summer in the city doesn’t start until July 5, when the winter season’s cruel and persistent gloom would fully give way to long streaks of mid-70s sunshine. The saying harked back to an era when there was little talk of air-conditioning, save for the rare day when the weather might poke up into the 90s — an occurrence uncommon enough that Seattle’s residents could navigate it just fine by shutting blinds during the day and throwing windows open at sundown.

Or, at least, that was the bargain with Mother Nature. In recent years, amid a warming climate, Seattle’s weather patterns have plotted a marked shift pointing to a dire future. Wildfire smoke has choked many summer skies. The average number of days rising to 90 degrees has nearly doubled.

As a result, like many parts of the country where air-conditioning was once considered an afterthought or a luxury, the region’s relationship with air-conditioning has started to change. In 2013, just 31 percent of households in the Seattle metro area had some sort of air-conditioning, according to data in the federal government’s American Housing Survey. Just six years later, that had risen to 44 percent, accounting for hundreds of thousands of new units.

Jamey Stephens, a general manager at Evergreen Home Heating and Energy in Seattle, said the busiest season for the company, which was founded in 1975, used to be when homeowners scrambled for heating units to prepare for winter. In recent years, the company’s summer schedule has become packed with technicians scurrying across the city, retrofitting the region’s old homes with air-conditioning units.

“It has been an explosion of people interested in getting air-conditioning,” Mr. Stephens said.......

were you able to get one......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2021 06:20PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: coldless in Seattle?!....long lines for air conditioners in Seattle.....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 27, 2021 05:54PM
Like Generators in Florida after a hurricane.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Re: condition....red?!....long lines for air conditioners in Seattle.....
Posted by: vicrock
Date: June 27, 2021 06:52PM
In today's Seattle paper - only 44% of homes in Seattle have AC - lowest of any major city. Summer temperatures just don't normally warrant AC - and out here on the Olympic Peninsula way less. All last summer the high at my house was 78. Today 89! But it should all be over tomorrow!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 27, 2021 10:29PM
meanwhile on the East Coast, even grocery stores have pallets of 5k ACs
selling for $100 or less. Wallys had 8k's on sale for $200.
Makes me even happier I went with Hitachi split units.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 27, 2021 11:12PM
My partner's younger brother redid their house and has either a heat pump or A/C and furnace combo. Anyway, he gave us his two portable 8000 and 11000 units.

But of course we are down in Phoenix, aka the Devil's Ay Noos (say it like Sacha Baron Cohen in the Legend of Ricky Bobby.)

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 27, 2021 11:28PM
vicrock
In today's Seattle paper - only 44% of homes in Seattle have AC - lowest of any major city. Summer temperatures just don't normally warrant AC - and out here on the Olympic Peninsula way less. All last summer the high at my house was 78. Today 89! But it should all be over tomorrow!

I would argue that the correct statistic is 44% of domiciles. That includes all the modern recently built apartments, townhouses and condos that have become a blight in the 21st century. 1 building is 50 units. Actually single family homes with A/C is probably in the teens. And those are likely a single in-window unit in a bedroom.

And many are older homes without double pane windows where the interior temp skyrockets 10+ degrees between 5 and 6pm. We just got a complete tear off new roof with very very pale grey shingles last fall. They tried to convince me to get something more aesthetically pleasing. Nope. If it helps cut down on sweat dripping off my dangly bits, I don't care WHAT my roof looks like.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2021 11:31PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 28, 2021 01:16AM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: June 28, 2021 09:25AM
The floor is LAVA ?!?!?!?!

=TC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020