advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
printer keeps clogging
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 28, 2021 12:50PM
I have a brother MFC-J5945DW that I use about once a week. Each time I have to run the cycle to unclog the print heads at least twice before it works correctly. I'm on my second set of Brother ink cartridges and they all (each color) have this problem. Is this typical? Should I consider non-Brother cartridges?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: printer keeps clogging
Posted by: hal
Date: June 28, 2021 12:58PM
It was about 8 years ago that I decided that I had had enough if ink jet printing (although I liked to print color photos). I decided to give up color printing and went with a b&w canon laser and my life is so much easier now. There were only a couple of times that I missed color printing, but I no longer care about it.

No help, sorry... but I do remember some techniques of running a sol'n with alcohol through print heads somehow. I never did it, but you might do some searching. I can't imagine that non-Brother ink would help.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 28, 2021 12:59PM
Maybe it's not ink that's clogging it.

Is the room dusty or layered with pet-hair?

Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 28, 2021 01:20PM
Dave,

How old is the printer and is the print head a consumable item? Some inkjet printers require you to replace the print head after X amount of time or # of prints. Some companies make kits specifically for cleaning the print head more thoroughly than using the "clean print head" tools built into the printer. Never used any of them. Just seen them.

Robert
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 28, 2021 01:24PM
One of the color inkjet printers I had came with the ability to run a “test page” automatically in the middle of the night. It didn’t use much ink and kept the print heads from drying out. Perhaps your printer has this ability?
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: June 28, 2021 02:04PM
davemchine
I have a brother MFC-J5945DW that I use about once a week. Each time I have to run the cycle to unclog the print heads at least twice before it works correctly. I'm on my second set of Brother ink cartridges and they all (each color) have this problem. Is this typical? Should I consider non-Brother cartridges?

A year ago I had the same issue with my EPSON XP-820 (happened more than once in past years with clogged heads on this machine). I finally got fed up with the prices of EPSON cartridges that would not last thru the cleaning cycle and mild usage. I bought some generic XL size ink cartridges, have been having good luck with them.

testcase
One of the color inkjet printers I had came with the ability to run a “test page” automatically in the middle of the night. It didn’t use much ink and kept the print heads from drying out. Perhaps your printer has this ability?

I read a recommendation online somewhere that recommended doing just this “test page” for ink jet printers that don't get used often, like mine. So, manually, I run a nozzle check print “test page” two to three times a month - it exercises all of the nozzles (started this after I got the new generic cartridges mentioned above). Most of the time, the nozzle check print looks good. If I get a couple of open spots, I will run the nozzle print check again the following day and usually looks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2021 02:08PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 28, 2021 03:21PM
....metamucil usually does the job.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 28, 2021 05:04PM
iirc, the MFC-J5945DW is a CISS based system and uses a print head asmy.
that isn't part of the 'tanks'.
The head isn't expensive, just requires a bit of work to replace.
My old school MFC-J825DW keeps chugging along on cheapo generics.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 29, 2021 12:43AM
MrNoBody

My old school MFC-J825DW keeps chugging along on cheapo generics.

this.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 30, 2021 10:32PM
MrNobody, I didn’t understand a word you wrote but you sound smart. I got ahold of Brother and they offered to send a replacement unit at no cost and I don’t have to ship this one back to them. It’s a hassle but hopefully it works.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020