advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
international packages
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 30, 2021 12:25PM
So I ordered something from Great Britain on eBay. Small, less than the size of a fist. It made the trek quickly across the pond. Passed through customs quickly. Saw all this on the eBay tracking. However, June 17th a USPS tracking label was created. USPS has not received the package yet. I have not received the package yet.

Is this normal? Things can sit at warehouses for days and weeks, just sitting there? A label and tracking number have been created for it. Yet it does not move. Unbelievable.

Please fill me in on this phenomenon. I really want to know.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: international packages
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 30, 2021 12:28PM
Spiff,

Yups. Shipments that move via ocean can sit for weeks on the dock in European countries and, once it moves and arrives in the US, sit in customs and at the dock for days and weeks before delivery to your door. It wasn't remotely as bad prior to the pandemic. Now? It's horrendous.

Robert
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 30, 2021 12:38PM
Body parts can be held up by customs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 30, 2021 12:38PM
Who was the original shipper? Royal Mail? Or is this some weird international DHL version of "SurePost"?

I can't recall ever getting an international package relabeled. Usually the foreign tracking number works fine in USPS tracking (once it gets to the US). I have had packages sit for weeks/months without movement, but that was more during the early/mid pandemic.

Had a package sit for so long, the tracking number stopped working. Long after I'd given up on it, it randomly showed up. That was also an eBay package, and the seller was nice enough to refund me even though he wasn't required to (it was outside the dispute window), but I also got in touch with him when it finally did show up and repaid him (actually saved a little since he charged me less, presumably without the eBay seller fees, and I didn't have to pay sales tax to eBay).

So, I'd recommend filing an "item not received case" in the window when you actually can. You can always repay the seller if it does show up and you feel so inclined.
Posted by: raz
Date: June 30, 2021 02:52PM
eBay has their own international shipping. I used it once when I forgot to disable all foreign bidders. I infer from the process that they accumulate a pile of boxes for one region, ship the whole thing, then re-label them for local delivery.

The good news is its about half the cost of USPS international shipping (and I refunded the difference to the buyer). The bad news is it took about a month to get from The States to The Netherlands.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 30, 2021 03:03PM
The package started out with Royal delivery. Says it was delivered in 1-2 days. Then the package got another global tracking number, which followed it across the ocean. That still works. Then it got a third number for the USPS. That works, but the package has not been received by the usps, yet. Thanks for all the replies! Hope to get the package some time. 2-4 months ago I ordered a music CD from Japan. That made it here in less than 2 weeks.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 30, 2021 03:17PM
I ordered something from germany on May 17th and was shipped quickly but then held in customs for a very long time. It was delivered June 28th so about 42 days. The german shipper provided daily updates on the status of the package. Once it hit USPS it was silent running and still doesn't show delivered even though I got the package two days ago.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 30, 2021 04:15PM
raz
eBay has their own international shipping. I used it once when I forgot to disable all foreign bidders.

Ah yes, I've sold via eBay's Int'l shipping, but never received anything from it as the foreign sellers I've bought from just ship direct, but it sounds like that might be what's going on in this case.

If anything goes wrong with eBay's Global Shipping, they will take care of it though. I had a complicated case where the item I sold got mis-labeled and delivered to who knows where, and my buyer received a completely different item, so who knows how many re-labeling errors there were in that mix-up. eBay refunded the buyer and I got to keep my sale proceeds since it was eBay's shipping mistake.
Posted by: mspace
Date: July 01, 2021 08:54AM
Took a full two months to get from China to NYC. And two full months for another package to go from UK to Grenada.

Not typical pre-covid, but now . . . who knows?
Posted by: d4
Date: July 02, 2021 08:05AM
A lot depends on the Delivery Service you are paying for. DHL Express package from Moscow to Germany to New York took 3 days to arrive at my doorstep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020