advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tire size substitutes
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 30, 2021 06:23PM
My Daughter-in-laws car is a 2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and needs tires. OEM was 235/45/18 but the previous owner must have changed rims as the current tires are 225/50/17.

I know I can downsize some but it has been a long time since I did that and can't recall the safe range. I'm just trying to save them some money but not at the expense of safety.

Somebody slap me in the head and remind me of the options.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tire size substitutes
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 30, 2021 06:56PM
How much money are you trying to save, or think you are going to save?

Looks like the equivalent 17" tires would actually be:
215/60R17
235/55R17 (wider than above)

225/50R17 is actually 1.5% smaller than 235/45R18

For a semi-random tire I picked:
225/50R17 - $130 (1.5% smaller)
255/50R17 - NA (0.7% smaller)
215/60R17 - $122 (Equal)
235/55R17 - $139 (Equal)
225/60R17 - $134 (1.5% Larger)
245/55R17 - NA (1.5% Larger)

So, it looks like the best bet would be to get a properly sized tire @ 215/60R17 (assuming the width is ok for the rims).

I guess to summarize, getting a "smaller" tire isn't necessarily cheaper, because it's probably going to depend on what sizes are popular vs uncommon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2021 07:02PM by Gareth.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: June 30, 2021 06:57PM
search for tire size calculator/chart by vehicle

turns up lots of hits, both charts and calculators, from tire mfrs and vendors. Free to use.

Tirerack.com has one on their site. Gotta find it....and here it is:

[tires.tirerack.com]

=TC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2021 06:59PM by TheCaber.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 30, 2021 07:17PM
Going smaller and taller should give you a smoother ride, in theory, but ya gotta be aware of what's shakin' with the brakin'....

Depending on on how aggressively you drive, the smaller rim, in theory, may not provide adequate ventilation/cooling, so you might wanna check out brake specs with different size rim. OTOH, if you (or DIL) drive like a little old lady, it probably won't make any difference. Check out the specs!

Good luck, have fun with your project.
==
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 30, 2021 07:28PM
These are the sizes you want:

GS
P225/50R17

GT
P235/45R18

Spyder GS
P225/50R17

Spyder GT
P235/45R18

Assuming the wheels installed are factory width and backspacing go with the 17" size above.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 30, 2021 07:54PM
225/50R17 is a listed option at Tire Rack. A retailer like Costco might refuse to install lower load rating tires. I would not recommend against that size if the speedometer calibration and ride quality were acceptable.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 30, 2021 09:01PM
Found a good deal on some 225/50/17 Hankooks... Sam's Club, $25/tire cheaper than everywhere else for the exact same tire. So even with $20 mounting they are cheaper than just the tire elsewhere.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 30, 2021 09:57PM
I think he wants to avoid buying new rims to match OEM size.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 01, 2021 12:58AM
Ombligo
Found a good deal on some 225/50/17 Hankooks... Sam's Club, $25/tire cheaper than everywhere else for the exact same tire. So even with $20 mounting they are cheaper than just the tire elsewhere.
$100 saved. Score.
Son just got tires for his car, same thing, not OEM wheels, but OEM tire size for upgraded wheels.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 01, 2021 03:16PM
Tire Size calculator

The second number is the aspect ratio that determines the "size" of the sidewall. The larger this number, the larger the side wall is for a given tire width (the first number). The shorter the sidewall, the better cornering/handling but rougher ride.

While it's nice to save money on tires, doing so at the expense of quality/capability is a false savings. Some tires are worth the money due to their wet or snow traction or reduction in braking distance. My life and those of my loved ones is worth far more than a few hundred dollars for an investment that should last 50,000 miles or so. There are many other things that I'll look for savings first.

Filliam H. Muffman
225/50R17 is a listed option at Tire Rack. A retailer like Costco might refuse to install lower load rating tires. I would not recommend against that size if the speedometer calibration and ride quality were acceptable.

Different tire sizes don't necessarily mean lower load rating. A retailer may refuse to put on a non-OEM size as their staff may have no clue as to how to figure out whether or not a tire is properly sized or rated.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 02, 2021 11:48AM
macphanatic
Filliam H. Muffman

Different tire sizes don't necessarily mean lower load rating. A retailer may refuse to put on a non-OEM size as their staff may have no clue as to how to figure out whether or not a tire is properly sized or rated.

It is fairly easy for a retailer's employees to decode with a little education, but that varies by retailer. Weight ratings can vary within just in a single tire size. Depending on the manufacturer and model/weather-category/performance-class, the load rating ranges from 93 (1,433 lbs) to 98 (1,653 lbs). My somewhat recent experience with Costco is that they have the car manufacturer's OEM specs in the computer. I could not find the exact OEM specs for this car's tires. It can help if people include a photo of door placard showing the load range and weight rating. The online search results for this Owner's Manual is flooded with scammers trying to install malware and/or collect credit card info.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020