advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nikon tries retro digital camera again but with APS-c
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 01, 2021 01:24AM

$960 for that retro feel of metallic knobs and dials. Nikon tried this with the full frame SLR model called the DF but charged $2500 for it. Not too many takers.
[www.dpreview.com]

Nikon has officially launched the Z fc, a 21MP APS-C format mirrorless camera than recalls the styling of its classic FM and FE film SLRs, but uses the company's current Z lens mount.

The Z fc shares many components with the existing Z50 model, including the CMOS sensor and Expeed 6 processor, but adds a fully articulating display, a USB-C socket that allows both charging and direct power, and a traditional user interface based on the use of dedicated dials for key exposure settings. It also gains full-time eye autofocus when shooting video, along with the ability to receive firmware updates from a smartphone.

The Z fc produces 20.7MP images and can shoot at up to 11 fps with full autofocus or 9 fps if Raw capture is set to 14-bit mode. It can shoot oversampled 4K video from the full width of its sensor, including vlog-style capture, thanks to its rotating display and AF abilities.

The rear screen is a 3.0", 1.04M-dot touchscreen, above which the Z fc has a 2.36M-dot OLED viewfinder. This uses the same Nikon designed and coated optics as the Z50's finder, giving a magnification figure of 1.02x (0.68x in full-frame terms).

The camera's real selling-point is its classic dial-driven operation, to encourage an engaged, considered approach to photography, but backed up by the ability to immediately share the results via the always-connected Snapbridge app, and the use of Nikon's growing Z series of lenses.

One such lens option is the Nikkor Z 28mm F2.8 (SE), which is being launched alongside the camera. It's a full-frame lens, which covers the equivalent of 42mm when mounted on the the APS-C format Z fc, and is designed to match the look of the camera and the appearance of Nikon's classic Ai and Ai-s primes.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2021 10:34AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nikon tries retro digitalcamera again but with APS-c
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 01, 2021 05:25AM
I love the retro look!

I'm tired of drill down menus on anything.

Do we know the function of that knob/wheel on the front of the camera, to the left of the lens?

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: July 01, 2021 05:58AM
I don't love scrolling so I'd love to give this a try. However, I've gotten lazy and love my iPhone 12 Pro.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 01, 2021 07:18AM
emoticon_love
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 01, 2021 08:17AM
Swoon... But then I can't use my legacy glass (and come on, how cool would that be?) so I'd look for a used Df, probably, if I wanted that feel.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 01, 2021 08:43AM
Dumb question, but how does one change the aperture on a lens with no aperture ring?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2021 08:43AM by Acer.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 01, 2021 08:58AM
There is an aperture ring
Date: July 01, 2021 09:06AM
space-time
There is an aperture ring

On the retro lens they show, yes, but regular Z lenses and a lot of modern F's don't have a manual ring anymore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2021 09:07AM by Acer.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 01, 2021 09:19AM
It needs an advance lever to get to the frame.

Seriously, that brings back memories of my FM's.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: July 01, 2021 09:44AM
It needs an advance lever to get to the frame.

POMTL!

I actually wrote that but then deleted it because — what would it do on a digicam.

But yeah, put one on to turn On the camera instead of a button.

Or any function.

Just put one on!

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 01, 2021 10:03AM
Every time they do something like this, I find it baffling. I get that it's cool, but I don't in a million years see enough people buying it to make it worthwhile. The whole world is trying to hammer nails in your coffin, and you waste money and resources going after a tiny segment of nostalgists.

I acknowledge that the bigger motive may be more about marketing the brand as a whole and rekindling old loyalties, but this cuts both ways. You are also reinforcing the criticism that you are more concerned with preserving your past glory than you are with moving forward and innovating.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 01, 2021 10:23AM
This has been FujiFilm's popular, highly regarded, bread and butter for the past 10 years. Starting with the Fujifilm X100, S, T, F, V series released in 2011. Followed up by numerous revisions and the more powerful XT1, 2, 3 and XT4 series.

10 years too slow, Nikon.

Date: July 01, 2021 10:33AM
d4
This has been FujiFilm's popular, highly regarded, bread and butter for the past 10 years. Starting with the Fujifilm X100, S, T, F, V series released in 2011. Followed up by numerous revisions and the more powerful XT1, 2, 3 and XT4 series.

10 years too slow, Nikon.

Fuji has made a decent comeback for the retro styling market. I know 2 Nikon shooting pros that bought fuji app-c cameras for hobby shooting.

The Nikon DF was introduced in 2013 but no one wanted to pay $3300 fr a full frame camera when the D800 was sporting nicer specs and a video mode. In 2013 the megapixel war was alive and well. The DF had 16mp and the D800 had a monster 36mp sensor. D800 also had the excellent D4 autofocus system.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 01, 2021 10:33AM
What I was honestly baffled by was the lack of development of the so-called "digital backs" that were supposedly coming 25 years ago for the film cameras. True, they sold more actual cameras, but but it was strange to me that they didn't pursue that path as it could have existed on a parallel market (imo).
Date: July 01, 2021 11:13AM
As someone who uses ISO, F-stop and shutter speed settings regularly, but rarely anything else, I like this product. Probably not enough to buy it because I have a full stable of F-mount lenses. But I do like it and not for the nostalgia but for its usability. I like knobs on my car radio, too.
Re: Nikon tries retro digital camera again but with APS-c
Date: July 01, 2021 11:15AM
I am open to buying a full frame DF in the used market but the $3300 price tag was a joke. I love metallic and accessible knows and dials. The app-c version at $960 has a better chance of selling that the full frame version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2021 11:18AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 01, 2021 11:37AM
Acer
As someone who uses ISO, F-stop and shutter speed settings regularly, but rarely anything else, I like this product. Probably not enough to buy it because I have a full stable of F-mount lenses. But I do like it and not for the nostalgia but for its usability. I like knobs on my car radio, too.

agree smiley
If Pentax came out with something like this, I'd be all over it
(on a related note, when I bought my most recent vehicle about 3.5 years ago, I purposely stuck with the "lower" end model - specifically because the radio and climate controls were still physically there, as buttons and knobs; the salesperson tried to talk me out of it - with the all-touch screen interface of the mid and high-end models as his chief talking point...the salespitch didn't work).
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 01, 2021 11:48AM
mrbigstuff
Swoon... But then I can't use my legacy glass (and come on, how cool would that be?) so I'd look for a used Df, probably, if I wanted that feel.

The Z (S) glass is significantly superior to F-mount glass (it's costy). You can still use f-mount with the F2Z adapter. Not screwdriver lenses though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2021 11:48AM by vision63.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 02, 2021 08:37AM
My friend is a Nikon guy and shoots with the D850. He recently mentioned he was looking to get a Nikon mirrorless as a backup or when he wanted to carry something smaller. This looks like it might be right up his alley.

JoeM
Date: July 02, 2021 10:59AM
Every time they do something like this, I find it baffling. I get that it's cool, but I don't in a million years see enough people buying it to make it worthwhile.

The few examples I've seen of the retro SLR look have been outrageously prices as though the manufacturers want to make their money back from 25 customers.

Of course that will be problematic.

I'm sooo tired of drill down menus and and not knowing where a given feature is located.

I loved the 'Phone for that reason, though over the last few years iOS become so feature rich that it requires some drilling as well.

I use my SX50 from time to time but not enough to master the menus, and it's a learning experience every time.

The nostalgia of this and other retro cameras appeals to me, and in no small part because I'm nostalgic for the basic intuitive nature of individual controls.

My 2002 car radio has knob, which I prefer, even though their anachronistic implementation is actually digital and not analog.

I've been a Canon fan, my SLR being the original Canon F1 mainly because it was a lot cheaper than Nikon kit.

At this point I'm fairly platform agnostic, so this camera body at this price point appeals to me.

It's a little late in life for me to be investing in a lot of camera gear, but that body and a zoom lens might be worth investing in, it terms of my ROE.

Maybe.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2021 11:02AM by RAMd®d.
Date: July 02, 2021 02:22PM
If Nikon made a digital version of the F4 SLR, I would lose my knob and switch loving mind.

Nikon wouldn't be able to take my money fast enough.

Date: July 02, 2021 02:46PM
Hmm, the DF is stil around $1300 on the used market. I don't think I will bite until they drop under $1k.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020