advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Craigslist, Nextdoor & FB Marketplace rant
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 01, 2021 09:24AM
I have a 27" iMac listed on each of the above platforms.
I've been getting emails through all three asking if it's still available. I reply saying when do you want to see it/pick it up and then nothing but crickets. If these idiots have no intention of following through why do they inquire in the first place? Grrrr!!!!
I know you all have no answers for this phenomenum but thanks for listening.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Craigslist, Nextdoor & FB Marketplace rant
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 01, 2021 09:31AM
In my experience, people are just flaky. I think it has less to do with the platform, except if someone is committed to buying something (e.g., eBay). Though of the ones you mentioned, I've found that Craigslist is by far the flakiest, because it allows for more anonymity than the other two.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 01, 2021 09:43AM
I use Facebook marketplace almost exclusively because it generates a lot more interest (the other two are virtually dead). Still I would say almost 99% of Facebook users who respond to my ads are flakes. Even the ones that say that they will buy it on such and such time or date, almost none ever follow through. Fortunately there’s enough traffic that with even such slim statistics, I manage to get sales. It amazes me though, I have never failed to communicate (and follow through if I say I’ll buy something). I just don’t understand how people can operate this way.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 01, 2021 10:02AM
.......yes the biggest issue with selling on those platforms......you also get people who don't show up.....or people who try to bargain something that is already at very low price......

......even giving away free furniture [ not even ugly furniture ], you have people who are picky.....this is literally free furniture but they don't want it because they want something more 'modern'......hello, you are never going to get new, modern furniture for free.......

....'Forget it Jake, its Chinatown'.....just one of those things.....people are flaky......you just have to realize that you have to deal with it.....I would say 96-98% of responses are waste of time......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2021 10:10AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 01, 2021 10:20AM
My experience with a few sellers on Facebook Marketplace has been flaky. Had pre-arranged a meeting. Texted a person to say I was leaving now (twenty-minute walk) to purchase an item. When I arrived, seller was not there.

Another time I offered to purchase some used books. Seller cancelled the first meeting. For the second meeting, the seller agreed to text me when he was at a new location just a ten-minute walk from me. He texted he was there. I re-confirmed back that I was a ten-minute walk away and was leaving now. Seller had left before I arrived.

Todd's sadder-but-wise board
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 01, 2021 10:56AM
Todd's,

The first situation, shame on the seller. The second situation, can't say I blame the seller for leaving. I wouldn't be a fan of showing up at a location and then having to wait another ten minutes for someone to arrive. I'd've set an agreed upon time at the new location and both the seller and I arrive at that time and allow for five to ten minutes in the event of an unexpected delay. That's just me.

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 01, 2021 11:07AM
just had this same experience yesterday with 3 responders.
bastiges!

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 01, 2021 11:24AM
richorlin
I've been getting emails through all three asking if it's still available. I reply saying when do you want to see it/pick it up and then nothing but crickets.

I now start every listing with something like, 'If you are reading this, it's still available, but if you must ask, assume the answer is yes then go ahead and ask your next question.'
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 01, 2021 11:33AM
Robert M
Todd's,

The first situation, shame on the seller. The second situation, can't say I blame the seller for leaving. I wouldn't be a fan of showing up at a location and then having to wait another ten minutes for someone to arrive. I'd've set an agreed upon time at the new location and both the seller and I arrive at that time and allow for five to ten minutes in the event of an unexpected delay. That's just me.

Robert

Understood. We had already pre-arranged that he would notify me when he showed up, and I was a ten-minute walk away. He was unable to pre-set an exact time to meet because he was running a bunch of errands. I don't know why he didn't notify me ten minutes in advance of his expected arrival time.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 01, 2021 11:50AM
I'm dealing with someone on eBay right now; he bought one of my older OWC enclosures with a drive in it. I listed it honestly but failed to list the drive type in it. After he bought it, he asked for full provenance on the installed drive, how it was used, how often it was used. Then he told me about running an all-day stress test on it. Then he told me it makes too much noise for his liking (it's a platter drive in a metal enclosure that has a fan) because he's using it in his bedroom.

I listed it as a like-new enclosure with an older HDD drive in it. I made no claims about the age, make, or use of the drive, just its size (3TB). So essentially selling it as an enclosure with a bonus installed drive. At one point he posted photos of the box which had some *minor* bumping on the edges and hinted that he should get a partial refund because of that. (Anyone who has dealt with me on the For Sale Forum knows how well I package items, fully expecting the enclosing box to get banged up in shipment)

I have been communicating with him to try to be helpful but I've basically just shut him out at this point.

I'm going to rework my listings hereon out again (I used to do all kinds of prefacing and 'no technical support is offered with this item' & 'garage sale rules: I guarantee it works as described but I am not a store and do not take returns if you decide you do not want it')

On the flip side, I had someone buy a few Eaglemoss STAR TREK vessels from me. They were shipped via USPS Priority Mail and very carefully packed (double boxed). Despite this, one (the DS9 station) had one of its docking sails break off and another (the Bajoran Solar Sailer) had one sail come off. The guy was very cordial with me, and after some communication, let me know he'd already fixed them both so no worries, but I gave him a small partial refund regardless (bought him a couple of tacos, as it were) for his trouble.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 01, 2021 12:37PM
Zoidberg
At one point he posted photos of the box which had some *minor* bumping on the edges and hinted that he should get a partial refund because of that. (Anyone who has dealt with me on the For Sale Forum knows how well I package items, fully expecting the enclosing box to get banged up in shipment)

Yea, out of principle, I would refuse a partial refund and force them to do a full return, even if it cost me more in shipping. Which, sadly, if it comes down to it, he could force a return with eBay's liberal "not as described" policies.

I sold a teleconverter a while back on eBay, and I was very specific about which lenses it worked with and it only worked with Sony A-Mount bodies. Of course, the buyer bought it and then complained it didn't work on E-Mount with an adapter. eBay forced the return, and then I pulled all my listings and shut down my store (not like eBay cares, but it made me feel better).

I've been slowly selling on Mercari since. The buyer has three days to inspect and if they don't do anything in that time, you automatically get a 5 star rating and your funds are released and the transaction is closed. Downside is, less potential buyers, so slower sales, and you can't see the rating from the buyer before you have to rate the buyer to release funds. I had a buyer give me 3-stars because "I shipped too slowly" even though it was within the 3-day window Mercari allows for shipping. And no way to get Mercari to adjust feedback.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 01, 2021 12:53PM
does marketplace take a fee when you sell something?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 01, 2021 12:55PM
Not for local sales
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 01, 2021 05:54PM
Whats the deal, with Offerup, and you place an ad for a $10 item, and almost immediately you get a "Is this item still available".... and its coming from someone that just joined this month, with no history. Asking me for my phone #, so we can talk, but when I say where do you want to meet. I hear nothing else from the person. Do they just want to collect phone #'s?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 01, 2021 06:43PM
Microman
Whats the deal, with Offerup, and you place an ad for a $10 item, and almost immediately you get a "Is this item still available".... and its coming from someone that just joined this month, with no history. Asking me for my phone #, so we can talk, but when I say where do you want to meet. I hear nothing else from the person. Do they just want to collect phone #'s?

I don't know, but I just block anyone like that without even responding to them.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 01, 2021 07:18PM
When I sell something on Craigslist, I post good pics, price it fairly, and give good descriptions.

If anyone asks a question answered by the photos, or the text, I ignore them.

When I buy something, I arrange time/place, bring cash, and let them know I have left, and if there is any delay, I text them.

I'm looking for a Epson 3200 or 4870 scanner that will scan 4x5 film, and I will ask if the adapters come with it. I only ask GOOD questions.

During the height of the pandemic I was texting I'm on my way, and enclosed a selfie of me wearing my mask and holding up cash. I made a few laugh, and it always went well.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: July 01, 2021 07:40PM
....Craig......is that you.....???

Posted by: rz
Date: July 01, 2021 07:50PM
NewtonMP2100

......even giving away free furniture [ not even ugly furniture ], you have people who are picky.....this is literally free furniture but they don't want it because they want something more 'modern'......hello, you are never going to get new, modern furniture for free.......

Ugh, don't get me started on people who complain or jerk you around on free stuff. Latest example was an armoire that was my son's. We were moving and he had outgrown it. It had a sliding door that didn't really slide well anymore, but otherwise was in great shape. We hadn't even used the sliding door for years, it was perfectly ok to use without it. Listed it for free and had literally dozens of replies. First few responders either didn't reply back, or setup a time and never showed. Others wanted us to hold it for a few weeks (no, we're getting ready to move). Finally had a woman come to get it. We told her to bring someone to help her load it up. Of course, she showed up alone expecting me to load it for her. I told her she at least needed to help me, as it was impossible for me to move by myself. She let it scrape along the ground as we dragged it to her trailer.
Date: July 01, 2021 08:29PM
.....yes, that is another pet peeve......for something heavy and we even tell them to bring someone.....one time a person showed up with one guy.....this is for a huge bedroom desk with mirror......very heavy......so yes, we ended up having to help......four of us.....

.....another time sold washer & dryer......the person that shows up is an old man (in a truck)......so again, we had to help him load both into his truck.....he said his sons would unload on the other side......it would have been nice if the sons came with him to help load.....

....both times we told them to bring someone and both time had to help load......the buyers were lucky that there were 4 people on our side......<sigh>.....

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 01, 2021 10:53PM
Racer X
I'm looking for a Epson 3200 or 4870 scanner that will scan 4x5 film, and I will ask if the adapters come with it. I only ask GOOD questions.

Do you really need a 4870? or was that just an example?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 02, 2021 10:10PM
No, I need a 4870, with trays.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: July 02, 2021 10:14PM
....that's.....tray....chique......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020