advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for Euro 2020 aficionados…
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 01, 2021 09:34AM
When these international players debate/argue with the referees, what language are they speaking?

In their exchanges they all do seem to be making themselves understood.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for Euro 2020 aficionados…
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 01, 2021 11:28AM
most players and referees speak multiple languages. Many players play in a different country, and usually they pick up that language. English, French, Spanish, Italian are very common.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 01, 2021 12:36PM
Most younger Europeans speak multiple languages.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 01, 2021 12:39PM
besides it's not like you need an extended vocabulary to argue about a game. I guess you can get by with a few hundred words.
Date: July 01, 2021 02:40PM
space-time
besides it's not like you need an extended vocabulary to argue about a game. I guess you can get by with a few hundred words.

I guess an example would be clarifying…

A Croatian player thinks a Portuguese referee should call an off-side; what language does he speak to the ref so the ref will understand?

I can’t imagine it would be Croatian or Portuguese.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 01, 2021 02:43PM
DeusxMac
space-time

I guess an example would be clarifying…

A Croatian player thinks a Portuguese referee should call an off-side; what language does he speak to the ref so the ref will understand?

I can’t imagine it would be Croatian or Portuguese.

It would be one of the more common languages that most people know (e.g. english, french, spanish). Since we're talking about soccer there would be no need to learn any foreign swear words since that would get you red-carded out of the game.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 01, 2021 02:48PM
Found my answer online.

“English has rightfully or not, become the closest thing we have to an international language. Soccer referees for FIFA and UEFA, Europe’s soccer federation, may speak several languages, but English is generally the default.”
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 01, 2021 06:47PM

I watch it for the sportsmanlike conduct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020