advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[rant] how hard is it to get a decent plumber?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 02, 2021 04:00PM
That plumber who started the job 2 months ago is missing in action. He said he will send me the bill for the partial work done, I responded with "And I send you the bill for the day the wife took off from work and you sent the second plumber with the wrong part. Do you agree?" and I never heard form him again. That was June 22. No response, no bill.

My contractor recommended a plumber, I called the guy, he was in vacation and his dog back home was sick and they were on the phone with the vet. OK, I waited for him to finish his vacation. On Monday I sent him pics and description of all the problems. I have 4 separate job in total, I know one should be around $600 or more and I expect all to be in the same ball park, so we are talking about $2-3K job. I asked him if he got the text/pictures, he said he finished working that day, he will review and respond. I didn't get anything Tuesday, I asked again on Wednesday, still no response. This guy is about 1 hour maybe 1h 15 min drive from me so I understand he does not want to come for a small job, but he works often with my contractor and he said he would come. Still for a $2-3k job he could move his ass and drive here.

Today I found another plumber, this one local so he would not waste time driving here. After a short call this morning, he said to text him contact info and he would get back to me. I texted him all same pictures and description of the problem and I am waiting to see when he can come. So far he said he got the pictures, but no idea when he will come. OK, it's the first day, I'll wait till early next week before I give up and look for another plumber.

Is there a black list or something and my name ended up on it, or WTF is going on?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [rant] how hard is it to get a decent plumber?
Date: July 02, 2021 04:01PM
and by decent I mean one who would come, do the job according to code and charge reasonable rates. OK, I know that charge $150/hour and I am OK with that. But get the job done. Don't start, leave me with the non-working shower and go missing in action.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 02, 2021 05:02PM
I’m guessing that trade workers are so in demand right now that if you lean on them too much, you may get pushed back even farther on the list. Back in April, we decided to get a slab poured alongside our driveway for extra parking. We signed with a reputable company (that means you pay even more than usual) and it finally happened yesterday. At the time we signed the rep told me they were ready to starting to book for next summer.

Hope your latest guy will come through for you.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 02, 2021 05:21PM
....do you mean how decent is it to find a hard plumber......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 02, 2021 05:28PM
My plumber came and stopped a big leak in the water heater. Then he came back the next day and installed the new water heater. Then he disposed of the old water heater. TOTAL COST $45. He's my nephew's best friend.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 02, 2021 05:44PM
I can see plumbers having more work than usual. My FIL is a mason and he’s busy with work, he also worked through the pandemic. He’s been doing well enough now that he can decide to take a job or not. He over estimates on jobs he doesn’t want. Some people are willing to pay the extra and he still has to turn them down. He has very happy clients and word of mouth is most of his work.
Date: July 02, 2021 05:59PM
Why go to expensive colleges to learn science when you can do a trade school and make just as much or better and not deal with student loans. Also you can start your own business and never have a boss.
Posted by: John B.
Date: July 02, 2021 06:18PM
Space - sounds like you've been dealing with single-guy/guy-with-helper shops. Maybe you should try contacting one of the regional/national plumbing chains in your area (Roto Rooter, Mr. Rooter, Ben Franklin Plumbing, etc.) and see if you get a better response.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 02, 2021 06:35PM
Best advice I can give you is to keep asking around. Ask your friends if they have "their guy" who does plumbing. Eventually you'll find one who'll, you know, show up.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 02, 2021 06:39PM
We're dealing with skilled tradespeople right now for a variety of issues (just moved to a new home) and we're finding there's about a 2-3 week wait before they can fit us in. But at least they tell us that upfront.

Thankfully, for most issues, we have a handyman/contractor who is very responsive because of all the business we've give him over the last year. Wife noticed a leaking window yesterday and he and his guys were out at 0630 this morning fixing it.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 03, 2021 08:39AM
meanwhile

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 03, 2021 09:33AM
space-time
Why go to expensive colleges to learn science when you can do a trade school and make just as much or better and not deal with student loans. Also you can start your own business and never have a boss.

My HVAC guy does very, very well. He busts his ass in difficult conditions, but he's well-compensated for it.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 03, 2021 10:14AM
I think we're experiencing a labor shortage. My sister has been going through hell trying to get a service to cut her 2 lot lawn. Angie's list promised many times to send someone and she has yet to hear from any of them.

She even asked the guy cutting her neighbor's lawn and he promised he would relay the info to his boss, who came out and gave an estimate, but never sent someone to cut the grass. Not even any kids around to do it either.

I'm having roof issues from a critter gnawing/scratching trying to make a nest up there this past Spring. I couldn't get up there to see because of a gout flareup, but to finally get someone to look at it, it took a friend of a friend to get any action going.

Not only that, but there's a heck of a lot of "help wanted" signs in my neck of the woods. The only factory in the whole county has help wanted signs. That's crazy for this area.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: qdog2
Date: July 03, 2021 10:29AM
Try Home Depot or Lowe's. They have contractors they can refer you to.

Portsmouth, Va
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 03, 2021 11:27AM
My experience on Long Island, NY (when I owned a home) was that it was EXTREMELY difficult to get reliable, competent professionals to #1: show up to see the job and give an estimate and #2 ?) that the NEXT job was more important than finishing their current job. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 03, 2021 11:49AM
....that's.....plumb.....crazy......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 03, 2021 08:16PM
new neighbors next door decided to gut & replace everything in their townhouse.

but they still can't move in because not a single bathroom (out of three) is in working order...can't get countertops on the vanities.

or even new appliances for their kitchen...it also lacks countertops though the new cabinets look nice.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 03, 2021 08:56PM
I don't think any of the problems here are all that unusual working with tradespeople, its just that you're normally able find someone available by the 3rd or fourth call. Being angry and annoyed about it isn't going to help. They're busy and they lack the capacity to talk to you. You usually want the workers that are busy so be patient.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 04, 2021 07:48AM
space-time

Because High Schools have pushed the must go to college mantra. I know licensed electricians and plumbers that make far more than their college educated friends. They don't worry about having a job and don't work 70+ hrs/week unless they want to.

The big issue right now is that every is doing home improvements. There is a shortage of materials and skilled labor.

John B.
Space - sounds like you've been dealing with single-guy/guy-with-helper shops. Maybe you should try contacting one of the regional/national plumbing chains in your area (Roto Rooter, Mr. Rooter, Ben Franklin Plumbing, etc.) and see if you get a better response.

Be wary of the big chains. Most treat their employees like crap and they're compensated based upon upselling. My current HVAC guy worked for a few of them before going out on his own.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 06, 2021 01:28AM
Bill in NC
new neighbors next door decided to gut & replace everything in their townhouse.

but they still can't move in because not a single bathroom (out of three) is in working order...can't get countertops on the vanities.

or even new appliances for their kitchen...it also lacks countertops though the new cabinets look nice.

smiley-laughing001

NEVER, EVER, EVER disable every bathroom at once. Idiots.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2021 01:29AM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020