advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just finished Tomorrow War
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 02, 2021 11:38PM
Better than Bezos's "Without Remorse", but that only moves it up from a D- to a C+.

Good acting, decent special effects, but the plot just pulled everything down--cliche after cliche after cliche-really boring. Chris Pratt, Betty Gilpin, Yvonne Strahovski, and J.K. Simmons are all eminently watchable, but even they can barely carry this dud of a plot.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just finished Tomorrow War
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 02, 2021 11:44PM
Sounds like a pass — thanks for the heads up.

Finally got around to watching Bird Box last night — I REALLY enjoyed it. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the story and was rewarded quite nicely.

It is what it is.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 02, 2021 11:59PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Sounds like a pass — thanks for the heads up.

Couldnt be much worse than many other things we sat thru after actually paying money for it in a theater... =)

At least if you have AP its free.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ADent
Date: July 03, 2021 12:11AM
The first segments were pretty good - though a bit formulaic. Like many TV shows it is fine as you are watching it - but a lot of plot holes if you think about it afterwards.

The last act is fine, just preposterous from a plot point - they needed another 30/45 minutes or maybe a sequel to flesh it out and make it believable. In the end the rush 3rd segment doesn't really hurt anything - it wouldn't be much better - the plot would be the same.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 03, 2021 12:20AM
Without Remorse was just a sad sad movie. So horribly inauthentic military everything. There are NO female SEALs. Period. Maybe someday, but sure not now, and none in the pipeline either.

The fact that Tom Clancy books are being butchered, bastardized, then crapped on is just sad.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2021 12:21AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 03, 2021 12:28AM
Passable, I guess.

Dumb, and not much fun, but not to the point where it's unwatchable.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 03, 2021 01:05AM
The Secretary of Defense was a cardboard cutout. And towards the end, I was just thinking, “Just drop a couple of nukes, already!”
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 03, 2021 06:58AM
.....did you finish it.....today......or the day after....yesterday.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: July 03, 2021 07:27AM
Without Remorse was just a sad sad movie

What network was that on? I agree, movies based on Clancy's books have been bad. Without Remorse is pretty grim reading so I can't imagine how that was rendered as a film. At the risk of revealing a spoiler, was the pressure chamber used in the film?

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 03, 2021 08:58AM
I've been watching White Dragon on Prime. I think the acting is good and the plot keeps me guessing. I like films shot in foreign lands – the nighttime aerial shots of Hong Kong have a Blade Runner vibe to them.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 03, 2021 10:23AM
I had hoped it would be a version of Heldeman's The Forever War.
[en.wikipedia.org]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 03, 2021 02:12PM
.....so.....kiss today.....goodbye......????

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 03, 2021 03:54PM
The fact that Tom Clancy books are being butchered, bastardized, then crapped on is just sad.

This.

As I said before, Without Remorse is a great book and a bad movie (AMZ Prime).

Before Clancy died, his franchise was being diluted terribly and got much worse after his death.

I don't worry too much about absolute authenticity or accuracy.

They're freakin' movies, not documentaries so license will be taken.

In an early episode of Bosch, he's seen with his two spare mags facing 'the wrong way'.

Not a big deal, in a TV show or movie.

I was surprised to see spare mags at all.

Sure, there's never been, nor likely will ever be a female SEAL operator, so what, not to mention an LCDR being a field operator.

I really liked G.I. Jane, but the Navy apparently wouldn't let the movie use the Trident, so they came up with something that looked ridiculous.

But there was nothing redeeming about Without Remorse, the movie.

And the lead was just a lousy actor, or just did a bad job for the movie.

I watch movies to be entertained, and Remorse didn't do the job.

Tomorrow War is on the schedule, and I like Pratt, so it'll get a shot.

I don't expect it to be anywhere near as good as Edge of Tomorrow, which was terrific.

But it's 'free' and my expectations kept low.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 03, 2021 04:01PM
Mediocre, but I liked The Forever War better than Tenet. Tenet was a hot mess from beginning.to end.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: July 03, 2021 07:44PM
I liked it. Felt like a fun summer "blow up some aliens" blockbuster. And the good guys win!
Date: July 03, 2021 08:00PM
....so the sun.....will.....come out.....Tomorrow......???

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 03, 2021 08:27PM
Critics are transporting from the future just to bomb it.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 03, 2021 08:54PM
But there was nothing redeeming about Without Remorse, the movie

One issue is that Remorse goes back in time to tell the story of John Kelly. If you haven't read the previous novels, it means nothing to Clancy's Jack Ryan series.

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 03, 2021 09:16PM
Steve G.
Critics are transporting from the future just to bomb it.

No.

They're fleeing from "America the Motion Picture."

Posted by: JoeM
Date: July 04, 2021 07:15AM
I like some of the reviews: “Starship Troopers for dummies,” “ Aliens have the munchies while humans are busy with divorce.”

JoeM
Date: July 04, 2021 04:52PM
.....Tomorrow..........Never Dies........

Posted by: rgG
Date: July 05, 2021 11:43AM
We watched last night. Not great, but I have sat through much, much worse, lol.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: July 05, 2021 05:52PM
The top critical review on Amazon absolutely and comedically eviscerates this movie. Everything was so contrived and cliche; it would actually have been more interesting if the aliens won.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 06, 2021 12:39AM
Ouch...

Chris Pratt took all the clout and popularity he amassed from starring in the “Jurassic World” and “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchises and used them to make ... “The Tomorrow War,” a blandly derivative and overlong sci-fi thriller.

Originally scheduled pre-pandemic to premiere in theaters, it’s now arriving on streaming through Amazon Prime Video, but it’s hard to imagine that watching this on the big screen would have improved the experience significantly. With his first live-action feature, “The LEGO Batman Movie” director Chris McKay stitches together several overly familiar elements in unremarkable fashion: a bit of time travel, a horde of relentless alien invaders, a rag-tag band coming together to stop them, some unresolved father-son issues and a few misfit sidekicks to provide comic relief. The supposedly original script from writer Zach Dean offers very little that’s innovative or inspired.

Amid all this hackneyed madness is Pratt, straining to tap into dramatic chops he simply doesn’t have.

[www.rogerebert.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020