Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple M2 chips for Q1 2022?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 06, 2021 02:09PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

The M2 chip, sequel to the inaugural Apple Silicon processor, will debut in the first half of 2022, says a leaker who previously nailed details about the company’s proprietary chips.

The tipster, known as Dylandkt, has an 81.3% accuracy rating according to Apple Track based on 16 previous rumors. Dylandkt said the M2 chip will be released alongside “the upcoming colorful MacBook Air.”

Apple debuted the M1, its ARM-based system on a chip, at 2020’s Worldwide Developers Conference, before launching the initial M1 Macs at the end of the year. Apple currently uses the M1 to power the 2020 MacBook Air, 2020 Mac mini, 2020 MacBook Pro, 2021 iMac and 2021 iPad Pro. The M2 chip was rumored to debut as soon as this month. But according to Dylandkt, it won’t surface until next year.

Dylan
@dylandkt
Just wanted to share some details on when to expect the next generation M2 (not the M1X which is reserved for the Pro Mac devices). This processor is on track to release in the first half of 2022 alongside the upcoming colorful Macbook (Air).
11:43 AM · Jul 5, 2021

Dylandkt doesn’t share any technical details of the next-gen chip. A previous report, from late last year, said Apple is working on “several successors” to the M1 chip. These could “significantly outpace” the performance of the top computers currently running Intel chips. The most powerful of these is said to be a chip design “with as many as 32 high-performance” cores.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple M2 chips for Q1 2022?
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 06, 2021 02:15PM
Show me the chip or just shut up already.

My dog could make this "prediction"

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 06, 2021 02:22PM
Dear Apple. Please share details about the M2 chip to Adobe so they can update the Creative Cloud apps in a timely manner for compatibility. Thank you.

Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 06, 2021 02:57PM
And here is hoping that the M2 isn’t an sx version of the m1, a la 486 and 486sx or 386 and 386sx.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 06, 2021 03:21PM
I'm just hoping for a larger screen laptop with either.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 06, 2021 03:29PM
This isn't even a new rumor.

A future 'new, colorful MBA' has been 'leaked' for weeks. Take the design-language of the latest iMacs plus the recent M1 MBA, then go from M1 to M2. Genius.

As others say, all I really want is one that natively runs two external monitors. Due to some imminent travel for the first time post-pandemic, my work has ordered an M1 MBA. But I expect it to only be a 'loaner' for me until the true 14" M-series true Macbook Pro model is released.
Date: July 06, 2021 03:55PM
sekker
As others say, all I really want is one that natively runs two external monitors.

Yeah. Im getting serious FOMO. But I *need* 3 screens. ;)

My 27" 2014 iMac is working... but I *think* Im missing out in M1 speed... especially now that Adobe is M1 native.

I have half a mind to get a 16/256 mini when they popup on sale again, Pluggable DVI splitter and a 32" 4K main screen (+ my already owned 27" 4K + 27" 2K screens). All in, might be a tad over $1K. I *know* any new 27/30/32" iMac is gonna be $3K.... and when is it coming? who knows...

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 06, 2021 04:40PM
pqrst
And here is hoping that the M2 isn’t an sx version of the m1, a la 486 and 486sx or 386 and 386sx.

This may be the case. I read on another site yesterday that the M1X will be used in high-end Macs, while the M2 will be used in low-end Macs, a la the M1.

Of course, that's just a rumor, too.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2021 04:40PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: July 06, 2021 05:16PM
jdc
sekker
As others say, all I really want is one that natively runs two external monitors.

Yeah. Im getting serious FOMO. But I *need* 3 screens. ;)

My 27" 2014 iMac is working... but I *think* Im missing out in M1 speed... especially now that Adobe is M1 native.

I have half a mind to get a 16/256 mini when they popup on sale again, Pluggable DVI splitter and a 32" 4K main screen (+ my already owned 27" 4K + 27" 2K screens). All in, might be a tad over $1K. I *know* any new 27/30/32" iMac is gonna be $3K.... and when is it coming? who knows...

You CAN make two external monitors work on an M1 MBA using DisplayLink Tech. I will be using that for my M1 MBA. An M1 Mac Mini runs two external monitors natively.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2021 05:17PM by sekker.
Date: July 06, 2021 05:29PM
sekker
You CAN make two external monitors work on an M1 MBA using DisplayLink Tech. I will be using that for my M1 MBA. An M1 Mac Mini runs two external monitors natively.

I need 3 screens =)

On sale... [www.amazon.com]

Date: July 06, 2021 06:03PM
jdc
sekker

I need 3 screens =)

Yes indeed. Some others are a little cheaper and work. I have posted some before. Not as good as native support, but work fine especially if you are using a static setup.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 06, 2021 06:38PM
jdc
sekker

I need 3 screens =)

I believe you can do three screens on an M1 Mini, again using DPT. Verify for yourself before proceeding, though:

[www.google.com]

It is what it is.
Date: July 06, 2021 06:56PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I believe you can do three screens on an M1 Mini, again using DPT. Verify for yourself before proceeding, though:

thanks... yeah, I've done all the research.

Since I live my life in Indesign/PS/illustrator, Id like to see some tests on an M1... but cant find any real world stuff.

Saw the initial tests... but the "base" test model was a 13" i5 Intel MBP w/16 GB ram vs M1 same specs. The intel MBP is *not* especially speedy.

So if I had say, a 2020 iMac, with an i7, 64 GB ram, 4 GB GPU... it would crush the 13" intel MBP = same speed as an M1? (all the M1s are the same speed)

Maybe I should have got that 2020 iMac from Costco... =)

[www.pfeifferreport.com]

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 06, 2021 08:48PM
I'm hoping the M2 will be the 603 to the M1X's 604!

The 603 was really a better, faster version of the 601.

The G3 was a better, faster version of the 603

I expect the M series to split into the Consumer and Pro lines as well!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 07, 2021 02:01PM
FWIW, I've seen speculation that the "M1X" will have more cores, esp GPU cores, but base speed improvements will be minimal. "M2" will have similar number of cores to M1, with a based speed increase.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 07, 2021 03:12PM
I think it's interesting how while the clock speed of the M1 is known (3.2GHz), no one really pays attention to it. Maybe because there is only one speed at this point.

Date: July 07, 2021 04:57PM
AllGold
I think it's interesting how while the clock speed of the M1 is known (3.2GHz), no one really pays attention to it. Maybe because there is only one speed at this point.

Yep. 'Fast'.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020