advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Scanning resolution for archiving papers (bills, etc.)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 13, 2005 12:32PM
Though I'd like one of those cool ScanSnap ( [www.fcpa.fujitsu.com] ) scanners, it's too pricey (and doesn't have a cheaper option to buy it w/o Acrobat, of which I already have the Pro version).

I have a pretty darn good scanner in my Brother MFC-5840CN ( [www.brother-usa.com] ) which I use pretty regularly to scan things for clients, drawings by my kids to e-mail to grandma, etc.

If I'm going to be "archive scanning" -- that is, like scanning bills, insurance papers, etc. -- what's a recommended resolution if I want to be able to print it with good legibility at a later date?

Thanks.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Scanning resolution for archiving papers (bills, etc.)
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 13, 2005 12:45PM
If you want to be able to print with good legibility, I'd stick with the target of 300ppi - proportionately larger if there are things you'll want to print at a size larger than the original. There are a couple of good sites about scanning, but they assume people who are scanning text are also interested in OCR capabilities. Scanning for OCR changes the rules a little, but that doesn't apply here. If the papers are primarily black and white, a grayscale scan will reduce the file size, and it would probably be faster.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: December 13, 2005 01:33PM
If legibility is the goal, do a test scan and see if you can read it. Go with the lowest dpi that satisfies this criterion.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 13, 2005 03:18PM
300 if it's not print-critical.

600 for capturing the curves of letters with less jaggies.

Posted by: Silencio
Date: December 13, 2005 05:02PM
Anyone out there do really high-res (1200DPI) bitmap scans instead of 300-600DPI greyscale scans for their forms and documents? Bitmap takes up a lot less room than greyscale, though you miss out on the antialiased effect for pleasant on-screen viewing.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 14, 2005 02:05AM
300, 600 dpi? Yikes!

We're just talking about text documents here right? Not your family photos... Of course it will depend on the size of the text you are scanning, but 150 dpi should be plenty.

I guess what makes the most sense would be to do a few test scans at 72, 150, 300 dpi, see if you can read everything on screen and also do test prints to see how well it comes out again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020