advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
that was then this is now - loose screws
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 07, 2021 08:57AM

kind of the same situation as below, except because this is a plastic clad casement, the screws are thru the plastic into the wood.
One screw is a little in the dark above, just below the pivot.
Both screws above are loose, I'm hoping from the stress of opening and closing the window in summer.

[forums.macresource.com]

Last time threaded inserts, toothpicks and other ideas were suggested for a (cheap) hollow core door.

I'm kind of thinking the threaded insert may be best for this job. These are long out of warrentee.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: that was then this is now - loose screws
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 07, 2021 09:37AM
Glue and toothpicks work awesomely. Even a threaded insert will wear loose over time.

And.. a little information courtesy of the SDI program (*)

If you want good thread holding in wood, tighten the screw down as much as you can. Then back it off a quarter turn. That allows the wood fibers the chance to expand back.

(*) Yes, really. We tested rail shipment of a classified space based cargo, and that was one of the things we discovered. As well as how NASTY rail travel is in terms of shock and vibration environments. Trucks are much, much gentler.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 07, 2021 09:48AM
.....1st step is admitting the problem.....then you can get help.....we all have had a moment when we have a 'screw loose' so you are human....as long as one doesn't have it everyday......all the time......

....#mentalHealth......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 07, 2021 10:19AM
I second the toothpicks and glue.
Wood glue is super tough stuff. The wood will usually break before the glue.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: August West
Date: July 07, 2021 10:45AM

(*) Yes, really. We tested rail shipment of a classified space based cargo, and that was one of the things we discovered. As well as how NASTY rail travel is in terms of shock and vibration environments. Trucks are much, much gentler.

Two words, belty.

Bar Car. smileys with beer

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 07, 2021 10:59AM
Sometimes when it is BAD, I drill it out and put a dowl rod in the hole, the same size as the hole.

Now drill a small pilot hole for the screw. Insert screw. Done.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 07, 2021 11:03AM
I was thinking maybe dowel, but that is gonna be a pain for this.
Toothpicks and glue will be easier for this project.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 07, 2021 08:26PM
......most people have a few screws.....loose.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 08, 2021 10:12AM
The drill bit and dowel rod can be the same size as the hole in the metal bracket.

Smaller drill bit just to start screw. Screw spreads dowel so glue may not be needed.

Staunton, Virginia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020