advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home theater questions
Posted by: rz
Date: July 07, 2021 06:15PM
Wife is itching to get a much bigger TV than we currently have (50"). Current TV has speakers, which is fine for stuff like news or most sitcoms, etc. For movies, our satellite and blu-ray player are hooked up to a Pioneer receiver in a 5.1 setup, with a center speaker, two front and two rear speakers and a subwoofer. The sound is great, but it's a little cumbersome.

I see a lot of soundbars out there that come with wireless subwoofers, and the option of wireless rear speakers. I'll say upfront, I am NOT a fan of bluetooth. I have what it supposedly a fairly decent bluetooth speaker system that would still skip and stutter even when placed within 10 feet of an audio source (either my Mac Pro, or my iPhone). I have bluetooth headphones which are very underwhelming. The last thing I want is to pay a lot of money for a home theater system with wireless speakers only to have them stutter, or be out of sync with something I'm watching.

The previous owners of the house we just bought had a Samsung unit... looked like a large hub. They had all their wired speakers hooked to it. I've looked for something like it, but haven't had any luck. Everything I'm seeing is wireless. I'd like to have a simple unit that I can plug my satellite dish, bluray player, and Fire Stick into which will let me hookup to actual wired speakers. I don't care if it's used. ANy ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home theater questions
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 07, 2021 07:02PM
If you are OK with wired speakers, why wouldn't you just run the speaker wires directly to your receiver? And your device cables, for that matter?

It is what it is.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: July 07, 2021 07:51PM
What’s cumbersome about your current system?
Posted by: rz
Date: July 07, 2021 08:10PM
kurtzie

I think mainly the size of the receiver and the fact that it's kinda old. It is from the time before HDMI cables existed, so I can't run everything through it. Would be nice to run one cable from BR player or satellite to a box. But I have to run audio and video separately for everything.

I'm seeing older Bose systems that seem to offer what I'm looking for (Lifestyle series). And yeah, I know all the stuff people say about Bose (no highs, no lows, must be Bose). I've got no issues with Bose, and have a couple of Bose bookshelf speakers in my office that I like. I wouldn't be able to keep the JBL speakers/subwoofer that I currently have. And paying ~$500 for a used, ten year old system probably isn't exactly the most economical route. I may keep my eyes open for a better deal.
Date: July 07, 2021 08:17PM
Honestly, what you’re describing is essentially an A/V receiver without a radio tuner. There are modern low-profile receivers available that offer the connectivity you need — I’d be looking at that sort of solution.

If you haven’t already, take a gander at Crutchfield’s web site and see if anything there strikes your fancy.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 07, 2021 10:04PM
....will take the old 50" off your hands.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 07, 2021 10:30PM
rz
kurtzie

I think mainly the size of the receiver and the fact that it's kinda old. It is from the time before HDMI cables existed, so I can't run everything through it. Would be nice to run one cable from BR player or satellite to a box. But I have to run audio and video separately for everything.

Do you like your current speakers? Why not just get a modern AV Receiver? Marantz has "slim line" receivers: [www.crutchfield.com] (though this one seems to be from 2019 and sold out, so may need to look for it used, or go with an older model for more savings).
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 07, 2021 10:54PM
This is a well-regarded place. Denon seems to be a favorite from what I've read.

[www.accessories4less.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 08, 2021 08:52AM
Get this:

[www.bestbuy.com]

Here’s why:

[www.nytimes.com]

The Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction is a game changer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2021 08:53AM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 09, 2021 09:42AM
rz,

Sounds like it's a cumbersome configuration due to old hardware and how you've configured it. Seems to me, the easiest solution would be to replace the receiver with a modern model. Wire the speakers to the receiver. Connect source devices to the receiver via HDMI. Once you do that, let the receiver handle both the source switching and the audio.

That's what I did when I replaced an aging Onkyo receiver with a modern Denon model. The speakers were dandy. Just swapped the box and moved the speaker connections to the new box. Connected the TV and other devices to it via HDMI. Used the HDMI return channel of the TV to even send audio from the TV's smart system to the receiver over an HDMI connection.

One of the benefits is that the Denon supports airplay. That allows me to send audio-video directly to it from my Apple devices. Rarely do it since I have streaming features build into the Denon as well as from other devices directly connected to it.

You should be able to get a receiver for between $300 and $400 that'll do the job nicely. I got mine from Accessories4less. Been rock solid since the day I bought it.

Robert
Date: July 09, 2021 03:06PM
Robert M
You should be able to get a receiver for between $300 and $400 that'll do the job nicely. I got mine from Accessories4less. Been rock solid since the day I bought it.

Was the unit you purchased new or refurbished, Robert? I've always heard good things about the refurbished items Accessories4less sells.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 09, 2021 04:08PM
N-OS,

It was a Denon factory refurbished AVR-S900W.

Robert
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 10, 2021 09:42AM
Robert M
Seems to me, the easiest solution would be to replace the receiver with a modern model. Wire the speakers to the receiver. Connect source devices to the receiver via HDMI. Once you do that, let the receiver handle both the source switching and the audio.

Yep. Thats what I've done. And it worked perfectly until just recently. When I discovered I was being plagued by EDID issues. One of the things that makes HDMI suck. And suck hard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020