advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
“Mow the lawn”
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 08, 2021 01:43PM
I would have done that the other day but the machine lost a unique $1.20 spring clip that keeps belt tension on the mower deck. With my work schedule and shipping times, this is now a 2 weekend, not 1 weekend delay.

We have push mowers also. Self propelled, even. I think one of ‘em will actually start.

Me, to kids: Mow the lawn, just the high areas so it doesn’t get out of control this week

Ungrateful #1: nope, no way
Ungrateful #2: we’re not all “Hank Hill,” dad
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “Mow the lawn”
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 08, 2021 02:42PM
Hmm. Things have changed since I was a kid. :-)

We wern't asked to do chores. We were TOLD to do chores. And if you didn't do what you were told, there were consequences, SEVERE consequences! smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Z
Date: July 08, 2021 02:51PM
Little Z is still in the 'lemme play with the electric mower' phase!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 08, 2021 04:02PM
smiley-score010

Rick-o
Hmm. Things have changed since I was a kid. :-)

We wern't asked to do chores. We were TOLD to do chores. And if you didn't do what you were told, there were consequences, SEVERE consequences! smiley-shocked003

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: jh
Date: July 08, 2021 04:18PM
When my father told me he expected the lawn (after I told him one time I did not want to do it) to be mowed by me when he returned from where he had to go I knew the *#@ would hit the fan if I didn't do it. The lawn was mowed by me.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 08, 2021 04:37PM
deckeda
Ungrateful #1: nope, no way
Ungrateful #2: we’re not all “Hank Hill,” dad

Those are not words that I would have dared to utter to my dad or that my kids would ever have dared to utter to me. There would have been consequences. Don't get me wrong, I don't think ruling by fear is good parenting. However, teaching kids to be respectful and deferential to their elders is simply fundamental.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2021 04:38PM by davester.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 08, 2021 05:55PM
So how are your kids doing without phones, tv, computers, games, food, and anything else you have to pay for?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 08, 2021 06:38PM
Ombligo
So how are your kids doing without phones, tv, computers, games, food, and anything else you have to pay for?

thumbsup smiley

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 08, 2021 08:50PM
My family is run on the Heinlein Principal. Its a Anarcho-Dictatorship,

My kids could do what ever they wanted, unless I told them no and they had already done whatever they had been told to do.

It put the onus on me and my wife to predict and anticipate their actions. Luckily for us, they were better kids than we were in our teen years!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 08, 2021 10:08PM
Yeah, I can't imagine the "internet outage" that will occur because of the "unexpected" router reset that had to occur. And then the "oops," after I see lawn being mowed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020