advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
plumbing to fridge water supply
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 08, 2021 03:20PM
broke off a clip inside the water filter housing of the fridge.
it was then that we found out the supply shut off was conveniently located behind the washer in a cubby hole in the wall.
And it was a multi turn gate type valve instead of a 1/4 turn ball.
Lovely.
So I had to shut off the whole house.
I'll replace that valve with a 1/2" copper shark to 1/2" screw on couple (I hope).
There is a 1/2" plastic hose that goes from the hidden valve (that I hope to remove) to behind the fridge and is coupled to a 1/4" ferrule.

Does a 1/2" shark to screw on couple exist and is it called something else?
Does a 1/2" screw on to 1/4" ferrule 1/4 turn ball exist and is it called something else?
Or I suppose I could replace the screw on 1/2" hose with pex and shark bite that as well?

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: plumbing to fridge water supply
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 08, 2021 04:55PM
"And it was a multi turn gate type valve instead of a 1/4 turn ball. "

Remove saddle. Place some pliable rubber over the hole (three wraps of electrical tape) and then use an automotive hose clamp.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 08, 2021 06:35PM
Bernie
"And it was a multi turn gate type valve instead of a 1/4 turn ball. "

Remove saddle. Place some pliable rubber over the hole (three wraps of electrical tape) and then use an automotive hose clamp.

what makes you think he has a saddle valve?
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 08, 2021 08:31PM
How do you get 1/2" to1/4" ferrule? Not really sure what you're asking, though...

You can get a 1/2" ball valve that can be reduced to 1/4" with brass fittings.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 08, 2021 10:08PM
Saddle valves are terrible (they leak, they clog, they restrict water flow) but it doesn't sound like he has a saddle valve. I'm not sure that I'd go with shark fittings inside the house...reliance on rubber "o" rings to prevent leaks is not my thing, though I realize many (non-plumbers) think they're fine. I definitely would ditch that plastic line (potential home wrecking disaster) and buy a flexible copper line (you can buy copper refrigerator kits at the hardware store). Just throw away any saddle valves that come with the kit.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 09, 2021 07:00AM
pretty sure it's a gate valve. It's an interior wall, so not too thrilled about soldering inside though I'd definitely prefer that over shark myself.

I may take out a section of the wall behind it (in 2 closets) so I can have less flammables exposed, as I only have one piece of asbestos shingle, maybe 12"x6" for "uh oh" control.

But I would like to put the shut off in a base cab next to the fridge so it is easier get at if ever needed again.
That would require a pre-built soldered assembly that (hopefully) I could snake thru the wall to connect and replace the valve.

The plastic line disappears into the fridge and I don't see easy access for it. It's thick walled and in good shape. Think that's a better bet as long as I have the shut off.

Now hoping to sweat a pre-built and attach the plastic hose with a ferrule to the 1/4" plastic, if that exists.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: July 09, 2021 07:28AM
found this on shark bite
[youtu.be]
kind of useful and informative.
Though I too would rather sweat these interior wall connections.... if I can safely.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 10, 2021 02:53PM
Fritz
found this on shark bite
[youtu.be]
kind of useful and informative.
Though I too would rather sweat these interior wall connections.... if I can safely.

I've used a thick ceramic tile behind copper pipe that I am torching to protect the wall or whatever else from burning. Always have a water bottle ready just is case.
Date: July 10, 2021 03:03PM
just realized that there is now (and perhaps when I was first DIY plumbing 40 years ago) a heat protect pad.

[amzn.com]

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020