advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wished I would have stashed one of these away long ago (old VWs)
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 08, 2021 10:01PM
Saw this mid 60's VW Transporter Truck at Home Depot yesterday. Had a trailer hitch and cut outs for the tailpipes in the rear bumper - probably had a big motor.

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wished I would have stashed one of these away long ago (old VWs)
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 08, 2021 10:11PM
Last week at a stop light I saw an old Pinto station wagon (with fake wood siding) with the original CA plates like that VW, it was driven by an old grey haired couple, I'm guessing they bought it new and just kept driving it. It was in pretty good shape, but very faded from years of sun.

Not sure which is safer in an accident, the VW or the Pinto.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 08, 2021 11:23PM
Sweet little pickup. Engine might not have been very big, judging from the little peashooter exhaust pipes.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 08, 2021 11:34PM
These are the three Karmann Ghias I owned from late 60s thru mid 70s even down to color scheme, wonder what they'd bring today.

The original:

My marriage carriage:

Departed with when kids came along:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2021 11:38PM by RgrF.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 09, 2021 05:22AM
lost in space
Sweet little pickup. Engine might not have been very big, judging from the little peashooter exhaust pipes.
Yep, standard size pipes.

RgrF
These are the three Karmann Ghias I owned from late 60s thru mid 70s even down to color scheme, wonder what they'd bring today.
Yeah, I had a 70 Silver Type 14 1600 Coupe (big taillights!). Loved that car.
But dayum did that black interior get hot in the summer hot smiley

like this one...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2021 05:26AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 09, 2021 05:51AM
I always liked The Thing

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 09, 2021 08:10AM
GGD

Depends on which end gets hit:
- Frontal = Pinto safer
- Rear = VW van safer
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 09, 2021 10:53AM
Ah yes... living where rust isn't a thing. Sigh. Here's what all my old cars look like:
+
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 09, 2021 01:34PM
cbelt3
Ah yes... living where rust isn't a thing. Sigh. Here's what all my old cars look like:
+

...and that was before they put out the road salt.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 10, 2021 08:38PM
steve...
Saw this mid 60's VW Transporter Truck at Home Depot yesterday. Had a trailer hitch and cut outs for the tailpipes in the rear bumper - probably had a big motor.

For years someone who worked at the K-Mart near me had a VW Pickup like that except the version with the larger cab and a rear seat, painted army green.

When I lived in Savannah, I was apparently the only person in town who could (or at least would bother to) competently balance the centerless VW rims like those, so I got to work on a lot of old VW pickups and vans, both of the restored/collectible and the "Dead-Head" variety. There's nothing quite like coming home from a hard day at work reeking of patchouli, weed, and incense.

GGD
Last week at a stop light I saw an old Pinto station wagon (with fake wood siding) with the original CA plates like that VW, it was driven by an old grey haired couple, I'm guessing they bought it new and just kept driving it. It was in pretty good shape, but very faded from years of sun.

DeusxMac
Depends on which end gets hit:
- Frontal = Pinto safer
- Rear = VW van safer

Since it was a Pinto wagon, the Pinto by a substantial margin at either end. On Pinto coupes and hatchbacks pre-1974, the gas tank is clearly visible below and just ahead of the rear valance panel beneath the rather minimalist bumper, and it did meet the rear impact standards in place at the time of it's production. Pinto wagons used the same gas tanks as the coupes and hatchbacks but had an additional 9.7 inches and 274 lbs of impact-absorbing structure extending rearward beyond the gas tank.

Source- [oldcarbrochures.org]

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020