advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple in Early Talks With NFL on Sunday Ticket Games
Posted by: DP
Date: July 09, 2021 04:23PM
This site needs you to join to read the whole article but this first paragraph sums it up pretty well...

Apple has expressed interest in the streaming rights for a package of National Football League games the NFL is now auctioning, said people familiar with the situation, a possible sign the tech giant is looking to beef up the audience for its Apple TV+ streaming service.

To me, tho, games are on the networks so why bother? But, would this mean that I'd need to subscribe to Apple TV to get games if, e.g., CBS lost the bid to Apple?

I can see some folks who have dropped cable and can't get networks OTA in a rural area but how large an audience is that?

Plus, they would have to connected to the internet too. Is there a large part of the populace that exclusively stream? Anyone here?

[www.theinformation.com]

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple in Early Talks With NFL on Sunday Ticket Games
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: July 09, 2021 04:47PM
If this is for the NFL Sunday Ticket, this the package of out of Market Games.
It currently is a DirecTV exclusive.
So if Green Bay Packer fan lives in Minnesota, this how they watch the Packer games that aren't on in Minnesota.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 09, 2021 05:01PM
I've gotten Sunday Ticket free for a few years from DirecTV. It's great... when I'm home to watch games. I'm a fan of NFL football, just not diehard enough that I watch all day every Sunday. If I did, I'd probably pony up for it. But as it is, even when it's been free, I might watch a handful of games every other week. I'd probably pay $50 for the season, but it's a lot more than that.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 09, 2021 09:22PM
I mainly watch live sports over the air....no cable/satelite for me.

I don't watch enough TV to pony up for Internet TV either.

But I would pay for NFL Sunday Ticket. How much? Maybe $50/month.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 09, 2021 11:17PM
Apple landing the NFL Sunday Ticket would be an EXTREMELY smart business decision.

If you want to see the halo effect that the NFL has, just look at the situation NBC found themselves in when they lost the NFC broadcasting rights to FOX. Their other shows could not ride the coattails of advertising and post game follow up. They lost rating for all their shows. NBC then tried to create the debacle that was the XFL version 1 and failed and wasted millions of dollars. The NFL ended up creating Sunday Night Football as a means for NBC to pay billions to be back in the NFL broadcasting game.

The NFL is by far the most watched sports league in the USA. A crappy Thursday night game typically has higher ratings than the World Series.

Many fans love the Sunday Ticket due to the ability to watch ALL teams. For instance, if you live in New York or D.C. and want to watch the Cowboys, you might not get to see it on broadcast TV unless the local team is playing the Cowboys.

Many watchers that are betting or playing Fantasy Football also want to see how their various teams and players are performing. ALL of Apple TV will benefit from the halo effect of the NFL.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2021 11:20PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 09, 2021 11:55PM
I cannot fathom how DIRECTV has held onto this exclusivity for so long. I truly believe it's the only thing keeping them alive and that they will suffer a quick death if they ever lose it.

I don't know a thing about the contract details, but you'd think it would only be a matter of time until the NFL can find a deep-pocketed suitor who can generate bazillions by delivering this product to much wider audiences than those willing to stay in the DIRECTV ecosystem. Hasn't happened in the last 20+ years, but we all know how dramatically streaming and choice have changed in the last few years alone. Would love to see Apple pull this off.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 10, 2021 12:07AM
datbeme
I cannot fathom how DIRECTV has held onto this exclusivity for so long. I truly believe it's the only thing keeping them alive and that they will suffer a quick death if they ever lose it.

I don't know a thing about the contract details, but you'd think it would only be a matter of time until the NFL can find a deep-pocketed suitor who can generate bazillions by delivering this product to much wider audiences than those willing to stay in the DIRECTV ecosystem. Hasn't happened in the last 20+ years, but we all know how dramatically streaming and choice have changed in the last few years alone. Would love to see Apple pull this off.

I know some people that loved Directv when it was a stand alone company. Customer services went down under AT&T and prices shot up. They lost 3 households of people I know. The lessened interest in the NFL was the nail in the coffin for AT&T's tenure. DirecTV would lose massively if the Sunday Ticket is ripped from them. Apple has the cash to make this happen and they should.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020