advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Random $#&£ you've found out about on YouTube
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 12, 2021 11:46AM
I just found out that I can use bear grease to waterproof my boots. Got to find the bear grease first.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Random $#&£ you've found out about on YouTube
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 12, 2021 12:54PM
Sorry to spoil your potential adventure, but "Bear Grease" is a name brand product.

[www.amazon.com]
Date: July 12, 2021 02:09PM
DeusxMac
Sorry to spoil your potential adventure, but "Bear Grease" is a name brand product.

[www.amazon.com]

What is more worrying: having my data trapped from that Amazon link or trapping an actual bear?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2021 02:10PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 12, 2021 02:15PM
Pffft. Why not live dangerously and make your own? And be sure to use an open flame. You Tube
Date: July 12, 2021 03:06PM
neophyte
Pffft. Why not live dangerously and make your own? And be sure to use an open flame. You Tube

I was watching some of those, and that would work nicely for my boots, but i also want to make some for canvas, and that would have to flame-proof. Any recs?
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 12, 2021 05:03PM
mrbigstuff
neophyte

I was watching some of those, and that would work nicely for my boots, but i also want to make some for canvas, and that would have to flame-proof. Any recs?

Flame-proofing using a non-aqueous liquid is not usually a DIY endeavor. You would have to use a halogenated hydrocarbon, like chlorinated paraffin or perfluoro/polyfluoro alkyl substances (aka PFAS) which are not easy to obtain. The latter is used to flame proof fabrics (as well as to make Teflon).

So just buy your canvas already flameproofed. Or buy some spray-on Teflon, like Scotchgard.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 12, 2021 06:19PM
Lord, I sometimes hat the rabbit holes I fall down into on YouTube.
Date: July 12, 2021 06:34PM
neophyte
mrbigstuff
neophyte

Flame-proofing using a non-aqueous liquid is not usually a DIY endeavor. You would have to use a halogenated hydrocarbon, like chlorinated paraffin or perfluoro/polyfluoro alkyl substances (aka PFAS) which are not easy to obtain. The latter is used to flame proof fabrics (as well as to make Teflon).

So just buy your canvas already flameproofed. Or buy some spray-on Teflon, like Scotchgard.

I'll be staying away from the PFAs, but thanks for the schooling.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 12, 2021 07:17PM
neophyte

Does the beeswax retard oxidation of the boiled linseed oil enough that spontaneous combustion is absolutely not a problem when storing canvas/cloth items treated with this mixture?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: July 12, 2021 08:17PM
Spiff

I'm full of self-loathing for some of the rabbit holes I've dropped into. IF asked about them directly, I would probably lie and deny and knowledge of such things...
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 12, 2021 09:59PM
hal
Spiff

I'm full of self-loathing for some of the rabbit holes I've dropped into. IF asked about them directly, I would probably lie and deny and knowledge of such things...

It all started so innocently, 4th of July weekend my wife told me she couldn't get one of our casement windows open. I looked at it, removed the screen, found that the lower corner seemed stuck and applied a bit of force there and got it open.

There seemed to be some dried mud in the corner that was the cause. I started breaking up the clump of mud and found some chambers and larvae in it. So I did some searching and it was a Mud Daubers nest.

I must have clicked on a YouTube video during some of that searching because YouTube started "recommending" a lot of bee keeping/removal videos.

Then I clicked on this one [www.youtube.com] and that started the recent addiction.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 13, 2021 06:52AM
That these folks in India can repair or rebuild just about anything while squatting/sitting on the ground, engines, transmissions, car batteries, etc.

Truck Battery. Yeah just dump the rinsed out battery solution out next to the road, SMH.
[www.youtube.com]

All videos
[www.youtube.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2021 06:54AM by Grateful11.
Date: July 13, 2021 08:34AM
Grateful11
That these folks in India can repair or rebuild just about anything while squatting/sitting on the ground, engines, transmissions, car batteries, etc.

Truck Battery. Yeah just dump the rinsed out battery solution out next to the road, SMH.
[www.youtube.com]

All videos
[www.youtube.com]

Yes! I've watched dozens if these videos, also.

If you do FB, check out "Steve" the mechanic from China. Wild stuff. Pretty much things like that are why I look at FB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2021 08:36AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 14, 2021 05:51AM
mrbigstuff
Grateful11

[www.youtube.com]

All videos
[www.youtube.com]

If you do FB, check out "Steve" the mechanic from China. Wild stuff. Pretty much things like that are why I look at FB.

I am on FB unfortunately. I've never heard of "Steve", I'll check him out.

Grateful11
Date: July 14, 2021 10:02AM
Grateful11
mrbigstuff
Grateful11

[www.youtube.com]

All videos
[www.youtube.com]

I am on FB unfortunately. I've never heard of "Steve", I'll check him out.

Search for Mechanic Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020