advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who has an Ooma Telo? (also Hub question)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 12, 2021 10:48PM
I just wondered what it is made out of because I'm looking for a Telo for my mom and most of the listings I see on ebay look like they were dragged behind a car for a week before they took pictures for the listing. Is it just because it's totally black so the photo exposure shows every little scratch, hair and spec of dust? Or is the finish really so fragile that it scratches if you look at it funny?

Also, I have a Hub and don't pay fees. Does anyone happen to know if Ooma will still activate a Hub?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who has an Ooma Telo? (also Hub question)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 12, 2021 11:04PM
I recently replaced my Telo with a newer unit - it gave up the ghost after almost ten years of service.

The old unit had a faux rubber coating on the top that slowly disintegrates as the devices ages, becoming quite tacky and leaving residue on the user's fingertips. I was not a fan of touching it during the last few years of its life. Because it is a matte surface, it shows scratches and such more more easily than hard plastic would - this is probably what you are seeing in the photos to which you refer.

The new unit does away with the faux rubber coating. It is hard plastic that should never deteriorate the way the old unit did.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 12, 2021 11:59PM
We have the white unit, and since it just sits there, not much happens to it.
Just a blob of hard white plastic. Gotta believe some units just get rougher treatment.
Good luck.
==
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 13, 2021 06:03AM
I have a new one for sale, DM me if interested
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 13, 2021 08:41AM
Mine is 8 years old and happily sits next to my router and does it's thing. My path was like this:

POTS for many years. Even had an Airport with Modem for internet via Wifi for work.
Once broadband arrived, VOIP wasn't a thing.
Later ported the POTS number to an ISP VOIP. Which was pricey.
Found out about Ooma here, bought one, ported the number from ISP VOIP to Ooma.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 13, 2021 10:38AM
cbelt3
Mine is 8 years old and happily sits next to my router and does it's thing. My path was like this:

POTS for many years. Even had an Airport with Modem for internet via Wifi for work.
Once broadband arrived, VOIP wasn't a thing.
Later ported the POTS number to an ISP VOIP. Which was pricey.
Found out about Ooma here, bought one, ported the number from ISP VOIP to Ooma.

Same path for me except I’m on my second Ooma. Actually third because I bought a refurb via Woot and let it sit until I needed it and it didn’t work when I needed it so I wasted money on the thing. (The refurb was intended to go to another country so they could have a USA number but mine died before I could make delivery.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 13, 2021 03:29PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I recently replaced my Telo with a newer unit - it gave up the ghost after almost ten years of service.

The old unit had a faux rubber coating on the top that slowly disintegrates as the devices ages, becoming quite tacky and leaving residue on the user's fingertips. I was not a fan of touching it during the last few years of its life. Because it is a matte surface, it shows scratches and such more more easily than hard plastic would - this is probably what you are seeing in the photos to which you refer.

The new unit does away with the faux rubber coating. It is hard plastic that should never deteriorate the way the old unit did.

Ah, that explains it, thanks. I have an old CompactFlash card reader with what must be a similar finish (as the old Telo) and over the years it got all tacky and gross.

Posted by: DewGuy
Date: July 13, 2021 07:54PM
I've had experience cleaning that rubberized coating off my hair clippers with rubbing alcohol, probably would work on other things as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2021 07:55PM by DewGuy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020