advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone else have BackBlaze cause their Mac to restart?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 13, 2021 11:33AM
Just started the initial backup process, with the latest v8.0.0.520 of BackBlaze. 6+TB of data, it's getting through it, with about 1.4TB remaining but when I leave it running overnight when I come back the computer is back to the log-in screen. (and no I don't have auto log out enabled). MacBookPro mid-2105, 10.14.6.

Anything I can do here, or just let it go and log back in as needed? Not a great experience if this is common.

EDIT - Two external USB drives are the bulk of it. I think it choked on a large .mkv file the last time as I had just seen that file in the queue before it the whole computer restarted (the whole 'your computer has restarted due to a problem...').

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2021 11:43AM by mikebw.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone else have BackBlaze cause their Mac to restart?
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 13, 2021 12:51PM
Make sure you have adequate free space on the drive. Space equivalent to the largest file you were trying to back up.
Date: July 13, 2021 01:42PM
Plenty 'o space, on all the attached drives and the internal.

I've just placed the folder containing the suspect files on the BB Exclusion list... so let's see how that goes.
Date: July 15, 2021 09:18AM
In case anyone finds this, the backup was able to complete. I haven't tested further but excluding one folder of especially large BluRay mkv rips seemed to do the trick. It seemed to get through a 29GB part1 of a movie, and then a 34GB file for part2, but I had made a single file to contain both of those parts which was 64GB, I guess that is too much for this computer to handle?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2021 09:18AM by mikebw.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020