advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need help with how to remove a gate hinge pin.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 13, 2021 07:07PM

I need to remove this gate panel.
It has a self closing hinge.
I can’t unscrew the whole assembly, because I can’t open the gate and the hinge is screwed to the outside and the inside of the post.
Do you think this pin just unscrews?
I think it has a spring inside. The bottom has the same slotted area as the top.
I have never removed a hinge pin that looked like this.
There are two of these butterfly type hinges on the gate, so I need to remove both pins.

Any help will be appreciated. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need help with how to remove a gate hinge pin.
Posted by: John B.
Date: July 13, 2021 07:32PM
If those hinges work the same way as some self-closing hinges I installed with new exterior doors this year, the slotted area on the top (hex area on mine) is for creating spring tension within the hinge. If so, on the side of the top part of the hinge, there should be a pin stuck in one of the holes to hold tension (like the hole at about the 6-o-clock position on the side below the slotted top). Putting a little tension on the slotted top would probably allow you to work the side pin loose and then turn the top slot screw to release the spring tension.

You would then need to unscrew the hinge from either the gate or post side. I don't think you can easily take apart a spring hinge. Reverse the steps when you want to reassemble/re-tension.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 13, 2021 07:32PM
No experience with that kind of hinge. There must be some pretty strong springs inside to close a gate, so I would not expect it to come apart easily.

Is there any manufacturer info on it? Take some photos of it like you are taking a photo for a product catalog, upload the images, then try Google image search.

https: //www.amazon.com/dp/B07QK9CC9Y/

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 13, 2021 07:38PM
....so lookin' to get unhinged.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 13, 2021 08:24PM
I looked for a pin to remove, before I posted. There isn’t one.
There is no way to remove all the screws that hold the hinge on, as I can’t open the gate. I could get the face screws off, but that wouldn’t help as the hinges are also screwed to the inside of the post, which is odd.
The neighbor had sod installed too high, so the gate will not swing open, hence the need to get the gate off, so we can cut the bottom off a bit.

I think I found out the name of the company that installed the fencing, so I will try to call them and ask if they know how I can remove the pin.

It seems like the pin has to come out because it seems they would have hung the gate that way, but who knows.

I hope the company will give me some help.

No manufacturer name either. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2021 08:25PM by rgG.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 13, 2021 08:39PM
Would it be possible to move the hinges up on the stationary fence post to raise the gate high enough to swing over the sod?

Build an A-frame around the gate near the hinge area to hold it upright, then build up some 2x4s under the gate. Use wedges on the 2x4s to lift it up and take the load off the hinges. Take out the screws, raise the gate enough to clear the sod, drill new holes (maybe tap threads if it's metal) and put the screws back in.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 13, 2021 09:58PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Would it be possible to move the hinges up on the stationary fence post to raise the gate high enough to swing over the sod?

Build an A-frame around the gate near the hinge area to hold it upright, then build up some 2x4s under the gate. Use wedges on the 2x4s to lift it up and take the load off the hinges. Take out the screws, raise the gate enough to clear the sod, drill new holes (maybe tap threads if it's metal) and put the screws back in.

As you can see, I can’t get anything under the bottom of the gate.
I need to get the pins out so we can cut the bars off at the bottom.
Most of these hinges are just surface mounted. Why this one wraps around the post and the edge of the gate is weird.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 13, 2021 11:37PM
rgG

An angle grinder would take care of cutting the bars while the gate is attached, at least enough to get it open, and then you could take the hinge off and clean it up.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 14, 2021 12:00AM
1. I would not try to disassemble that spring-loaded hinge...someone might get hurt. At the very least wear safety glasses.

2. Think about what's easier to do...deal with a complicated metal gate disassembly task or get a cutting shovel and peel back the sod while you work on the gate. The winner is shovel and sod!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 14, 2021 12:18AM
In the little hole is there a spot for a hex wrench to remove the pin?

Did you put anything in the slot on the top and try pushing down and turning?

Definitely wear safety glasses.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: July 14, 2021 12:46AM
Get a sawzall with a torch blade and just cut in place . that way could run the blade on the bottom frame rail . Cut the bars off flush .
Date: July 14, 2021 07:01AM
srf1957
Get a sawzall with a torch blade and just cut in place . that way could run the blade on the bottom frame rail . Cut the bars off flush .

I don’t think we want to cut the bars all the way off, but if we can’t get the gate off, we may have to cut in place.
I was wondering what type of blade to use on a sawzall.

I have emailed the fence people and attached pics to see what they say about taking off the gate.
If they don’t get back to me by this afternoon, I’ll give them a call.

I know the neighbor really doesn’t want to disturb the sod, if at all possible, but we will see.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 14, 2021 07:07AM
davester
1. I would not try to disassemble that spring-loaded hinge...someone might get hurt. At the very least wear safety glasses.

2. Think about what's easier to do...deal with a complicated metal gate disassembly task or get a cutting shovel and peel back the sod while you work on the gate. The winner is shovel and sod!

This. One can always replace sod if taken up with a nice square shovel. Some wouldn't know the difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2021 07:08AM by mrbigstuff.
Date: July 14, 2021 07:08AM
Thanks for all the advice.
Hopefully some combination of the above will solve the problem.
It’s a pity that we didn’t notice that the gate wouldn’t open when the sod guys were here. He might have to call them back, if we need to pull up the sod. It was their mistake, so we will see.
These are townhomes so most of us have no longer have our gardening tools we use to have is why I mention getting the sod guys to come back.
I am leaning toward cut in place, unless the fence people say removing the pin is an easy task. Maybe they would even come out and do the job for not a lot of coin.

Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 14, 2021 07:31AM
Are you sure that there are screws on the inside portion of the hinge?

And, yes, the easiest way to would be to remove the sod.

If the gate is metal, a metal cutting blade will work.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 14, 2021 08:30AM
I vote reciprocating saw with metal cutting blade (something with a high TPI).

I am concerned that if the bars are hollow that cutting off the bottoms will leave an opening for moisture to get in which will damage the metal more quickly than not.
Date: July 14, 2021 08:30AM
MikeF
Are you sure that there are screws on the inside portion of the hinge?

Yes. The hinge wraps around the post and there are visible screws on the front and the inside.
What is really irritating is some of the other gates in the neighborhood are only surface mounted and would be easy to remove. turbo naughty smiley

Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 14, 2021 08:41AM
I would peel back the sod so the gate will open, then take the gate off and cut it to fit.
Date: July 14, 2021 09:21AM
neophyte
I would peel back the sod so the gate will open, then take the gate off and cut it to fit.

It’s my neighbor’s sod, so he will have to make that call.
I am trying to get all the options for us now. He is out of town till tomorrow, so hopefully when he gets back, we can formulate a plan.

I did try to turn that pin, with a screw driver. It is not budging, at least for me.

I am waiting for a call back from the fence people to see what they say we can do.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 14, 2021 09:33AM
rgG
neophyte

It’s my neighbor’s sod, so he will have to make that call.
I am trying to get all the options for us now. He is out of town till tomorrow, so hopefully when he gets back, we can formulate a plan.

I did try to turn that pin, with a screw driver. It is not budging, at least for me.

I am waiting for a call back from the fence people to see what they say we can do.

If the gate is on your property then so is the sod. It in't his whether he paid for it or not.... I would just cut the bottom of the gate with an angle grinder and then paint/seal and get caps for the bottom.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 14, 2021 10:27AM
I expect that a least. some specialized tool(s) will be required. I'd contact a local fence company and inquire what a service call would cost. I would NOT be surprised that, in the long run, that would be the safest and least expensive way to resolve your problem.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 14, 2021 10:34AM
Where is this gate, maybe your neighbor does not want you to open it.
Date: July 14, 2021 11:29AM
This is a gate that allows access to the back yards.
It has to be functional because different people employed by the HOA have to have access to the back yards.
The neighbor and I are on great terms. I am just trying to figure out what will work back and be easiest for both of us.

As I said, I have already called the fence installer and am waiting for him to call me back.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 14, 2021 12:04PM
A die grinder or cutoff tool is the way to go. It will b so much faster. Visit Harbor Freight, buy the tool and spare discs and back home. The Job will be done in an hour.

rgG
Filliam H. Muffman

Most of these hinges are just surface mounted. Why this one wraps around the post and the edge of the gate is weird.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 14, 2021 12:24PM
I would not use a Sawzall or reciprocating saw. They are meant for rough work and not finish work. You won't get an even cut and could mar the finish on the rails. Plus it's very likely that they won't be cut evenly. Pull the sod up and use a proper cutoff tool to get a nice finish. This way you can cut a nice straight line across the bars.

The neighbor's contractor should be held accountable for their poor work practices.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 14, 2021 02:00PM
macphanatic
I would not use a Sawzall or reciprocating saw. They are meant for rough work and not finish work. You won't get an even cut and could mar the finish on the rails. Plus it's very likely that they won't be cut evenly. Pull the sod up and use a proper cutoff tool to get a nice finish. This way you can cut a nice straight line across the bars.

The neighbor's contractor should be held accountable for their poor work practices.

This. I think your neighbor should call the sod guys and have them come and fix the problem. They could easily remove the sod, shave down the underlying dirt and re-lay the sod so that the gate will open.
Date: July 14, 2021 03:07PM
Michael
macphanatic

This. I think your neighbor should call the sod guys and have them come and fix the problem. They could easily remove the sod, shave down the underlying dirt and re-lay the sod so that the gate will open.

I had thought of that, too. We will see what the neighbor thinks.

Date: July 18, 2021 09:07AM
Neighbor was finally able to get the gate open. He lifted up enough on the gate that he was able to open it with minimal damage to his new sod. YEA! Maybe all the rain we have had this week helped.

This allowed him to remove the hinges and take the gate off. smiley-music039

He is still trying to decide if he wants to cut it himself or if he is going to get someone to come by to do it. He is very particular, so I am leaving that decision up to him. It is the bottom of a gate, pretty much obscured by grass, but if he wants to obsess over it, I get it. I just want the gate to operate. Lol

At least with the gate off, it will be an easier/better job.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020