advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wheel locks
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 14, 2021 06:22PM
Does anyone actually use these things? They came with the car, but I'm thinking of taking them off and putting the normal lugs back on. Assuming one lives in a safe, low-crime area (I do) and the wheels aren't super fancy (they aren't), is there any practical reason to deal with them?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wheel locks
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 14, 2021 06:55PM
Keeping them on help insures that the key will be missing when you have a non-fixable flat.

Dump them.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 14, 2021 06:58PM
Wurm,

They came with my car and I definitely wouldn't put normal lugs back on. Living in a safe, low-crime area doesn't mean thieves won't go after your wheels. My guess is that you also drive into areas are less safe and have higher rates of vehicle crime.I live in a safe, low-crime area but the level of vehicular crime increases significantly just a few miles away.

While wheel locks may not necessarily stop a persistent pro, they are definitely a nuisance and barrier to theft. Might be just enough for a thief to skip my car and move onto a model with easier wheels to remove.

[www.thespruce.com]

[www.cars.com]

FWIW, I know exactly where the key for the locking lugs is stored. It isn't going to get lost.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2021 06:59PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 14, 2021 07:07PM
What sort of vehicle we talking? My coworker had her brand-new Jeep's wheels stolen in broad daylight in our parking lot at work, in a little office complex deep in suburbia. I'm sure it was the age and the large, pricey wheels that attracted them. Unremarkable 16" wheels on an uninspired sedan aren't going to turn much profit.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 14, 2021 07:26PM
Robert M
Wurm,

They came with my car and I definitely wouldn't put normal lugs back on. Living in a safe, low-crime area doesn't mean thieves won't go after your wheels. My guess is that you also drive into areas are less safe and have higher rates of vehicle crime.I live in a safe, low-crime area but the level of vehicular crime increases significantly just a few miles away.

While wheel locks may not necessarily stop a persistent pro, they are definitely a nuisance and barrier to theft. Might be just enough for a thief to skip my car and move onto a model with easier wheels to remove.

[www.thespruce.com]

[www.cars.com]

FWIW, I know exactly where the key for the locking lugs is stored. It isn't going to get lost.

Robert

They won't stop a drug addict, nevermind a persistent Pro. They aren't going to stop anyone who wants your wheels. All you have to do is use the next size smaller socket and hammer it on with a 20lbs mallet. It takes 2 seconds longer to remove one.
[www.youtube.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2021 07:30PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 14, 2021 07:29PM
Our car came with them and I'm leaving them on. I suppose experienced and/or persistent thieves can get the wheels but the casual thief will (hopefully!) go to the next car. It's the same reason we use controlled lights in the house whether we're here or not.
Date: July 14, 2021 07:32PM
Thieves suck. Problem is if I hide the key where I know I'll remember it, it will likely be easy enough for a thief to find, too.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 14, 2021 07:38PM
C(-)ris,

True but an extra an annoyance is still an extra annoyance. Gives me a teensy bit more piece of mind and that;s worth something. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: hal
Date: July 14, 2021 07:41PM
wurm
Does anyone actually use these things? They came with the car, but I'm thinking of taking them off and putting the normal lugs back on. Assuming one lives in a safe, low-crime area (I do) and the wheels aren't super fancy (they aren't), is there any practical reason to deal with them?

Back in the 90s some put my mid 80s honda civic on milk crates and stole all of the wheels. It was NOT a fancy car... I bought wheel locks...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 14, 2021 08:06PM
Does anyone actually use these things?

I did, when I had a set of really nice rims and tires on my previous car.

Many people try to discourage their use with 'if somebody really want it/them...' and 'Locks only keep honest people out' stupid obvious cliches.

These are the same people who lock their doors at night with a cheap lockset and maybe a poorly installed deadbolt.

Not everybody is a master thief or burglar.

NOBODY knows who was discouraged from stealing one's property because of the addition of some basic lock.

Nothing is guaranteed to be 100% effective.

But if somebody moves on to another target that's less prepared, then that's one for you, even if you don't know it.

If someone doesn't want to go the extra step, fine.

If someone does, fine too, just be aware there are no guarantees.

Anything, anybody, can get got.

Doesn't mean it/they will.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 14, 2021 08:12PM
C(-)ris
They won't stop a drug addict, nevermind a persistent Pro. They aren't going to stop anyone who wants your wheels. All you have to do is use the next size smaller socket and hammer it on with a 20lbs mallet. It takes 2 seconds longer to remove one.
[www.youtube.com]

after watching that video, I can't imagine how it led you to write that post.

That mallet made A LOT of noise. And it would have to be done 4 times to get 4 wheels. AND the bad guys would have to actually buy this kit and take it with them to do the job. What junkie does this? What common criminal does this? What persistent pros go out to steal unfancy wheels?

Fast and easy is what they are looking for.
Date: July 14, 2021 08:51PM
hal
C(-)ris
[www.youtube.com]

after watching that video, I can't imagine how it led you to write that post.

That mallet made A LOT of noise. And it would have to be done 4 times to get 4 wheels. AND the bad guys would have to actually buy this kit and take it with them to do the job. What junkie does this? What common criminal does this? What persistent pros go out to steal unfancy wheels?

Fast and easy is what they are looking for.

They use electric impact wrenches and rubber mallets. You can do the same thing with out the kit just using a smaller socket. Either way, the lock isn’t stopping them. There are dealerships who have had entire lots stripped of wheels that had locks on them overnight.

Ever watched a NASCAR pit stop? That is how long it takes to steal wheels. No matter how much noise they make they will be gone before you get out of bed and to the window.

They are about as effective as a Walmart bike lock is of stopping a bike thief. If it doesn’t get stolen it is likely because they didn’t want it.

C(-)ris
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 14, 2021 08:53PM
A long time ago, I bought fairly new used car that had them, and I didn't know it. No record of where the key was, so the dealer had to cut them off when servicing the vehicle. Without thinking about it, I let them talk me into a replacement set. Guess what. A year or two later, I was getting new tires or something and they couldn't find the key. I didn't bother with them after that.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 14, 2021 09:13PM
It depends on the car and if there is a market for wheels that size. My '86 Civic got stolen twice in six months for the wheels. I sold it after the third theft.

If it is aftermarket, most of the time you can take a picture of the lug and find the same one at a parts store.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 14, 2021 09:18PM
Our Lexus and Acura have factory locks (both from McGard, BTW), and I put McGard locks on the Sienna's Borbet wheels..... just gotta keep the lock keys separate.... but now that y'all brought it up, it's probably time to write an initial on each key to help keep track of 'em.

No wheel thefts w/ wheel locks, but the fancy wheel center caps have gone missing from the Borbet's, which came with three different sets of center caps; the fancy ones that I used, a set of essentially stenciled aluminum disks, and some that are best described as stickers. Lost track of the latter two, many years ago. When I get around to it, I'm just gonna replace 'em w/ generic Toyota logo'ed center caps, as the replacement cost for the fancy Borbet's is ridiculous.

I'm down w/ wheel locks as a deterrent for would be thieves. It kinda sucks, as IIRC, most stolen wheels only fetch $50 - $100 in the no receipt/no questions asked market. That's a lot of work, and a lot of risk, for not much return. Cost of deterrence seems worth it. Ya never know when you're gonna park in a marginal area, where the ~$40 cost of the deterrent will be worth it.
==
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 14, 2021 10:54PM
IMO this is one thing neighborhood groups are good for - are wheels being stolen where you live? if not, skip the locks.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 14, 2021 11:31PM
My current vehicle came with them. None of my previous vehicles did. Never had my wheels, always stock, stolen.

My first car was 10 years old. A 1980 Toyota Celica. It did get stolen.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 15, 2021 06:58AM
No need to hammer a smaller socket on. There are custom sockets designed to remove wheel locks. With a cordless impact gun, they can be removed in seconds.

If one doesn't put anti-seize on the rotor hub, newer wheels may require more work to get off than the wheel locks.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 15, 2021 12:10PM
Robert M
C(-)ris,

True but an extra an annoyance is still an extra annoyance. Gives me a teensy bit more piece of mind and that;s worth something. smiling smiley

Robert

agree smiley

What they help prevent is a crime of opportunity.
A crime that is committed without planning when the perpetrator sees that they have the chance to commit the act at that moment and seizes it. Such acts have little or no premeditation.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 15, 2021 12:19PM
Date: July 15, 2021 01:24PM
Damn. That's just crazy.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: July 15, 2021 04:29PM
You keep the special lug that works for your wheel lock in the trunk with the jack/spare. That is the only time you are going to need it.
Date: July 15, 2021 06:02PM
DeusxMac
Robert M
C(-)ris,

Robert

agree smiley

What they help prevent is a crime of opportunity.
A crime that is committed without planning when the perpetrator sees that they have the chance to commit the act at that moment and seizes it. Such acts have little or no premeditation.

Lug nuts prevent wheels from being stolen randomly. Anyone who is walking around with the tools needed to steal a set of wheels off a car has premediated and unless this is first time they have ever run into a locking lug is going to have a tool to get it off.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 16, 2021 12:45PM
Maddog
You keep the special lug that works for your wheel lock in the trunk with the jack/spare. That is the only time you are going to need it.
Exactly. I'm critical of modern Volkswagens in lots of ways, but one thing they absolutely get right is having a molded foam insert for the spare wheel with a specific place in it for every tire changing tool including the wheel lock key.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020