advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do keep in your vehicle and where?
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 16, 2021 02:02PM
Random thought as a follow up to my wheel lock question. I'm trying to keep things tidy in my new vehicle; at least more so than I did with the old. I have a glove compartment (with a gigantic Owners' Manual taking up room), a medium sized center console storage compartment, doorside pockets, and a small tray area in front of the console. I'm looking for a container of sorts (duffle bag?) to keep in the area around the spare tire (pic below). I'd love to hear suggestions for that. But again, I don't want to keep crap I don't really need.

Jumper cables? We have AAA.
Tire inflator? maybe, but I could be talked out of it.
Jug of washer fluid? Plan better and keep reservoir full before traveling.
Tool kit? Probably worth keeping handy.
A rag or two? Sure, I can stuff them anywhere.
Umbrella? can probably go in a door pocket.

So what do you keep handy in your vehicle that takes up room, but that you really wouldn't feel comfortable doing without?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do keep in your vehicle and where?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 16, 2021 02:25PM
Golf clubs, iDevice charging cables, napkins, small accordion-type waste basket, small umbrella, sunglasses, owner's manual, maintenance receipts. When I had older vehicles, I would keep spare light bulbs in the glove compartment, jumper cables, and a quart of oil.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 16, 2021 02:32PM
we kinda discussed before: [forums.macresource.com]

For me: portable jump charger, a few tie down straps, gloves, small socket set, multi-headed screwdriver, window breaker/seatbelt tool and a couple of space blankets. Easier to fit now that I stopped carrying jumper cables/

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 16, 2021 03:24PM
.....contrary to what you have heard......no body in my trunk.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 16, 2021 03:39PM
I gave up on jumper cables when I read that the car jumping from can incur damage to the charging system, some kind of sudden inductive load or something like that. So we got AAA too.

Bottles of water during warm months, refreshed weekly, in the big center console compartment.

Roll of paper towels, partial, back door pockets.

Pencils, pens, sticky notes, in the console.

Hand sanitizer, console, though it could be leaving soon.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 16, 2021 03:47PM
Blankets, hachet, NOCO jump bank, cowbells.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 16, 2021 04:38PM
Two of four our vehicles don't even have spares or jacks...

We keep a jump box in our truck as it's 20 years old and gets driven infrequently.

In the winter, we keep window scrapers and a shovel in each car, as well as gloves, a blanket, and a spare jacket.

Each car has a lightning cable or two. Since COVID, each car has some paper masks and sanitizing wipes. We try to keep a spare pair of sunglasses and reading glasses in each vehicle too.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 16, 2021 05:31PM
car came with a cheerio spare tire with jack and lugnut wrench
Going from memory, I've added:
In the trunk:
- first aid kit
- valve tool & cores
- valve caps
- work gloves
- rope
- screwdrivers, socket set, pliers
- emergency rations and Life Straw filter
- jumpstarter/air compressor
- electrical tape
- jacket and spare set of clothes & underwear, shoes

In the passenger compartment:
- travel kleenex pack
- a few folded up paper towels
- garage door opener (with a spare battery)
- dynamo-powered flashlight
- maps covering the local and nearby areas (San Diego/Orange/Los Angeles Counties)
- owner's manual for the car
- small clipboard with pad of paper
- checklist on what to do in case of accident
- 2 to 3 writing implements
- film canister about halfway filled with quarters (leftover from when parking meters required them)
- small bottle of hand sanitizer
- ice scraper
- Element fire extinguisher
- Tide to Go Pen
- Trident mint gum (foil blister pack)
- collapsible umbrella

Thinking a bit, I should add a P-38 can opener as well, and a few utensils.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2021 05:32PM by SDGuy.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 16, 2021 05:55PM
In MN, we keep a winter car kit. Used to include flashlight and batteries, but that's replaced by our iPhones.

We have jumper cables - to help others more than anything - and now a portable flash charger.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 16, 2021 07:29PM
Flashlight, portable jump pack (flashlight semi-redundant), leather gloves, first aid, space blanket. Currently have run-flat tires with a factory goo-injector but considering a mini spare, jack, wrench, and flares. Car manual on phone.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 16, 2021 08:00PM
....a hot toddy.....and a warm embrace......

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 16, 2021 09:12PM
sekker
In MN, we keep a winter car kit. Used to include flashlight and batteries, but that's replaced by our iPhones.

We have jumper cables - to help others more than anything - and now a portable flash charger.

yeah, might depend on where you are. my kids wouldn't recognize an ice scraper or anything "winter". And as previously mentioned, jumper cables are so 2000..

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 16, 2021 09:28PM
Using jumper cables requires using the negative on the body and not on the battery. Most jumper cables have this info on the packaging. That’s what saves your charging system. Having big vehicles, I have a 20’ set on cables in each car.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 16, 2021 09:50PM
Carm
Using jumper cables requires using the negative on the body and not on the battery. Most jumper cables have this info on the packaging. That’s what saves your charging system. Having big vehicles, I have a 20’ set on cables in each car.

I thought the point of that was that when you made the final connection to ground, you wouldn't create a spark near the battery and risk fire/explosion.

Because as far as creating a connection for current flow, the negative terminal of the battery would be the ideal location.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2021 03:51AM
Tire plug kit and 12v mini air compressor because all my car has is a can of compressed inflator gunk, no spare but run-flat tires which I hate because of the crappy ride. I know how much tire shops hate the gunk.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 17, 2021 08:15AM
Tire plug kit should be in everyone's vehicle...preferably with one of those mini compressors as well.

On the side of the road it's a heck of a lot easier to remove a nail in the tread, ream out the hole and then force in a sticky plug versus "changing the tire" (i.e. jacking up the vehicle then dismounting & re-mounting a wheel)
Posted by: Golfer
Date: July 17, 2021 02:16PM
about a dozen ratchet straps, 4 receiver spades (1 7/8", 2", 2 5/16", one blank for pins), a tool box with wrenches, sockets, and misc, tow chain, tow strap, snatch strap, couple quarts of oil, jumper cables, insulated overalls, winter coat, blanket, several pair of gloves, and of course my golf clubs. All behind the rear seat of my mega cab.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 17, 2021 04:25PM
You people aren't helping! I'm trying to reduce the stuff in the car, not add to it. smiling smiley

I have sunglasses and nighttime driving glasses in the center console, along with a USB/lightning phone cable, a knife and multitool type thingie, a fusepuller, and a couple of wet-wipes. My EZ-Pass transponder is in there too because I use it so infrequently now, I don't want to mount it on the windshield.

In the glove compartment I have the Owners Manual(s), a couple of masks (just in case), a few pens, a small ice scraper, and my tire pressure gauge. which now that I think of it I don't need anymore with my inflator and built-in TPMS showing actual reading and tire.

Now I'm looking for a smallish bag I can keep under the rear storage area alongside the spare, to hold some other essentials. I have the inflator in there now. Good idea to add the tire plug kit. I'll also add the small toolbox from the previous vehicle and a few rags. When winter comes, I'll add a full-sized ice scraper as well. And oh yeah, the wheel lock key (until such time as i decide to remove the locking nuts).

Most importantly, my AAA membership number is in my iPhone.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 19, 2021 12:05PM
Yes, masks are the latest must-have addition to our car inventory. I do not carry tire kits, but I suppose we could if we do more road trips.
Date: July 20, 2021 09:18PM
.....humility......????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020