advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
CarPlay: a solution in need of a problem? (for me)
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 17, 2021 04:46PM
I've read through a couple of threads here and elsewhere, but I guess I'm just not getting the attraction; at least for me. I bought a new vehicle that is CarPlay capable. This med-level trim has a wireless charging pad for my phone, but would still require the phone to be connected via usb cable for CarPlay.

Here's the thing. It has built-in navigation and maps, so I don't need to use my iPhone for navigation. I'm semi-retired (working part-time exclusively from home) so will not be commuting back to the station ever again, so I don't need traffic updates. Frankly, even when I was commuting an hour and a half each way to work every day, the morning news traffic reports usually told me all I needed to know. I tried Waze once and dumped it shortly thereafter, so that's a non-issue.

The vehicle has Bluetooth of course. So despite the fact that I mostly listen to the radio, even if i wanted to listen to music or audiobooks on my phone, i can do so via Bluetooth. Or I can dump them onto a usb stick and just keep it plugged into a usb port.

The car has the ability to display notifications of texts and either display or read them to me, and let me reply, all via the big Infotainment system screen.

So what's left that CarPlay does that I might use? I can't think of anything other than seeing the phone's display on the big screen. The way I see it, it's one less cable I have draped over the console if I don't use it. But as usual, I could be missing a big feature than I'm just not thinking of at the moment. So if there is, let's hear it.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: CarPlay: a solution in need of a problem? (for me)
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 17, 2021 04:53PM
I hate the navigation user interface on my Mazda, I find it way easier to enter a destination on my iPhone. Or someone texts you the address if you find a location on Google or Apple Maps, all you need to do is click Go, no need to type that into your cars built in navigation system.

Apple CarPlay is my preferred method.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 17, 2021 05:02PM
wurm
I'm semi-retired (working part-time exclusively from home)...

I think that's the crux of the issue.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: raz
Date: July 17, 2021 05:11PM
I find the CarPlay user interface a bit nicer than the stock Mazda interface - but not enough to justify the $400 upgrade. That said, the next car I buy should have wireless CarPlay. Plug in is a major loss.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 17, 2021 06:17PM
No one has answered his question: What can Car Play do that he cannot do by other means?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: July 17, 2021 06:23PM
modelamac
No one has answered his question: What can Car Play do that he cannot do by other means?

You can use the navigation app of your choice. Apple Maps, Waze, Google maps.

Think about this: technically you can navigate with a paper map. You can listen to radio. You can back up without a rear view camera. You can start your car by turning the key. Would don’t really need all these fancy options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 06:23PM by space-time.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 17, 2021 06:58PM
modelamac

Its an interface designed for driving a car and it focuses on mostly 'essential' items and pushed out distractions. Its not what it can do, it what it doesn't do.

Wireless charging is slow enough that I don't really understand the point in a car. Especially if you're using GPS which sucks battery. For me, thats the thing that makes the least amount of sense in your setup.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 17, 2021 08:04PM
It’s also an interface installed in a more usable location compared to any number of janky phone mount setups.

Just be careful not to depend on it necessarily. My dad leased a new CR-V with it and it never synced right to his iPhone. No one at Honda nor Apple could make it right until the CR-V was swapped for another. Statistically irrelevant, sure, but no tech is a silver bullet.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 17, 2021 08:22PM
I guess it depends on the car, how you use the GPS, and the audio functionality. It takes forever to enter a destination addresses on my car GPS and the car has to be stationary. With Waze I can say [store] [city] [state] while driving and it will usually reply with the right address.

I have no wireless charging. The built in USB will barely keep up with Bluetooth music streaming and Waze.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 17, 2021 09:14PM
modelamac
The one thing that CarPlay does better is display Apple Maps on an eight inch screen in my Kia Sorento rather than the tiny map on my iPhone 8. BTW, Apple Maps is much improved since the last time I used it. I like when it says stuff like “at the second stop sign, turn left”. Wayze and Google Maps don’t give such detailed directions.
Everything else CarPlay does is a bonus for me. Between CarPlay and SiriusXM, driving is enjoyable again.

richorlin
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 17, 2021 09:18PM
The quality of the audio through the wired connection is dramatically better than BT and you'll probably find that the Music app via CarPlay looks nicer than the player in your head-unit.

When you do need to navigate somewhere, it's hard to beat Waze via CarPlay.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 17, 2021 09:19PM
CarPlay. Fan.
==
Date: July 17, 2021 09:39PM
Okay. Well, I might as well give it a try. Thanks
Posted by: tenders
Date: July 17, 2021 09:45PM
CarPlay makes your phone the guts of a consistent, integrated, online navigation and entertainment system.

It isn’t necessary but its familiar interface, consistency across vehicles, continuously updated maps, and availability of other apps like podcasts makes it a winner for me. We won’t buy another car without it.

The proprietary navigation systems by the various car manufacturers aren’t great by comparison, and the data gets stale.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 17, 2021 11:54PM
I love my car - the only thing that makes it less than perfect is that it does not have CarPlay.

It is what it is.
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: July 18, 2021 12:08AM
Your iTunes music, your contacts, your calendar, your messages, your map favorites, your HomeKit garage door and some other apps on your screen in a nice simple presentation. It all works together nicely. Make sure to use a good cable.

Long time Mac user
Posted by: ArtP
Date: July 18, 2021 01:22AM
modelamac

Wired (and Wireless) Carplay displays album artwork while Bluetooth doesn't.

I just put a new Carplay compatible Pioneer head unit in my older Honda CRV and it is neat to see the album artwork. Bluetooth doesn't display artwork if I am not mistaken.

Not a dealbreaker but nice
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 18, 2021 05:41AM
Apple Maps updated at no cost. Shows traffic real-time at no cost.

Factory navigation maps tend to be old and cost to update. Real time traffic requires SiriusXM subscription.
Date: July 18, 2021 07:31AM
Of course, you don’t have to use it.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 18, 2021 07:38AM
I won't buy another car without CarPlay and Android Auto.

The navigation alone is worth it. Traffic data is live, roads are always updated so even when my 4 yr old Cadillac thinks I'm off road, Google Maps has me in the right place.

Voice control is another thing where auto manufacturers have not caught up to Apple and Google.

Waze... Needs no explanation.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 18, 2021 01:55PM
macphanatic
Apple Maps updated at no cost. Shows traffic real-time at no cost.

Factory navigation maps tend to be old and cost to update. Real time traffic requires SiriusXM subscription.

Yeah, $150 for 2012 Acura MDX map updates = CarPlay dreams.
==
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 18, 2021 02:35PM
My wife's 2018 Subaru Outback has CarPlay and I love when I drive the car and get to use it. I find it a great boon for music playback (general ease of use) and most especially for mapping. I'm sold and will make sure it's available on any future vehicle purchase.

I'll probably add it to my daughter's Kia Soul via a Sony head unit; however, our 2013 Honda Odyssey has no easy path for that, as when I got it we did the full touring package (DVD + Sat Nav). (FWIW, Honda wants $150 to update the maps, which is laughable.)

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: July 18, 2021 03:46PM
(FWIW, Honda wants $150 to update the maps, which is laughable.)

Same with Mazda, I think it costs like $70... but I had 3 years of free updates, so I made just to updated just before the end of the 3 year period, not planning to update ever again as I upgraded the car to Apple Car Play and virtually never use the build-in navigation.
Date: July 18, 2021 06:43PM
space-time
(FWIW, Honda wants $150 to update the maps, which is laughable.)

Same with Mazda, I think it costs like $70... but I had 3 years of free updates, so I made just to updated just before the end of the 3 year period, not planning to update ever again as I upgraded the car to Apple Car Play and virtually never use the build-in navigation.

FWIW, you can find SD cards with map updates for major manufacturers for $20-$40 on Amazon and eBay. Some are even legit.

Date: July 18, 2021 06:56PM
Thanks again for the comments. Interestingly, we took about an hour and a half drive today (to visit my new grandson and his parents) using the built-in nav. Nice display, but my wife and I were both surprised that it still referenced the old exit numbers. MA started changing them last Fall. Google Maps used the correct exit numbers on my wife's iPhone. Didn't check Apple maps.

That's probably worth experimenting right there.
Date: July 18, 2021 07:03PM
One other thing. Maybe i just don't know how to use it correctly, but when I hit CarPlay, the iPhone shows up as it should, but then the damn music starts immediately before i even have a chance to hit the maps icon. When that kept happening with my previous car, it was so annoying I ended up trashing the Music app altogether just to keep it from happening. Is this a "feature"? If so, is there a way to turn it off? If I look at my phone, the music app isn't even open. I plug it into the car and it starts right up.
Date: July 18, 2021 09:47PM
wurm
One other thing. Maybe i just don't know how to use it correctly, but when I hit CarPlay, the iPhone shows up as it should, but then the damn music starts immediately before i even have a chance to hit the maps icon. When that kept happening with my previous car, it was so annoying I ended up trashing the Music app altogether just to keep it from happening. Is this a "feature"? If so, is there a way to turn it off? If I look at my phone, the music app isn't even open. I plug it into the car and it starts right up.

Bunch of iOS based hacks for this, but in my case it turned out that there was an auto-play setting in my head-unit that started audio playing automatically as soon as I switched to another source. Toggling that off was the solution.

Date: July 18, 2021 09:53PM
Thanks. I didn't see anything obvious in the menus, but I'll check again.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 19, 2021 12:37AM
Congrats on the new wheels! What did you get?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 19, 2021 08:22AM
I use Bluetooth and my iPhone for audio listening on my short commute. CarPlay via usb for trips. Far better than my GM gps system that even when updated is older maps…

Enjoy your semi-retirement and don’t worry about CarPlay until you want to try something new.
Date: July 19, 2021 09:17AM
Speedy
Congrats on the new wheels! What did you get?

After some research and a lot of hunting around for one in the color and trim I wanted, I bought a 2022 Kia Seltos (stock photo below). It's officially considered a subcompact SUV. With a new grandson, my wife was not comfortable making any kind of regular trips with my old 2012 Prius with 152k miles. I won't be getting 50mpg anymore, but I should get 30. And that won't matter as much since I'm no longer commuting to work. It's only the second car I've ever driven in which I don't have to rack the driver's seat all the back upon getting in. Lots of interior room considering its external size.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 19, 2021 09:25AM
>With a new grandson, my wife was not comfortable making any kind of regular trips with my old 2012 Prius with 152k miles.

Was it having problems or was she spooked by the odometer?
Date: July 19, 2021 12:22PM
mattkime
>With a new grandson, my wife was not comfortable making any kind of regular trips with my old 2012 Prius with 152k miles.

Was it having problems or was she spooked by the odometer?

Neither and both. It was plenty roomy for me, but she was uncomfortable with the size (it was fairly tiny), no room in the back if my daughter wanted to ride with us, and neither my wife nor daughter would drive it because it always seemed like it was working very hard to attain speed and they couldn't get used to the regenerative braking. Yes, it struggled with three people in the car, especially going up any kind of lengthy incline. It was also low to the ground and was probably in need of shocks/struts, so one could feel every bump. I guess I just got used to it. smiling smiley
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: July 19, 2021 07:46PM
congratz on your new grandson!
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 19, 2021 11:29PM
The BMW Nav is much larger and prettier on my 230i, but the ability to have Waze in CarPlay makes it the better option for me most of the time. I like the flexibility as Apple will continue to update their software faster and longer than BMW will update theirs. My previous BMW was the first car to have WiFi CarPlay and the system works well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020