advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Kill-a-watt
Posted by: rouderon
Date: July 19, 2021 09:23AM
Something is causing an energy spike and I thought I’d buy a Kill-a-watt to find the culprit. Looking on Amazon, they are priced all over the board. Also, most have high ratings, but seem to have a lot of recent comments about issues. Any recommendations?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kill-a-watt
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 19, 2021 10:35AM
I have several of the model P4400's for years, and I'm not seeing it "ships and sold by Amazon", just 3rd party sellers on Amazon. Harbor Freight seems to carry it at an OK price and Home Depot a little bit higher. I thought they were closer to $20 when I was buying them a decade or two ago. I don't have any experience with their newer models or other brands.

[www.harborfreight.com]
[www.homedepot.com]
Date: July 19, 2021 11:04AM
Awesome! I had looked at HD and Lowes to see if I could get one locally - Lowes returned not results and HD returned the same one you posted, but no availability (even with shipping). I totally forgot about HF, and looks like it's in stock locally. Much appreciation!
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 19, 2021 12:44PM
I have an older model, I believe P4400 with 1W resolution. I also have a newer model, P4401 or maybe P4400.1 with 0.1W resolution. Of course I like the second one better.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 19, 2021 01:40PM
our local library lets you check them out. Grant from the power utility paid for them.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 20, 2021 08:43AM
Just get the one that measures down to 1 watt. Your usage is measured in kilowatts and you are billed by the kilowatt. You are looking for the high usage item, so a 1 watt measurement is good enough.

rouderon
Awesome! I had looked at HD and Lowes to see if I could get one locally - Lowes returned not results and HD returned the same one you posted, but no availability (even with shipping). I totally forgot about HF, and looks like it's in stock locally. Much appreciation!

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: July 20, 2021 10:11AM
Thanks Ed - good to know!
Date: July 20, 2021 10:23AM
I appreciate all the input! I ended up going to Harbor Freight and getting the one they carry. The model is P4400.01 - hopefully this guy will pay for itself! :-)
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 20, 2021 11:56AM
One of the reviews from Harbor Freight is hilarious!

Can't live without this product!
I told my wife of 30 years that her new hairdryer was making our electric bill skyrocket. As per usual, she didn't believe me. So without her knowiknowledge I bought this Kill-A-Watt™ Electric Monitor but, told her it was a surge protector. After a month I told her the truth and revealed how much extra electricity she was using and to my dismay, she said "I'm not giving up my hairdryer", you'll just have to find a second job.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 20, 2021 03:06PM
you'll just have to find a second job.

LOL, a great response.

I've got the P4400.01, it was about $22, sold/shipped by AMZ, a couple years back.

I've used it once or twice, and really should drill down.

A good start would be looking up my $/KW from PG&E.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020