advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New vehicle required maintenance
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 19, 2021 04:04PM
I didn't realize how lucky I was (and how much $$ I saved) driving a car long out of warranty and thus doing my own oil changes and tire rotations. Just for the hell of it looked to see what an oil change costs in my new car and with a coupon, it's $89.95! Tire rotation (and balance) is $79.95. Granted, that's full synthetic oil and an OEM filter, but Jeebus. Buying a jug of Mobil 1 and an oem filter has cost me about $32. Yes, my time is worth something, but I enjoyed doing it and knowing it was done right in the 20 minutes it took me. Likewise tire rotation. And yes, I can go 7500 miles between oil changes now instead of 3-4k miles, so that helps a little. I get that.

So here's the real question for those of you who do your own simple maintenance. How do you prove it's been done when it comes to making sure you're covered if a warranty issue arises. I know the Magnuson-Moss Act supposedly says the manufacturer can't force you to have maintenance done at the dealership, but the dealer could certainly make it inconvenient to get warranty or other work done if you haven't been bringing it in for regular shafting service.

Are receipts for oil and filters sufficient? That doesn't prove you did the work; just that you bought the supplies. Am I supposed to shoot video of myself doing an oil change and rotating tires?

Or is this just a "That's just the way things are, Bubby" situation? The price we pay for better technology and smarter vehicles.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New vehicle required maintenance
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 19, 2021 04:28PM
I spent many summers working in my dads brake/wheel/tire shops, I could prob do most of the work...

however... Oil filter for my car is $23, even on the web. 5 quarts oil, $25, but mine takes 6... just had it done over the weekend for $75... $25 in labor. Which includes removing a lower engine cover.. Im Ok wth that =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2021 04:32PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 19, 2021 05:14PM
My new truck is $59.99 for the oil change and tire rotation with genuine GM products ( 6 qt, full synthetic) at the dealership.

You need to find a new dealer at those prices. Both the oil change and tire rotation are way over priced. You also don't need to balance the wheels when they are rotated. That is just a rip off.

Are you driving a luxury vehicle?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 19, 2021 05:19PM
>How do you prove it's been done when it comes to making sure you're covered if a warranty issue arises.

Keep a log, keep receipts, maybe snap a pic or two. It might seem like flimsy evidence but I suspect its so infrequently done that they just drop all pushback when it is.

Date: July 19, 2021 05:25PM
C(-)ris
My new truck is $59.99 for the oil change and tire rotation with genuine GM products ( 6 qt, full synthetic) at the dealership.

You need to find a new dealer at those prices. Both the oil change and tire rotation are way over priced. You also don't need to balance the wheels when they are rotated. That is just a rip off.

Are you driving a luxury vehicle?

Far from a luxury vehicle. I wholeheartedly agree that balance not needed with rotation. I'm sure i can get it done without. I was just remarking at the price of the "specials". Will definitely check other dealers, though this one is most convenient. Hell, if i could find $60 for an oil change and rotation, I wouldn't have wasted all our time by posting. smiling smiley

-edit-

In fact, I did just find a coupon special at the first dealer I went to (which didn't have the Trim/color I wanted).

Only $59.95
Lube, Oil, Filter and Rotation
Some models slightly higher
Includes FREE Car Wash!

No mention of whether it's synthetic or not, but I'll find out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2021 05:29PM by wurm.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 19, 2021 05:46PM
That seems like more than a basic tire rotation charge. My guess is that they're up-selling you with some bundled services that they haven't explained properly.

...You don't have to do a full maintenance routine.

If the maintenance logbook calls for an oil change and tire rotation, demand just an oil change and tire rotation rather than "full" or bundled services.

And if that's still priced outrageously high, ask them to give you a better price or get on their website and look for service-coupons. These things are negotiable.

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 19, 2021 06:14PM
how long and how many miles is the warranty?

oil change is required 10k miles or 12 months, so do the first 2 during the warranty period, then after the warranty expires you can do your own.
Posted by: rz
Date: July 19, 2021 06:35PM
Full synthetic oil change for my Odyssey at a dealer's "Express" location is, I think, $59. I think it had been $49, but went up this year. One time I took it in and when I went to pick it up, they said there was no charge!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 19, 2021 06:47PM
You don’t need to prove a single thing was done to make a warranty claim. They’ll look for physical abuse that indicates the thing broke for reasons unrelated to a failing part but that’s it. No one is going to send off a sample of the oil to determine how frequently it was changed or whatever.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 19, 2021 06:48PM
I usually do my own but my two newer cars are heavy with poor places to jack and my ramps are too steep to keep from hitting the front spoiler. So I take it to a place with a pit and supply my own preferred oil and filter. They change it for $25. And I have a nice record albeit not of any use on my out-of-warranty vehicles. I don’t think I’ve ever rotated tires.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2021 06:49PM by Speedy.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 19, 2021 06:56PM
$25 isn’t bad these days if the filter they use is good. I’ve never been an oil snob but I do pay attention to filters, especially now that vehicles are spec’d as going longer between changes.

When my old metal ramps starting hitting my lower-slung vehicles I located purpose-built ramps for the ramps.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 19, 2021 07:02PM
I change my oil from the top with an oil extractor. Very nice if your vehicle supports it. I can do it in about the same amount of time it would take me to pay someone.
Date: July 19, 2021 07:14PM
I know I only have to do what I have to do. And that's all I plan on doing. I was just commenting on how expensive this particular service coupon is. In addition, there's clearly a difference between "Required maintenance" and "Recommended Maintenance". I know they don't call them stealerships for nothing.

Warranty on the Kia is 5 years 60k miles bumper to bumper, except for wear and tear items, obviously. 10 yr 100k mile on powertrain, which the dealer extends to lifetime, such as that is.

Unless I end up absolutely hating it in a few years, I'm figuring this will be the last vehicle I ever buy. Of course, I thought the Prius would be, too. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2021 07:16PM by wurm.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 19, 2021 07:15PM
You don't need to have standard maintenance tasks performed by a dealer to maintain your warranty. Find a mechanic you like/trust and maintain meticulous records of all maintenance work performed and you'll be fine.

It is what it is.
Date: July 19, 2021 07:17PM
N-OS X-tasy!
You don't need to have standard maintenance tasks performed by a dealer to maintain your warranty. Find a mechanic you like/trust and maintain meticulous records of all maintenance work performed and you'll be fine.

Yes, that's what I'm looking into as well. Thanks.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 19, 2021 07:19PM
Kia was originally a "buy here, pay here" dealership staple. That has obviously changed in the last 10 or so years, but I can't help but wonder if this dealership was one of that type previously. Those "coupons" are criminal, especially for a KIA. They might be a good deal at a Ferrari dealer.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 20, 2021 12:37AM
OEM filter for my 2018 Toyota Prius was <$7. I'll have a trusted mechanic do the work as well as rotate the tires. Total cost will be WELL under $100. I won't have to crawl under my low to the ground vehicle, collect the old oil (and find someplace to recycle it) or repearedly jack my Prius up & down. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned. Said mechanic will note service in my vehicle's log book and, I'll keep the receipts for the items I supplied. Easy peasy! boink smiley
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 20, 2021 07:26AM
Those prices from Kia are high. Around here, the local Hyundai charges $39.95 for a synthetic oil and filter change.

Before getting your car serviced, I would check on the requirements for the lifetime service thru your dealer. They may require to get all service done on the vehicle to be done at that dealer to qualify.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 20, 2021 07:54AM
mattkime
I change my oil from the top with an oil extractor. Very nice if your vehicle supports it. I can do it in about the same amount of time it would take me to pay someone.

You need to confirm that your engine supports the use of an extractor before attempting. With some engines it may cause damage.

Oil from a dealer or garage should, in theory, cost less as they buy in bulk drums and large quantities.
Date: July 20, 2021 08:42AM
Forrest
Those prices from Kia are high. Around here, the local Hyundai charges $39.95 for a synthetic oil and filter change.

Yeah, I'll say. I already found another KIA dealer a little further away that does an oil change and tire rotation for $59.99. Local dealer may match, but I kind of doubt it. Interval is 7500 miles, so I have a little time to figure out what to do as I'm only at about 250 miles now.

Forrest
Before getting your car serviced, I would check on the requirements for the lifetime service thru your dealer. They may require to get all service done on the vehicle to be done at that dealer to qualify.

First thing I checked. At least that's not a requirement. Frankly, they just extended KIA's 10 year powertrain warranty to lifetime. In typical fashion, there are so many exclusions for "wear and tear" that it's almost irrelevant anyway.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 20, 2021 02:23PM
macphanatic
You need to confirm that your engine supports the use of an extractor before attempting. With some engines it may cause damage.

How so? I have a third vehicle with a skid plate underneath and I use an extractor. I don’t see how it can damage the engine. It goes down the same tube as the dip stick which surely doesn’t damage anything. I also have an up-top filter housing and the extractor pulls a lot of oil out of that.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 20, 2021 04:05PM
Speedy
macphanatic

How so? I have a third vehicle with a skid plate underneath and I use an extractor. I don’t see how it can damage the engine. It goes down the same tube as the dip stick which surely doesn’t damage anything. I also have an up-top filter housing and the extractor pulls a lot of oil out of that.

Some vehicles have a check valve or similar in the dipstick or at the oil pan. I forget which make/engine type, but I read about it a few years ago. The dipstick pushing past it isn't an issue but the plastic pickup tube is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 21, 2021 11:18AM
How do you prove it's been done when it comes to making sure you're covered if a warranty issue arises.

Most oil change places and my local mechanics put a sticker in the window with the date and mileage, not to mention a work order.

While my car was under warranty, I kept the sticker and work orders.

When my previous car was under warranty, and I did the oil and other maintains items (plugs, air filter, transmission fluid, etc) myself I kept the receipts of the items purchased.

I never needed to use them, so I don't know if they'd have sufficed.

Ah, the days of changing the oil every 3,000mi and the filter every other change...

I run 100% synthetic in my bike and change both oil and filter every 10,000mi.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020