Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 20, 2021 10:10AM
July 20, 1969: One Giant Leap For Mankind

Today is Moon Day!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: July 20, 1969: One Giant Leap For Mankind
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 20, 2021 10:14AM
At 10:56 p.m. EDT Armstrong is ready to plant the first human foot on another world. With more than half a billion people watching on television, he climbs down the ladder and proclaims: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

Aldrin joins him shortly, and offers a simple but powerful description of the lunar surface: "magnificent desolation." They explore the surface for two and a half hours, collecting samples and taking photographs.

They leave behind an American flag, a patch honoring the fallen Apollo 1 crew, and a plaque on one of Eagle's legs. It reads, "Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the moon. July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all mankind."
Posted by: DP
Date: July 20, 2021 11:09AM
Today is Moon Day!

Be careful, there! You're handing it right to Newt!

I remember it like it was yesterday...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 20, 2021 11:27AM
I was eleven. We we're allowed to stay up late to watch. So much excitement!!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 20, 2021 12:39PM
Neil deGrasse Tyson @neiltyson
·
Oct 18, 2020
Rumor has it that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin agreed to fake the Moon landinig. But to make the footage look as authentic as possible, they urged NASA to film it on-location. And NASA agreed.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 20, 2021 03:39PM
Rick-o
I was eleven. We we're allowed to stay up late to watch. So much excitement!!

I was 15 and staying at my Aunt's house in England at the time. She was browbeating my brother and I to go to bed (the moonwalk happened at about 3 am there) but we refused, screaming "But auntie, it's history happening!" So glad I got to watch it live. It has been the most exciting event to occur during my life so far.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 20, 2021 05:01PM
My flight to Vietnam had been called but I was watching a tiny B&W TV someone had set up on a counter pleading with them to get started down those steps. Saw the foot go down and ran to get in the back of the line (which guaranteed a middle seat for the first leg of the long flight(s).

Climbed aboard an Orange Braniff stretch jet to fly into a war zone. (In fact we changed planes at least twice; I don't remember what we flew into Tan San Nhut.)
Posted by: raz
Date: July 20, 2021 06:33PM
At summer camp, 50 miles or so north of NYC. The black&white picture was mostly static.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Bizz-Ry
Date: July 20, 2021 09:25PM
Follow along “live”! About 24 minutes before the first step!

[apolloinrealtime.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 426
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020