advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are the iFixit tutorials a good place to see what it takes to replace a screen assembly?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 20, 2021 11:35AM
Dear daughter smacked the screen on a 2017? MBP while wearing a ring and the the display is now all completely whacked out.

M1708 EMC 2978
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are the iFixit tutorials a good place to see what it takes to replace a screen assembly?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 20, 2021 11:37AM
Yes. Although do you have a lead on a replacement screen? They can be cost prohibitive to replace...
Re: Are the iFixit tutorials a good place to see what it takes to replace a screen assembly?
Posted by: clay
Date: July 20, 2021 11:46AM
Gareth
Yes. Although do you have a lead on a replacement screen? They can be cost prohibitive to replace...

a water-damaged or otherwise dead machine can sometimes be a good donor for a project like this. You might find something on eBay for less than a guaranteed replacement part. Of course, more uncertainty.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 20, 2021 02:57PM
I go to owc and ifixit first for install videos, but I will also do a search on youtube. Although I like the owc and ifixit videos very much, they will always miss some minor detail. WHen doing a job for the first time, I will look at EVERY video I can find before I launch into it.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 20, 2021 05:01PM
You won't be able to replace the panel itself, but if you can find the screen assembly it won't be too bad. ifixit usually has good tutorials.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 21, 2021 04:01PM
Panel vs screen assembly means what?

I figured someone would have a dead machine with a good “screen” that could just be swapped over?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 24, 2021 11:44AM
deckeda
Panel vs screen assembly means what?

Assembly means the entire display with casing, wires, etc.

Panel literally means just the LCD panel itself. In the "old" (pre-retina) days, it was possible to just replace the panel (i.e. I swapped a "glossy" LCD panel for "matte" on the 2008 MBP). But now everything is glued/fused together with the glass, it's basically impossible to do that.

deckeda
I figured someone would have a dead machine with a good “screen” that could just be swapped over?

Yes. It's just a question of finding that cheap enough to be worth it. The cheapest machines are going to be liquid damaged, so you'll have no way to test it without doing the actual swap, so you're hoping the display didn't get damaged. It seems unlikely, but when I had a bad display, on an otherwise fine working machine, the first question Apple asked me is if it had liquid damage, which has always made me wonder if that can damage the display (i.e. from a short or surge). And, since any liquid damaged machine is going to be sold for parts (on eBay), there won't be any returns if the display is broken, and they still seem to be expensive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 397
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020