Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U: No go using same drive for CCC and TM on Big Sur
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 20, 2021 11:38AM
[forums.macresource.com]

I've tried at least 10 different ways, and I cannot get both Time Machine to use the same hardware AND CCC for a bootable division or partition on an external hard drive under Big Sur. This was all using the latest v5 of CCC (I realize I could try CCC6 next).

In the end, I have two partitions - one for Time Machine, one for CCC to backup my data. I think this is ok, as I would not be running this M1 Mini off an external spinny disk anyway.

Thought I'd post in case someone else is trying to get this to work - and if they do, please post their workflow. In the end, I wiped the external drive and had Time Machine start. I tried having CCC add a new division, did not work. I tried manually splitting the APFS drive. Did not work. I made a separate partition, that did not work. I left the two partitions in place and went with data-only CCC backups. This might have worked as a single partition, however. But I ran out of time on this project and just wanted a working solution.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 11:39AM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U: No go using same drive for CCC and TM on Big Sur
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 20, 2021 12:07PM
Interesting.

I havent seen it... although if my memory serves almost all of my clients drives were created pre Bug Sur... carry overs from older OSes.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 20, 2021 01:28PM
So are you saying as long as you are not trying to make a bootable partition on the Time Machine HD with A Time Machine partition, that you can have 2 partitions, 1 for Time Machine, and 1 for IMAGE backups for CCC?

IS that good to go?

And Format 2 separate partitions APFS??

thanks
Date: July 20, 2021 01:54PM
Microman
So are you saying as long as you are not trying to make a bootable partition on the Time Machine HD with A Time Machine partition, that you can have 2 partitions, 1 for Time Machine, and 1 for IMAGE backups for CCC?

IS that good to go?

And Format 2 separate partitions APFS??

thanks

Yes, that is correct. 2 partitions, both APFS. Data on one via CCC, TM on the other.

The issue that I've run into is having CCC make it a bootable backup using this setup. Note - I WAS able to make what CCC said was a bootable backup using the same drive but was not able to THEN add Time Machine backups. Time Machine would not recognize the drive as an option.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 20, 2021 06:14PM
Did you boot into Recovery mode and lower the Startup Security?

sekker
[forums.macresource.com]

I've tried at least 10 different ways, and I cannot get both Time Machine to use the same hardware AND CCC for a bootable division or partition on an external hard drive under Big Sur. This was all using the latest v5 of CCC (I realize I could try CCC6 next).

In the end, I have two partitions - one for Time Machine, one for CCC to backup my data. I think this is ok, as I would not be running this M1 Mini off an external spinny disk anyway.

Thought I'd post in case someone else is trying to get this to work - and if they do, please post their workflow. In the end, I wiped the external drive and had Time Machine start. I tried having CCC add a new division, did not work. I tried manually splitting the APFS drive. Did not work. I made a separate partition, that did not work. I left the two partitions in place and went with data-only CCC backups. This might have worked as a single partition, however. But I ran out of time on this project and just wanted a working solution.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 20, 2021 06:44PM
Wait a sec.

It's a M1 mini.

Did you say "bootable" before?

CCC will only clone the "Data" vol from a Big Sur Mac by default.

You can override this to make bootable backups from M1 Macs with the latest versions of CCC 5 and 6, but it's tricky. CCC will make the boot vol, but M1s are finicky about what kind of hardware they'll boot from. In most cases this operation will require an external Thunderbolt 3 SSD. (And you have to enable booting to externals in Recovery.)

You can easily use CCC to back up the "Data" vol from your Mac (the volume that contains your home folder) and later recover from that backup in a pinch. This is the main utility of CCC on a M1 Mac for those who don't have external/network drives to back up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 06:44PM by Sarcany.
Date: July 21, 2021 12:19AM
Sarcany, that’s a great explanation. Nothing is listed specifically in CCC when it fails, so data backup it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 390
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020