advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another "It can't be just me" rant. (lug nut sizes)
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 20, 2021 05:12PM
Figured I might as well try to make the forum look busier than it might otherwise, so here we go...

I consider myself fairly intelligent and am fairly confident in my Google fu, but I've spent way too much time in the past hour or so looking for what I would think would be a very simple answer to a simple question.

I'm moving a few tools from what came out of my old car into my new. Among them is my breaker bar with socket for when I (used to) change my wheels. Different sized socket. That's fine and not unexpected. But I'll be damned if I can find ANYWHERE what sized socket I need for the new vehicle. Granted, they want me to just use the tire wrench that came with the car, but that's beside the point. Any cross-reference I've found tells me the bolt size and thread, but not the size of the lug nuts themselves. Yes, of course I tried the ones I already own, but my 19mm is too small but it's the biggest I have. My 13/16 SAE is also too small. My 15/16 is too big. Nothing in the manual. Nothing when I google. I had to go to a conversion chart and discover that it's probably 21mm.

I was going to just order it online from Amazon if I knew for sure the right one. Instead I'll end up going to Harbor Freight tomorrow and bring a damn lug nut with me to be sure.

I know, not a huge deal, but you'd think that info would be simple enough to find.

[/rant]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another "It can't be just me" rant. (lug nut sizes)
Posted by: hal
Date: July 20, 2021 05:36PM
me: hey siri, how many mms is 15/16 of an inch?

siri: 15/16 inches is equivelent to 23.8mm

13/16" is 20.64mm
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 20, 2021 05:40PM
My 13/16 SAE is also too small. My 15/16 is too big.

have you tried 14/16 = 7/8 " or 22 mm?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 20, 2021 06:06PM
You want the lug nut head size when searching. Not sure what make/model you have but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 20, 2021 06:07PM
AAA might be right up your alley.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 20, 2021 06:16PM
C(-)ris
You want the lug nut head size when searching. Not sure what make/model you have but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Yes, that's the info I was searching for...to no avail. 2022 KIA Seltos. You're welcome to try.

space-time

As mentioned, 19mm is the biggest metric I have. Don't have a 7/8.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 20, 2021 06:19PM
I wonder what the dealer service department would tell you?

I wonder what your local tire dealer would use?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 20, 2021 06:40PM
This is one of may reasons I have an inexpensive pair of digital calipers.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 20, 2021 06:44PM
[www.wheel-size.com]

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you need a metric socket. Verify first but I suspect this would be good for you - [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 20, 2021 06:46PM
wurm
C(-)ris

Yes, that's the info I was searching for...to no avail. 2022 KIA Seltos. You're welcome to try.

space-time

As mentioned, 19mm is the biggest metric I have. Don't have a 7/8.

Sorry that I tried to actually answer your question.

But I'll be damned if I can find ANYWHERE what sized socket I need for the new vehicle.
Oh, and...
Date: July 20, 2021 06:47PM
I think s-t got it: 22mm for an M14 stud.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Re: Oh, and...
Date: July 20, 2021 07:17PM
RAMd®d

Well, the only info I did find referenced a M12 stud.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 20, 2021 07:25PM
RAMd®d

I'm seeing 21MM listed for all replacement lug nuts for that model. No guarantee that is what the OEM size is...but it is usually a good indication.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 20, 2021 07:27PM
Maybe the issue is that it's a 2022 and it's too new...

This says "Wheel Nut M12-1.50 Acorn - 21mm [Socket] Hex" for a 2021: [www.dormanproducts.com]
Date: July 20, 2021 07:28PM
C(-)ris
RAMd®d

I'm seeing 21MM listed for all replacement lug nuts for that model. No guarantee that is what the OEM size is...but it is usually a good indication.

Just curious where you found that, C(-)ris. I think you're right.
Date: July 20, 2021 07:30PM
Gareth
Maybe the issue is that it's a 2022 and it's too new...

This says "Wheel Nut M12-1.50 Acorn - 21mm [Socket] Hex" for a 2021: [www.dormanproducts.com]

And I just now saw that same search result a few minutes ago. Thanks. Model year really didn't change much.
Date: July 20, 2021 07:32PM
Well, the only info I did find referenced a M12 stud.

I found one reference that said M14 for all the Kias except a 2022.

All the other sources I've found only show up to 2021, or 2019... (and on, I presume).

I'll try to find it again, but no promises.

For an M12 stud, you'd need a 19mm lug wrench.

13/16" is 20.6mm, and it doesn't seem likely, even for manufacturing tolerances, that a 19mm wrench would work if 13/16 is too small.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: July 20, 2021 07:35PM
Thanks for all your comments and help.

But I guess I wasn't making my point clearly. I wasn't really looking to you for the actual answer. I know I can figure it out, even if it's by doing metric conversions or by trial and error.

I was just commenting on how difficult it seems to be to find what I would think would be a simple answer. I would have thought it might be in the owner's manual. I would think Google would have a straightforward search result for the question. I didn't think I'd have to try and experiment with different sizes. I don't believe I should have to call the dealer for that simple piece of information. That's why I referred to it as a rant.

And tomorrow I'm off to Harbor Freight for a 21mm socket. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 07:38PM by wurm.
Date: July 20, 2021 07:45PM
Ok, then.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 07:47PM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 20, 2021 07:47PM
yeah, its odd.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 20, 2021 08:21PM
I get a Harbor Freight $10 1/2" breaker bar (25" length) and the appropriate deep socket, also from Harbor Freight, and that stays in the trunk of each vehicle. Lug wrenches these days are crap.

If you can't break free a lug nut or bolt with a 25" lever arm, call AAA.

I used to use an 18" bar when I was young and dumb, now I use physics, and that extra 7". The deep socket eliminates using an extension on the socket to clear the dished rim and center hub.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 20, 2021 08:46PM
.....some prefer larger nuts......others smaller nuts......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 20, 2021 09:05PM
NewtonMP2100
.....some prefer larger nuts......others smaller nuts......

Some have a lot of nuts, others few.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 20, 2021 09:06PM
.....sometimes you feel like a nut.....sometimes you don't......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 21, 2021 12:09AM
Racer X
I get a Harbor Freight $10 1/2" breaker bar (25" length) and the appropriate deep socket, also from Harbor Freight, and that stays in the trunk of each vehicle. Lug wrenches these days are crap.

I used to use an 18" bar when I was young and dumb, now I use physics, and that extra 7". The deep socket eliminates using an extension on the socket to clear the dished rim and center hub.

^ This.

What was really fun was the lug nuts that weren't themselves chromed but instead had molded stainless steel caps on them to look shiny. These were common on US cars from the 80s and 90s. When the cap fell off as they all eventually did, the remaining lug nut was 1 millimeter smaller than the standard size, so 19mm became 18, 21mm became 20, and using the standard sized socket on the now-smaller lugs would usually just round them off instead of loosening them.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes
Date: July 21, 2021 12:13AM
The factory Buick Rally wheels used those stainless capped lug nuts. Work great until the owner had to use the crappy lug wrench/jack handle/attitude adjuster.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 21, 2021 09:44AM
I second the notion for the Harbor Freight breaker bar along with one of their cheap socket/tool sets. I also use this, because it gives me ALL the sizes I need in one package.

[www.harborfreight.com]
Date: July 21, 2021 10:41AM
Breaker bar was one of the first things I ever bought from Harbor Freight, years ago, along with a couple of torque wrenches.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 21, 2021 11:43AM
Racer X

I did the same.

I put anti-seize on the rotor hubs to make it easier to remove the wheel from the rotor. Aluminum hubs like to weld themselves to steel rotors. Doesn't do any good to get the lug nuts off and not be able to remove the wheel. I have loosed lug nuts and put the vehicle weight partially on the wheel to break them free in order to rotate the wheels but anti-seize makes it so much easier. Just make sure to not put the anti-seize on the lugs.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: July 21, 2021 02:39PM
It's probably Metric.

My current pet peeve is working on a car with some Metric and some SAE bolts and nuts. You'd think the manufacturers would choose one or the other. Nope.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 21, 2021 04:17PM
This is the sort of info I go to vehicle-specific forums for because it’s a little like asking the manufacturer to describe their lug wrench to you: All they’re gonna say is it’s for removing the lug nut.

Caps on lug nuts: misery and despair. I’ve ruined my share because the cap only lasts for a few operations before rounding off and then getting stuck in the socket or lug wrench.

My “favorite” is the GM black plastic cap that threads onto the dedicated lug nut for the trucks. In this case it’s the same size socket however you literally have to remove them separately. Our 8-lug C3500 effectively has 32 “lug nuts” to remove altogether. Tire rotations are an event.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 22, 2021 12:09AM
zachdog
It's probably Metric.

My current pet peeve is working on a car with some Metric and some SAE bolts and nuts. You'd think the manufacturers would choose one or the other. Nope.
They started switching over in the late 70s with new engines or chassis being all metric from introduction, but some legacy stuff stayed standard until it was either comprehensively updated or discontinued. From their perspective, why bother changing something that's already on it's way out and will only be in production for a few more years?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020