advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tesla says to CHARGE it.......
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 20, 2021 09:20PM
Tesla plans to open its charging network to other makes of electric vehicles later this year. The company has more than 25,000 superchargers throughout the world, all will open to other EV's later this year.

[www.yahoo.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tesla says to CHARGE it.......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 20, 2021 09:32PM
....but who will be in......charge......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2021 09:37PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 20, 2021 09:57PM
... Dealing a death blow to the potential anti-trust lawsuit based on their "monopoly" on charging stations.
Rug officially yanked out from under the SEC/DOJ.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 20, 2021 10:05PM
Paul F.
... Dealing a death blow to the potential anti-trust lawsuit based on their "monopoly" on charging stations.

It’s incredible to think that anyone would have a problem with any perceived de facto monopoly on charging stations, considering Tesla called for national standards and all the other OEMs to go in on a universal charging solution. Everyone, including the feds, just ignored them, so they went on to create their own network.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 20, 2021 10:38PM
Carnos Jax
Paul F.

It’s incredible to think that anyone would have a problem with any perceived de facto monopoly on charging stations, considering Tesla called for national standards and all the other OEMs to go in on a universal charging solution. Everyone, including the feds, just ignored them, so they went on to create their own network.

Yup.... And yet, there were calls from some congresscritters last year to "break up the Tesla Monopoly" because they "controlled the charging infrastructure"... Idiots.

On the rational side of things; if Tesla gets to charge a reasonable rate for charging, they're going to have a nice revenue stream from their competition.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 20, 2021 11:55PM
Revenue could be in the billions. I think that they’ll charge other vehicle makes a premium and subsidize charging for Teslas.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 21, 2021 12:41AM
Of course, they'll follow in Apple's footsteps and switch everything to a proprietary connector no one has ever seen.
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 21, 2021 05:11AM
Cost? Per charge
Posted by: qdog2
Date: July 21, 2021 07:28AM
MikeF
Of course, they'll follow in Apple's footsteps and switch everything to a proprietary connector no one has ever seen.

Tesla's connector is a proprietary connector. All other makers use CCS, j1772, or chademo.

Portsmouth, Va
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 21, 2021 07:35AM
Good. Allowing for cars that don’t use the other proprietary connector will really come in handy. Would make traveling in my car a lot easier.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 21, 2021 08:07AM
So do we have to carry plug adapters in our frunks or will thy install multiple plugs on their super chargers?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 21, 2021 08:25AM
space-time
So do we have to carry plug adapters in our frunks or will thy install multiple plugs on their super chargers?

Improvise...adapt...overcome!

(and carry a fire extinguisher)
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 21, 2021 08:52AM
space-time

In the US - Yes, and No. At least, right now.

I do not like where this is going in the 48 states, I want a simple way to charge my EVs and do not want to have to worry I have the 'right' adapter. There is a real history here, where Tesla was being excoriated by Big Oil etc and so had to go it alone.

But we are in a new era. Does anyone know how we settled on the 'standard' used to connect to fill our cars with gas or diesel? Seems to me we need the same process used here.

In Europe, Tesla is going with the EU standard, I believe. But they've been far more welcoming to Tesla that many political units in the US.
Date: July 21, 2021 08:53AM
By the way, the Tesla port is far superior to the port used on our 2017 Volt. Very easy to use, and instantly tells me at the connector when it's successfully plugged in. I sure hope whatever standard we settle on uses something along these lines.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 21, 2021 09:38AM
space-time

Teslas already come with adapters for non-Tesla chargers, why shouldn’t the reverse be expected?

You want to use a Tesla Supercharger? Carry an adapter for it.
Posted by: d4
Date: July 21, 2021 10:02AM
Tesla recognizes the fact that competing electric car manufacturers are not their enemy. In fact, let's open a Tesla factory in China — NIO's backyard. The defacto bootleg capital of the world. The real Tesla competitor and hurdle is the gasoline car industry and Big Oil.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 21, 2021 10:37AM
Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. ... Tesla believes the faster the world stops relying on fossil fuels and moves towards a zero-emission future, the better.

They've offered up their patents...no one has used them.
They've offered up their chargers...until now, no one has used them.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 21, 2021 11:39AM
Paul F.
Yup.... And yet, there were calls from some congresscritters last year to "break up the Tesla Monopoly" because they "controlled the charging infrastructure"... Idiots.

What else would anyone expect of Congress? They haven't cared about what is best for the country in decades. Most of them start with great intentions but get sucked in by the rest, wind up getting wealthy at the cost of the rest of us.
Date: July 21, 2021 04:29PM
ztirffritz

Do you have more details on this?

And what would be different this time?
Date: July 21, 2021 06:54PM
space-time
ztirffritz

Currently Tesla's Superchargers know what specific car has been hooked up. It must be a Tesla to work.
Date: July 21, 2021 07:06PM
space-time
ztirffritz

You might benefit from exploring the history of Tesla. They have been open to partnerships. But no one tried to work with them until they became a profitable company (i.e. when all of the financial risk is over). In such circumstances, it's easy to be sympathetic to them if they were to blow raspberries at the likes of Ford who suddenly realize that making EVs is more than just making a good car - they need the infrastructure too.
Date: July 21, 2021 08:48PM
Actually I know a thing or two about Tesla and Elon Musk. I read his biography and I work for a company developing autonomous driving systems.

OK so they offered their chargers but no one wanted to use them. Why? this has little to do with the financial situation of the company. what would GM, Ford or VW have to lose if they decided to use the same plugs and let their customers use Tesla chargers? nothing.

Tesla plans to open its charging network to other makes of electric vehicles later this year.

My question is what is different this time? why did other automakers pass them back then and why would they accept the offer now? is is the higher number fo chargers? is it the fact that other manufacturers stared to take EV seriously?

My worry is that the same old politics is still there and we will continue to have a fragmented EV Charing system for years to come.

The enology with the gas pumps is not that good. for practical reasons, the nozzle is round. The only question is the diameter. And even then, you can always build a larger cap to accept pretty much a wide range of nozzle diameters.
Date: July 22, 2021 12:32AM
Ford, GM and others wanted Tesla to fail. They offered nothing to help. If they had wanted to build an EV future together with Tesla, all they needed to do was work with Tesla. But no way from their oil exec pals.

I think it would be worth your time digging deeper than a Musk biography. Just my thoughts as I have followed from the beginning. Musk is only a part of the story. Short sellers are another key component too.

As for gas nozzles, the length matters too. All gas tanks need to work safely. Still a connector that would have been less safe if not a universal standard.
Date: July 22, 2021 08:05AM
space-time
The enology with the gas pumps is not that good.

Well I would expect so!

Don't drink and drive!

devil smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020