advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Alternative to Time Machine?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 21, 2021 11:01AM
All this time, I've been running out of space VERY quickly on my stupid TM backup. I've checked and rechecked that I am NOT backing up an external drive that houses my Parallels virtual disk. And every time, despite my remembering I did exclude it, there it is. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. So I thought it was my fault, and not remembering to exclude it.

No wonder my backup fills up so fast, it's backing up a 500gb file every time. But that's not the best part. And this is SO STUPID.

I went to TM after the most recent out of space error. Clicked options. Sure enough. There's my external. The same external I've excluded I don't know how many times. Here's the trick. TM DOES NOT REMEMBER. What the actual @#$%& Apple??? My parallels drive is disconnected at the end of every day and reconnected in the AM. Mother @#$%& TM has been adding that drive back every day! It doesn't remember I've excluded it. Which makes zero sense. If I want to exclude an @#$%& external drive, I don't want to INCLUDE it the next day. How stupid.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Alternative to Time Machine?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 21, 2021 11:44AM
CCC or SD
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 21, 2021 12:07PM
If you're buying something, buy CCC.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 21, 2021 12:19PM
Apple is paying no attention to Time Machine.

You can set CCC to do regular backups.

Alternatively, keep files in a cloud account.
Date: July 21, 2021 12:35PM
I already use CCC to clone my drive. Can CCC do versioning? Thats what I want. I want something to mimic TM so that I can go back to a version I did a few weeks ago if needed.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 21, 2021 12:46PM
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 21, 2021 12:52PM
CCC here too. I gave up on TM a few years back.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 21, 2021 01:25PM
CCC does it, but you wont like how it works. I use the TM restore function at least once every couple of months, so yeah, its handy.

I moved to CCC and its snapshots/safetynet awile back-- I suppose it works fine, but navigating them or it was confusing as all get out to me.

I kept my CCC backups, but after a few months of using it, just broke down and added another drive to my chain and made it a TM backup. So might have have triple redundant hard backups now, but meh.

I never disconnect drives, so cant address your specific situation... Perhaps TM helper software would give you more functionality?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 21, 2021 01:57PM
there is no perfect replacement for TM - there is nothing that does the spacy look back into time thing, but if you want a back up that can pull and recover past states, I'd go with CCC, but it requires some learning - especially if you want to to use like TM - you'll need to master it. TM is braindead simple to use. You might consider completely wiping your backup and redoing it from scratch so that it works properly.
Date: July 21, 2021 02:26PM
I'm running CCC right now. We'll see. I'm not married to the TM UI. It's fancy shmancy I guess but I'd prefer it actually work the way it should. Unfortunately, I have an external that is mounted and unmounted daily, and there is just no way I will remember to go into TM options and exclude that drive, every single day. And I shouldn't have to. But apparently I do according to Apple.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 21, 2021 03:08PM
....flux.....capacitor....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 21, 2021 03:43PM
Maybe try excluding the parent folder for it instead of the VM.

Or try the Terminal instead of the GUI:
[computers.tutsplus.com]

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 22, 2021 07:54PM
I never had any luck with the spacey TM view in my multi-display setup. It was always blocked by a large black box. I'd really rather they just did some data/timeline review I could click on without all the schmaltz.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020