advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wireless thermostats linked to baseboard heaters?
Posted by: davec
Date: July 21, 2021 01:09PM
Are there wireless thermostats for baseboard heaters that are currently wired individually and not linked together as a single heating unit? Currently, the only control for these heaters is the simple dial thermostat control that is on each baseboard heater itself.

I am not intending to control the thermostats through a wireless network (like a NEST thermostat). I am hoping there is a way to have a wireless connection between the baseboard heaters and the thermostats that could be mounted on the wall.

My finance' has a 2 1/2 story log "cabin" at a lake. Up to this point the cabin has been used primarily during late spring, summer and early fall. We like to use it for more of the year. The cabin is a log home, which would add to difficulty in using thermostats which require wires running through walls. As mentioned, currently there are simple baseboard heaters mounted on walls. The only control is the simple thermostat dial that is on the baseboard heater itself. Trying to get the indoor temperature at a consistent level is tough with the current controls. My hope is that having true thermostats, mounted on the walls would help keep the cabin at a safe (above freezing) temperature when we are not there and at a more comfortable level when we are there.

I have some basic electrical wiring experience, having wired outlets and lights in my parent's basement, but realize I have zero experience with heating systems. I'd like to tackle the job myself, but realizing my limited skill set with heating systems, would considering hiring professionals.

Is it possible to use the existing baseboard heaters and have those (at least some of the heaters) controlled by wireless thermostats?

I'm really showing my ignorance here...I did a Google search, but didn't find any information that was helpful. I do appreciate your helpful advice and input!

Thanks!
Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 01:10PM by davec.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wireless thermostats linked to baseboard heaters?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 21, 2021 02:15PM
Observations and questions:
Is Wifi available for smart devices ?
Do you want smart devices ?
120VAC baseboard heaters with built in thermostats on the heaters ?
Are baseboard heaters wired into a common circuit ?
How is the house wired ? Holes through the logs ? Conduit to the ceiling and then along the rafters ?
How many baseboard heaters are there ?

Honestly a pro may be your best bt.
Date: July 21, 2021 03:05PM
cbelt3- thank you!

There is not wifi in the cabin. No ISP (that I am aware of) in that area of NE corner of SD. Not sure that Kris or I would really want internet and wifi. There is something good about being up there and being off the grid.

Yes, 99% certain the baseboard heaters mounted on the walls are 120V AC. The only controls are the basic (unnumbered) dial thermostats. When I looked at the breaker box it appeared that the heaters are on the circuit for the individual room where they are located. There are five bedrooms each with their own baseboard heater. Each of the two bathrooms has its own separate baseboard heater. The family room has two baseboard heaters together on the same circuit, but each with their own dial control. The main room (living room/dining room/kitchen) has two baseboard heaters, which I believe are on the room's circuit, but each controlled by their own dial control. By my count there are 12 baseboard heaters.

When the house was constructed holes were bored through the logs to run the wiring. Holes were cut into the logs to set in place the outlet boxes and switch boxes.

cbelt- the more I think about it the more I realize that you are right about hiring a heating pro for the job. Somehow I (foolishly) thought there might be a fairly straightforward solution. Thank you!

Dave

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 21, 2021 03:12PM
This seems to be one of the preferred thermostats for electric baseboard heat. Apparently it can provide zone control as well. Mysa

Didn't read up on it's capabilities though.

You may need a local network though as it appears to be controllable by your phone/tablet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 03:14PM by macphanatic.
Date: July 21, 2021 03:16PM
macphanatic-thanks for your post and the link. Sadly, the Mysa thermostat does not work with baseboard heaters controlled by a dial on the heater itself. I do appreciate your post.

Thanks!
Dave

Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 21, 2021 06:42PM
Single loop temperture controller

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 06:42PM by Bernie.
Date: July 21, 2021 08:11PM
Bernie- thank you for your post. I do appreciate it and I will take a look at the information at the link you sent. I've come to the realization that I had an unrealistic hope that there might be thermostats that were battery powered that could connect wirelessly to a transmitter wired within the baseboard heater. Obviously, I am showing my complete lack of knowledge of heating systems. Discussing options with a pro will be something we will pursue. Thanks again for the responses! I do hope you have a truly good evening!

Dave

Date: July 21, 2021 08:26PM
davec
macphanatic-thanks for your post and the link. Sadly, the Mysa thermostat does not work with baseboard heaters controlled by a dial on the heater itself. I do appreciate your post.

Thanks!
Dave

I wonder if you can bypass the baseboard controller.
Date: July 21, 2021 10:42PM
macphanatic- definitely something I will look into. Thank you!

Dave

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 22, 2021 06:40PM
I think you want a remote controlled plug (or plugs for more baseboard heaters) and a wireless thermostat to control these. Maybe something like this (no experiences with this particular device though, YMMV)

[www.amazon.com]
Date: July 22, 2021 06:44PM
macphanatic
davec

Thanks!
Dave

I wonder if you can bypass the baseboard controller.

would think you turn the baseboard controller to the MAX so it is always ON and control the outlet from a wireless thermostat like the one I linked above.
Date: July 23, 2021 10:29AM
space-time
I think you want a remote controlled plug (or plugs for more baseboard heaters) and a wireless thermostat to control these. Maybe something like this (no experiences with this particular device though, YMMV)

[www.amazon.com]

I doubt that the baseboards are plug in type. They should be hardwired. Converting them to plug in type would not be advisable and may negate insurance coverage if they are the root cause of a fire.
Date: July 23, 2021 11:15PM
I was out of town for a couple of days. I do appreciate your posts. Space-time- a version of what you linked to is what I was hoping to find. The baseboard heaters are hardwired. Having a wireless receiver module hardwired into the baseboard unit would allow the use of the wireless thermostat you have listed. Macphanatic- I agree that I would want to keep the baseboard heaters hardwired. Thanks for your posts!,

Dave

Date: July 24, 2021 08:14AM
Sorry, I didn't realize these were hard wired....

a friend installed a wall radiator that he plugged in. for that type of configuration that unit linked above would be ideal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020