advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: on Formatting an External Drive for Time Machine and Another Portion for Data
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 21, 2021 01:57PM
FU: [forums.macresource.com]

I talked with Apple, and she sent me two links, one of which is the BEST.

For those using Big Sur, and the APFS default for its file system, and Time Machine External will be made to be APFS, She sent me this link, which seems to state, that you don't make two partitions, but actually make two volumes inside the one APFS partition.

Will have to see how this works out. So I may just have my daughter, go thru the link, and adjust the volume to 3 TB and 2 TB, and see how that works

[support.apple.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: on Formatting an External Drive for Time Machine and Another Portion for Data
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 21, 2021 03:34PM
If you simply make two volumes inside of the APFS Container, they will share the space and you'll compromise the available space for your Time Machine backups.

You could make a special kind of APFS volume with a "reserve size" and "quota," but it's a silly way to accomplish something more easily accomplished just by starting out with HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) vols.

If you start with two MacOS Extended (Journaled) partitions then Big Sur's Time Machine will convert one to APFS when you target it, but the other will remain intact and both will have fixed capacities.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 392
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020