advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I've been rewatching "The Wire"
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 21, 2021 08:32PM
Are big city police departments, especially the senior leadership, really as dysfunctional as depicted in this TV show?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I've been rewatching "The Wire"
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 21, 2021 09:00PM
My time in NYC says 'yes'

Posted by: vision63
Date: July 21, 2021 10:51PM
That's a big no. Baltimore's department is much improved since even that time, which was a depiction of an earlier time. The Crack Epidemic started in the early 80's to about '92. There is simply much less violent crime now. Oh, Baltimore kinda "is" the exception to the trend. They keep it shooty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2021 10:55PM by vision63.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 21, 2021 11:31PM
The Wire and Homicide; Life in the Streets are unquestionably the two best crime dramas ever written or produced for TV.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 21, 2021 11:32PM
It depends on the city. Lots of cities still have racist policies, and unions that seem to only exist to get killers and incompetents their jobs back after being fired. Philly has a police union pretty close to this (see: Philly D.A.). Shooting people after stopping them for minor traffic infractions, and confiscating money and cars with no related crime is pretty bad too.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 21, 2021 11:40PM
Filliam H. Muffman
It depends on the city. Lots of cities still have racist policies, and unions that seem to only exist to get killers and incompetents their jobs back after being fired. Philly has a police union pretty close to this (see: Philly D.A.)-*. Shooting people after stopping them for minor traffic infractions, and confiscating money and cars with no related crime is pretty bad too.

*That Philly DA today denounced the "let em pay their way out" opoid settlement state Attorneys General arrived at mainly to get the issue off their plate. While blasting the AGs for trying to settle cases they weren't even party to, he pledged to keep his Philly case going to a real conclusion.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: July 22, 2021 12:04AM
The Wire was/is good show.

As far as the question - here in DETROIT we've has a few Police chiefs and city officials since The Wire first aired (including a Former Mayor who just got released from jail early).

Some similarities over the years but more so not....
Posted by: kj
Date: July 22, 2021 01:04AM
So good, but so hard to watch. I'm not sure I finished it completely.

I read something that was essentially what Vision said. Basically a good representation of the time period, which was a long time ago. I'm sure we still have the same type of bs, even though the details aren't the same (same crime, more sophisticated criminals). Do people still use "burner" phones? I don't even know.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 22, 2021 07:14AM
.....like a bird.....on a wire......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 22, 2021 07:36AM
just watched it for the 1st time during panda. Very well done.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 22, 2021 07:50AM
I'm still meaning to watch it.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 22, 2021 07:54AM
It's a brutal mesmerizing portrayal of the times. And a cautionary tale and a tale of some hope.
Date: July 22, 2021 08:01AM
......does it show a lot of.....nekked buTTs.....???

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 22, 2021 08:06AM
NewtonMP2100
......does it show a lot of.....nekked buTTs.....???

And don't forget the F*** scene. A whole scene with only one word used with so many different meanings. The only bits of dialogue that come close would be Groot's dialogue in the Marvel films.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 22, 2021 10:26AM
Incredible show.

It has an interesting anthology that’s not an anthology structure to it. It almost feels like being in a really great dive bar, when all the best patrons are there, and conversation after conversations starts with, “Hey, what the <#*£#}!? ever happened to…”

“Man, you ain’t heard about that?? shhheeeeeeeee… You ain’t gonna believe this.”

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: July 22, 2021 01:02PM
ArtP
The Wire was/is good show.

As far as the question - here in DETROIT we've has a few Police chiefs and city officials since The Wire first aired (including a Former Mayor who just got released from jail early).

Some similarities over the years but more so not....

Kwame is out? Again.

It's hard to believe that people "still" do their shenanigans on government issued cell phones. Kwame should have taught everyone better.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 22, 2021 01:26PM
I wonder how many The Wire fans know several major rolls were played by actors from across the pond?

- Dominic West as Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty - Yorkshire, England
- Idris Elba as Russell 'Stringer' Bell - London, England
- Aidan Gillen as Councilman Tommy Carcetti - Dublin, Ireland
Date: July 22, 2021 02:31PM
When I watched it I had already seen Idris in other things, but I was surprised when I saw "McNulty" in something else. I wouldn't have guessed he was from england. It's always surprising. Like "Longmire" being Australian. That was a trip.

One more thing about the wire: I liked how they covered the same time period from a different perspective. I don't know what it's called, but the way it informed what you had seen in the previous season(s) was way cool. I've not seen that done elsewhere, at least not as effectively.

edit: I actually may not have known Idris was english until I saw him in Luther.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2021 02:38PM by kj.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: July 22, 2021 02:39PM
Still haven't watched but I HAVE watched Treme three times.
Date: July 22, 2021 02:50PM
DeusxMac
I wonder how many The Wire fans know several major rolls were played by actors from across the pond?

They each nailed their parts and continue to.
Date: July 22, 2021 03:21PM
Aiden also played Littlefinger Baelish in GoT.

Since you watched Treme 3x, I'd think you'll dig Wire. A few of the same players started there.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: July 22, 2021 04:20PM
vision63
DeusxMac

Absolutely. I keep checking for more Luther, but they apparently don't understand how much it's needed.
Date: July 22, 2021 04:24PM
Fritz
Aiden also played Littlefinger Baelish in GoT.

Since you watched Treme 3x, I'd think you'll dig Wire. A few of the same players started there.

That's right! I knew I'd seen him somewhere.

Treme was good also, with a lot of the same actors. And they don't worry about making making you feel bad either. Jeez, have mercy winking smiley
Date: July 22, 2021 05:00PM
kj
vision63
DeusxMac

Absolutely. I keep checking for more Luther, but they apparently don't understand how much it's needed.

They keep cheating us on the number of episodes in a "series." Like they all have some other "better" show to do.

soapbox smiley
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 22, 2021 05:34PM
RgrF
The Wire and Homicide; Life in the Streets are unquestionably the two best crime dramas ever written or produced for TV.

Cop Rock would like a word.

smiley-laughing001smiley-laughing001smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Date: July 22, 2021 05:57PM
.....what about wire.......hangers......???

.....no wire......hangers.....?!?!?!??!

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 22, 2021 10:45PM
I was very late to The Wire, but recognized the three actors from UK shows I'd seen.

Some years ago, I was stunned at the number of Brits, Ozzies, and an occasional Kiwi who steal the jobs of American actors.

They are so good at doing a really good American accent.

Jamie Bomber (Battlestar Galactica)
Yvonne Strahovski (Chuck, Handmaid's Tale)
Anthony LaPaglia (Without a Trace, Frasier)
Jim Sturgess (Home Before Dark, Hard Sun)
Michelle Ryan (Bionic Woman, Covert Affairs)
Marianne Jean-Baptiste (Without a Trace)
Ana Torv (Fringe, Mindhunter)
Lennie James (Hung, Line of Duty, Fear the Walking Dead)
Damian Lewis (Life, Homeland)
David Tennant (Gracepoint)

...just to name a very few.

Many of the above and other TV shows have more than one Brit or foreigner playing an American.

There are a lot of Brits who are great at doing American accents.

I don't think the other way round is nearly as numerous.

I'm not sure we get to count Gillian Anderson among that group.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 22, 2021 11:09PM
Mindhunter is another one I'm exited to see more of. Life was great too. They did a good job wrapping it up, considering.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 22, 2021 11:18PM
kj
One more thing about the wire: I liked how they covered the same time period from a different perspective. I don't know what it's called, but the way it informed what you had seen in the previous season(s) was way cool. I've not seen that done elsewhere, at least not as effectively.

Rashamon is often the reference point for storytelling of that general type.

”Kurosawa gives us four versions of the same series of events, through the eyes of the woodcutter, the thief, the woman, and the spirit of the husband, each retelling markedly different from the others. Kurosawa’s visionary approach would have enormous cinematic and cultural influence. He bequeathed to world cinema and television a striking narrative device—countless movies and television shows have remade Rashomon by incorporating the contradictory flashbacks of unreliable narrators.”

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: July 22, 2021 11:28PM
Interesting.
Date: July 23, 2021 06:32AM
speaking of Anna Torv .... Secret City an Australian series. 2 6 ep seasons. I don't believe it was picked up for a 3rd.
Very good espionage type thing.

!#$@@$#!

Date: July 23, 2021 07:22AM
Blankity Blank
kj

Rashamon is often the reference point for storytelling of that general type.

”Kurosawa gives us four versions of the same series of events, through the eyes of the woodcutter, the thief, the woman, and the spirit of the husband, each retelling markedly different from the others. Kurosawa’s visionary approach would have enormous cinematic and cultural influence. He bequeathed to world cinema and television a striking narrative device—countless movies and television shows have remade Rashomon by incorporating the contradictory flashbacks of unreliable narrators.”

.....yup......interesting movie......interesting film......make.....

Date: July 23, 2021 08:06AM
RAMd®d
Damian Lewis (Life, Homeland)
... and Band of Brothers, and Billions

Hugh Laurie in House

Mark Strong and Lennie James in Low Winter Sun (U.S.)

RAMd®d
Anthony LaPaglia (Without a Trace, Frasier)

Actually, LaPaglia did not "steal the jobs of American actors" in Frasier.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: July 23, 2021 12:07PM
Actually, LaPaglia did not "steal the jobs of American actors" in Frasier.

Yeah, I know.

Not every show I listed was meant to be an example of stolen jobs, but some were to show the contrast - (Home Before Dark/Hard Sun).

Some shows have had two, three, even four job stealers, far more than have been listed in this thread.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: davester
Date: July 23, 2021 11:20PM
RAMd®d
Some years ago, I was stunned at the number of Brits, Ozzies, and an occasional Kiwi who steal the jobs of American actors.

They are so good at doing a really good American accent.

The jobs are only stolen if there are available american actors who are as skilled at their craft as the non-americans who land the parts, and the accent has nothing to do with it. IMHO many american actors in general way overact their parts in many dramas and don't have the classical acting training and discipline required in a number of other countries.

I also take issue with those claiming that The Wire is the best TV series ever. Perhaps it's the best american series ever, but it has serious competition from a large number of foreign shows.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 24, 2021 12:34AM
Which foreign series would those be?
Posted by: davester
Date: July 24, 2021 01:00PM
RgrF
Which foreign series would those be?

Lots of UK and some aussie police procedurals. Line of Duty, Happy Valley, Shetland, Broadchurch, etc. Also, Mare of Eastwick (also with english actors) and Breaking Bad are also in the running for best US series ever.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2021 01:05PM by davester.
Date: July 25, 2021 12:09AM
I've seen about half the series you mention, several of them are quite good but in my opinion none measure up to Wire or Life. Couldn't watch Shetland without subs, my Scottish ancestors would have been mortified.
Date: July 25, 2021 03:02AM
Yeah, I have really enjoyed a lot of those Uk shows. I liked bordertown (the finnish one), The Method, which was russian, and I can't remember the one with Kenneth Branaugh that was swedish. A couple really good ones from Iceland too. Oh, and Deadwind (Finnish?). Idk, I have a hard time ranking things. They're all great. Breaking Bad was one of the best, I think. The first season of Casa de Papal is fun too (a little soapy).
Date: July 25, 2021 11:15PM
The jobs are only stolen...

It's a joke, son, a joke.

It's been a long standing joke I started in response to the various outsourcing/buy American posts over the years.

I can't remember the one with Kenneth Branaugh that was swedish.

That was Wallander, and I quite liked it.

Another was Cardinal, a Canadian police procedural with Billy Campbell (this no longer being about stolen US jobs).

There were also multiple versions of The Bridge and The Tunnel that were really good.

I am a big fan of Shetland, though in the season before last I believe, the writers fell into a US trope of having a female cop-protagonist raped, which bothers me on more than one level.

The accent didn't bother me at all, but the recording did.

Play a scene over and over and louder and louder trying to make it intelligible, and when viewing the subtitles, it's 'HTF did they get that out of that!'.

Anyway, my main complaint is that some of these dramas, both foreign and domestic, get really dark, and I need to cleanse my palette with some lighter fare.

But sometimes a series is just too compelling.

Baptiste, with Tchéky Karyo is one of those, a spinoff of the excellent The Missing.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: July 26, 2021 02:03PM
RAMd®d
Anyway, my main complaint is that some of these dramas, both foreign and domestic, get really dark, and I need to cleanse my palette with some lighter fare.

Doc Martin on Acorn TV - gentle & quirky

Gavin & Stacy on HBO - goofy & quirky

The Detectorists on Amazon Prime - gentle & quirky

The Goes Wrong Show on Amazon Prime - very silly
Date: July 26, 2021 07:54PM
.....what about getting wires......crossed......???

Date: July 26, 2021 08:48PM
NewtonMP2100
.....what about getting wires......crossed......???

...or just getting wired?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020